There should be a two-tile wide algae terrarium that allows for water pipe input and output for clean water and polluted water. This would allow large bases to realistically use algae terrariums for oxygen production late game rather than having to abandon them for electrolyzers.

Just now, Koningkrush said:

There should be a two-tile wide algae terrarium that allows for water pipe input and output for clean water and polluted water. This would allow large bases to realistically use algae terrariums for oxygen production late game rather than having to abandon them for electrolyzers.

You mean a carbon skimmer?

Just now, Koningkrush said:

Carbon skimmers don't produce oxygen if I'm not mistaken.
Algae deoxidizers burn through so much algae so quickly that they're only useful for emergencies.

They were slightly buffed recently. Are you looking at the new rates?

3 hours ago, Koningkrush said:

Algae deoxidizers burn through so much algae so quickly that they're only useful for emergencies.

I disagree with this.  I've done the math, and algae consumption isn't too bad if you use algae distillers.  The one and only think keeping me from running them is the time spent delivery water.  If @Koningkrush's idea was implemented I'd be more than happy to use it.

28 minutes ago, Man in the Mist said:

To be fair, the only thing that is really needed is a polluted water output pipe.  You can lightly flood the area where the terrariums are located and the plants will happily suck up the water, making input pipes unnecessary.

Does that work?

Why would an Algae terrarium produce polluted water?  Plants consume nutrients from water and release pure water vapor.  Now obviously the game dose not have water vapor other then steam but the point is that a plant can't produce polluted water.

The terrarium should if anything be consuming polluted water and have a weep-hole (like the natural gas generator) that emits a reduced amount of clean water.  A larger version that has piped inputs would be a logical extension as well.

8 minutes ago, ImpalerWrG said:

Why would an Algae terrarium produce polluted water?  Plants consume nutrients from water and release pure water vapor.  Now obviously the game dose not have water vapor other then steam but the point is that a plant can't produce polluted water.

The terrarium should if anything be consuming polluted water and have a weep-hole (like the natural gas generator) that emits a reduced amount of clean water.  A larger version that has piped inputs would be a logical extension as well.

I'm assuming they are making it produce polluted water to prevent water from simply being destroyed into nothingness. Realistically, it should just consume water and produce more algae.

Then, the algae deoxidizer should probably produce polluted water rather than oxygen (which is what would happen if you were to crush a bunch of algae in a compressor).

I always assumed the deoxidier is stripping oxygen from organic matter which would leave hydro-carbons behind, not just crushing it.

Some concessions to the non-conservation of matter in the game have to be made, Oxygen is simply destroyed when it is breathed and not replaced by anything close to its mass in CO2 as it should be, Coal and Hydrogen don't consume any oxygen when burned etc etc.

Current Terrarium just deletes water, too much water in my opinion to make it worth using but if you view this as a problem the solution is not to generate polluted water as this goes against common knowledge of WHAT plants do.  If something must be fudged, fudge the quantity.  Raise oxygen output, lower water input, make the algae used just once for construction rather then being continually consumed etc.

Archived