Cooling base with pipes

5 minutes ago, Smithe37 said:

Personally I don't like cooling my polluted water down because it's going to pincha peppernut farms. I just make sure that the temperature of the water doesn't go above roughly 70 or 80 Celsius. 

Good notion. You could make two separate systems, most people don't need several nat gas generators worth of polluted water for their peppernut farms anyway I guess (they might, but that would be a really big base!).

8 hours ago, Smithe37 said:

Personally I don't like cooling my polluted water down because it's going to pincha peppernut farms. I just make sure that the temperature of the water doesn't go above roughly 70 or 80 Celsius. 

The point would be to take that cold P-H2O from your Gens, then send that water to be used as coolant for other processes.  Base cooling, Metal Refinery, etc.  This would heat the P-H2O back up.  Depending on what all you are using it to pull heat from, you could easily get it back to a reasonable temperature for Peppers.

Don't want to open a new thread for similar question....

I cool my 2 polymer press with pipe radiator, pipes made out of tungsten. The press are at 54°C, the air between 30 and 50°C . The water in the pipe is 2°C when it enters the room with the presses.

The water in the pipe when it leaves the room has  MINUS 4°C and therefor i get pipe cold damage. Yes, build in ice biome but there is no ice left (obvious with that air temperatur :D )

Anyone an idea why the water cools down instead of cooling the air/press ?

5 hours ago, PhailRaptor said:

The point would be to take that cold P-H2O from your Gens, then send that water to be used as coolant for other processes.  Base cooling, Metal Refinery, etc.  This would heat the P-H2O back up.  Depending on what all you are using it to pull heat from, you could easily get it back to a reasonable temperature for Peppers.

However, in that case it's a bit harder to control the temperature of the P-H2O when reaching the peppers. You could fix that by placing a few heaters in the pepperfarm, but of course that lowers efficiency (not by much though, they don't use that much energy).

37 minutes ago, onlineous said:

However, in that case it's a bit harder to control the temperature of the P-H2O when reaching the peppers. You could fix that by placing a few heaters in the pepperfarm, but of course that lowers efficiency (not by much though, they don't use that much energy).

You could also create a buffer tank near the Peppers, with a Tepidizer in it.  If your base does not heat the P-H2O enough, ThermoSensor flips on the Tepidizer(s)., just in case you don't produce enough heat from your base.

Just now, PhailRaptor said:

You could also create a buffer tank near the Peppers, with a Tepidizer in it.  If your base does not heat the P-H2O enough, ThermoSensor flips on the Tepidizer(s)., just in case you don't produce enough heat from your base.

That's an option, but it lowers efficiency quite severely (extra pump, and some tepidizer action as well). The benefit of using P-H2O is that you use stuff that you have to pump away anyway.

In that case I would rather run the P-H2O pipe through a heat exchanger tank, that does at least cancel out the extra pump.

1 hour ago, onlineous said:

The heaters didn't work well for me, I ended up having to use a tepidizer to heat the P-H2O back up to a temp that would keep the peppers growing.  My NatGas gens I keep in a frozen biome and alternated them so that they all stayed very cold so the P-H2O was very cold coming out.  I tried heaters but they didn't heat up the area around them well at all, I tried a battery bank, eventually tepidizer in a small heating tank was what worked.

3 hours ago, 0xFADE said:

I heat my pw in aquatuner rooms with the intent of boiling it. There is no reason that I couldn't instead suck it back out when it is a nice pepper temperature. 

You could also heat up the gas generator. Hold the generator room at the peppernut temperature and the nat gas generator will produce P-H2O at the right temperature.

15 hours ago, PhailRaptor said:

That's a lot of engineering when there are simpler solutions. Just keep the water at between 40 and 70 and use that for cooling if  you really need to cool these buildings. You don't need these buildings super cooled to below this temperature range.

On 4/11/2018 at 3:21 PM, onlineous said:

I don't say it doesn't work, just that you can make the system more energy efficient, and less complicated. Gas pumps consume quite a lot of power, and produce a bit of heat as well, and it's quite easy to avoid using pumps, except for one pump to pump the hydrogen to the generator.

I've worked with those systems before.  I prefer to pipe my air around so that it goes exactly where I want it.  If I don't use gas pumps, then I have to build an open-plan base, and invariably there will be somewhere important that isn't getting the oxygen it needs.

1 hour ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

I've worked with those systems before.  I prefer to pipe my air around so that it goes exactly where I want it.  If I don't use gas pumps, then I have to build an open-plan base, and invariably there will be somewhere important that isn't getting the oxygen it needs.

For me it's not that difficult, but I tend to build bases with nice spacious open living quarters, and everything else accessible by exosuit. The big upside of having an open base is not only O2 automatically spreads, but CO2 is automatically pushed to the bottom of the base, no need to pump that away either.

Archived