how can i do this without deleting heat?

Instead of directly heating with my volcano I want to buffer whatever heat I can in the magma layer before pulling out solid iron.

I tried this with a diamond heat pipe but that really doesn't work much at all. I ended up just extracting a whole bunch of heat from the magma layer before giving up on that idea. Now I'm stuck cooling down some 30 tons of diamond over the next 300 cycles!

So I figure, just channeling the volcano straight into the magma will be less wasteful and more responsive.

c5AAhzd.png

But I must admit I don't understand the conditions for the heat deletion bug. In this case I do NOT want to delete heat. Will this setup delete heat? And if so, how do I change things to prevent that?

Can use the heat delettion bug: If my eyes don´t fool me you got 2 layers of molten iron, if the top layer is just a small amount of iron it will cool the whole molten iron. (So depending on the amount of iron it can delete heat, not just convey it around.)

the iron only ever becomes 1 tile high before dripping into the magma below.

I have gas in the 2nd tile, made it this way on purpose to be serviceable (though many dupes seem to die while doing maintenance on this system :b)

Heat deletion has another name, cold from above, which means heat deletion only be triggered when bottom is hotter and top is colder.

If you pour hotter liquid into colder liquid, heat deletion will not happen. And iron volcano is much hotter than magma volcano.

Spoiler

Heat deletion only happens when the following four requirements are met.

1. vertical interactions between two cells (high 2*width 1) 

2. both cells have the same kind of element(gas or liquid)

3. top cell is colder.

4. top cell has same or less mass than bottom.

4 minutes ago, Lilalaunekuh said:

Thought the most heat would be lost on the cold gas interacting with a 2 tiles iron column. (iron should be hotter than the magma beneath)

This chamber is designed to purge itself to a vacuum constantly, so that dupe traffic doesn't exhaust heat to the outside.

Somewhat wasteful of electricity while building it, but it keeps me from dumping heat all over the place. And it'll pay off later.

8 minutes ago, R9MX4 said:

Heat deletion has another name, cold from above, which means heat deletion only be triggered when bottom is hotter and top is colder.

If you pour hotter liquid into colder liquid, heat deletion will not happen. And iron volcano is much hotter than magma volcano.

Reveal hidden contents

Heat deletion only happens when the following four requirements are met.

1. vertical interactions between two cells (high 2*width 1) 

2. both cells have the same kind of element(gas or liquid)

3. top cell is colder.

4. top cell has same or less mass than bottom.

Thanks!

4 minutes ago, Kabrute said:

you want to drop an abysallite pump into the magma and pull up bottles and drop them like oozinators bottleocookinator

Kind of. I'm dumping the volcano's heat into the magma layer and then hauling the solidified (but still very hot) iron into a heat recovery chamber. While the volcano is running I'll have plenty of heat to pipe into my heat recovery boiler while still allowing the magma to heat up. Then when the volcano goes dormant and I run out of heat to recover from hot iron, only then will I start drawing heat out of the magma.

Similar in concept but slightly different motivations.

Archived