Doctor Dupes Occupation ?

There probably will be a caregiver/doctor job eventually, but the roll of such a job would be extremely limited.  They would only execute their job when there are sick dupes.  If you handle your base perfectly, your dupes should never get sick to begin with, which would make the job as useless as a late game researcher.  They would need other tasks in their purview, like the creation of medicine and maybe animal husbandry. 

An effective doctor would require more jobs outside of treating the explicitly sick.  Such as

Healing physical injury (bumps on head from falling rocks, burnt fingers from hot equipment, sore backs etc)

Routine Physicals that boost a dups immunity regen for a period (assume a lower base regen to start with)

More diseases including alien parasites that only high level docs can remove/treat.

Would be useful if they ever added a Medical Research Station and migrated the medical tree under it so that you'd study and become a more effective doctor while unlocking crucial research. Food should also have it's own research tree where chefs learn recipes rather than them being coded into the station.

One wild idea: If there ever comes a way to alter how the Printer works (such as improving the stats of dupes about to be printed, or ensuring the next group of three dupes have some specific interests, skills, flaws, or bonuses) then maybe the operation would require a medical doctor dupe to work the machine or program the instructions?

12 minutes ago, Rossum said:

One wild idea: If there ever comes a way to alter how the Printer works (such as improving the stats of dupes about to be printed, or ensuring the next group of three dupes have some specific interests, skills, flaws, or bonuses) then maybe the operation would require a medical doctor dupe to work the machine or program the instructions?

I'm obsessed with the printer! I suggested a long time ago that you should be able to upgrade the printer to allow "better" dupes to be rolled with rare skills but also with the possibility of creating something horrifying, like a morb-man (though he'd be pretty useful truthfully) or an Eets-man. That would be the genetic engineering tree.

Thought it would also be cool to have a broken printer in the ruins that you could repair and either double the amount of dupes being created or accidentally start importing "hostile" dupes that would try to sabotage your base or rebuild the ruins at the expense of your base by using up resources. You'd then have to consider combat against them or building to contain them.

Also saw it as an end game possibility where you'd able to reverse the printer to be able to escape.

5 hours ago, Zarquan said:

There probably will be a caregiver/doctor job eventually, but the roll of such a job would be extremely limited.  They would only execute their job when there are sick dupes.  If you handle your base perfectly, your dupes should never get sick to begin with, which would make the job as useless as a late game researcher.  They would need other tasks in their purview, like the creation of medicine and maybe animal husbandry. 

Bear in mind that higher difficulty settings make sickness far more likely to occur.  There's also medicine production, and the Disinfect task could be added to a Caregiver's list of tasks.  But for the most part what you said is true.  What that tells me is we need a new aggressive disease or two and we need hostile threats that can and will result in injured dupes, be they space pirates, aggressive critters, malfunctioning robots left behind by those who ran the Gravitas Facility, etc.

5 minutes ago, goboking said:

Bear in mind that higher difficulty settings make sickness far more likely to occur.  There's also medicine production, and the Disinfect task could be added to a Caregiver's list of tasks.  But for the most part what you said is true.  What that tells me is we need a new aggressive disease or two and we need hostile threats that can and will result in injured dupes, be they space pirates, aggressive critters, malfunctioning robots left behind by those who ran the Gravitas Facility, etc.

I play on miserable and I can generally avoid sickness pretty well through rigorous cleanliness and staying away from those slime biomes whenever possible.  The thing is, if you need a dedicated doctor, your colony is dying because dupes don't regenerate immunity on miserable (-15% immunity/cycle).

My thinking is that dupes should injure themselves occasionally and have to go to the med bay.  Like, if a low level tinkerer tinkers on a high level thing, they can hurt themselves.  The chance can go down with higher levels of tinkering and mastery of tinkering jobs.

Just now, goboking said:

PS - if Flammable materials are ever made to be combustible then fires and explosions could be another source of physical injury.

I bet there will be fire and explosions in the future.  Some chemicals are marked as flammable and everything.

PPS - While we're on the subject, I want to throw the following ideas into the hat.

1. The Med-Beds would benefit from sliders for health thresholds similar to those used for stress on the Massage Table.
  2. I wouldn't mind something analogous to caffeine pills (perhaps using pinch peppers?) that boost stamina recover and Athletics for a day or two.
  3. Nor would I mind medicine analogous to anxiety suppressants to reduce a dupe's stress and Athletics for a day or so.

3 hours ago, Zarquan said:

I bet there will be fire and explosions in the future.  Some chemicals are marked as flammable and everything.

Here's hoping you're right.

Archived