Water and Polluted Water behaving weird when mixed

Hello good gamers I'm a veteran on Oxygen not Included, and have started 3 colonies that have passed cycle 250. After that I noticed there was not much to do except survive, and with each major upgrade I try new things.

So, with that in mind, my problem is when some clean water falls into a pool of polluted water they behave like oil and water, they stay separated and worse, when there are "2 tiles" high of polluted water and some water on the surface when a pump is pulling water the water behaves weird and don't spread correctly and leaves a huge "U" shape in the place where my pump is, preventing it from pumping due to the lack of liquid. Water already behaves weird since the beggining, but that is weird.

I havent mixed many liquids in my games, water, polluted water, oil but water and water (even polluted) should like I dont know, combine? i'm not talking about both liquids dilute but to move and behave like gasses do, like moving freely in pockets of liquids. That would make moping clusters of pulluted water a nightmare whenever there is an accident, but c'mon. How can you mop the bottom of a pool? I don't think that was intended.

16 minutes ago, travaldofan said:

Polluted water is heavier than water...

This is not true.  Just like P-O2 and O2, they maintain their positions relative to each other until there is a significant pressure differential or loss of one substance.  Unless you are deliberately transforming clean H2O to P-H2O, you should avoid mixing them whenever possible.

17 minutes ago, travaldofan said:

... u can mix them with if u build liquid vent inside polluted water and build tile on top of the liquid vent. Water will become polluted water. 

There are conditions, though.  You can't just dump H2O into P-H2O and expect it to change.  You will end up simply layering the reservoir in alternating volumes of the 2 liquids, which will then result in a lot of flow problems trying to get anything out of the tank with a Liquid Pump.

To deliberately mix them, you need to build a Liquid Vent close to the bottom of a tank already containing a few layers of P-H2O, then begin pumping the clean H2O into the tank.  Clean H2O must be surrounded by 3+ tiles of P-H2O of sufficient volume to transform.

4 hours ago, travaldofan said:

it works.

It doesn't even need to be that deep. This works fine too:

B6b9kDt.jpg

The only condition I have found is that there must be enough polluted water in the side tiles. When I tried it with full water tile (1000 kg) and just a few kg of polluted water on each side, it did not work.

6 hours ago, PhailRaptor said:

This is not true.  Just like P-O2 and O2, they maintain their positions relative to each other until there is a significant pressure differential or loss of one substance.  Unless you are deliberately transforming clean H2O to P-H2O, you should avoid mixing them whenever possible.

No. PW is heavier than water. It will always sink to the bottom.

40 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

No. PW is heavier than water. It will always sink to the bottom.

And this has been tested?  Because I have never experienced this, and I have seen quite a number of screenshots from others that disagree with it.

41 minutes ago, PhailRaptor said:

And this has been tested?  Because I have never experienced this, and I have seen quite a number of screenshots from others that disagree with it.

Well obviously. I'm surprised you haven't?

Anyway. This is how a gravity liquid sorter works. It sorts liquids by which is the heaviest. It's a pretty standard build to be honest. I just expanded it with a high pressure liquid storage and the pitcher pump so you have access to all 4 standard liquids in the game at the same time.

Naphtha would slot in between crude oil and petroleum but it's not something you commonly make or even use so there's no reason to sort or store it.

At the time this screen shot was taken I had over 1000 tonnes of water and crude oil stored in the high pressure storage.

image.thumb.png.2a8b02dd3d7b4adf41505232b4ccd9c2.png

21 minutes ago, PhailRaptor said:

Yes it's been tested. You may have them mixed in all kinds of ways, especially if ground/wall tiles are involved, but if there is a tile of polluted water directly above tile of clean water, they will always immediately switch places.

That is amazing. Although I didnt mean to mix them on purpose I didn't knew they could convert if sourrounded. Interesting. Even so, it doesnt solve my problem, since the layer of clean water on top of my polluted water can't be cleaned, since stays at the top and my pumps only can be placed at the bottom. Haven't tried the minipump though.

1 hour ago, FullMetalArthur said:

That is amazing. Although I didnt mean to mix them on purpose I didn't knew they could convert if sourrounded. Interesting. Even so, it doesnt solve my problem, since the layer of clean water on top of my polluted water can't be cleaned, since stays at the top and my pumps only can be placed at the bottom. Haven't tried the minipump though.

Pumps don't need to be on solid ground. You can just stick one a few tiles up, at the level of the clean water.

2 hours ago, FullMetalArthur said:

You can place a mesh tile at the top layer of polluted water and that should separate the clean water to the top of the tile where it can mopped up (assuming there's not too much volume). This has worked for me.

How does that high pressure liquid storage work? I assume the tile with the vents are full of some gas? And the double hydro sensors on the gravity sorter are to prevent fluids from getting sucked into the wrong pump?

This doesn't do anything to prevent germs from hopping between PWater and Water, so you need germ free Pwater, too?

54 minutes ago, TheScaryOne said:

How does that high pressure liquid storage work? I assume the tile with the vents are full of some gas? And the double hydro sensors on the gravity sorter are to prevent fluids from getting sucked into the wrong pump?

This doesn't do anything to prevent germs from hopping between PWater and Water, so you need germ free Pwater, too?

It's hydrogen. It's the easiest gas to work with in a survival game, well, it could be CO2 as well. As long it's either the lightest or the heaviest gas.

One hydro sensor is to turn on the pump at 300kg to send to storage. The other is a safety that registers too high level of each liquid with a safety margin. Anyone of them triggering will engage the shut off valves.

The whole ting is cooled to 4-5C so germs have no chance of propagating. But that's not entirely needed. You can also just avoid getting germs there in the first place by having a separate place for polluted germy water to go.

Archived