Why do Mechanized Airlocks need power?

1 hour ago, Xarian said:

I think they'd be a lot more balanced if they either didn't work at all, or worked as manual airlocks without power...

Interestingly, the tooltip says "Functions as a Manual Airlock when no Power is available."

Given that, I'd assume they just haven't implemented the slow-down yet.

It's an untied end. The description suggests devs intended to make it slow when unpowered and fast when powered, but that was never implemented. Later, access rights were added for powered airlocks. But then the powering restriction was lifted and access rights were extended to all doors. Now it has no use again, except it stands in the way when pulling bunch of wires through a corridor.

I guess powering might be required in the future for the door to be automated? Or maybe devs will remove it altogether? Who knows.

12 minutes ago, ScottFree said:

They can be automated and afaik automated devices require power. 

Automated doors don't require power. Not at the moment, at least. Perhaps they should? I wouldn't be against it, though I'd prefer them to take 10 W steady rate instead of 120 W only while they open/close.

3 hours ago, SkunkMaster said:

This is the same as the fridge cooling food without power.

some functions are not implemented, part of early release / beta.

Don't your food become stale? Last time I check, it still write unrefrigerated even though it's 4 C and everything in it rot normally.

13 minutes ago, Albreo said:

Don't your food become stale? Last time I check, it still write unrefrigerated even though it's 4 C and everything in it rot normally.

Mine does when stored in a Fridge.  There must be some extra step to trigger that.

Then again, it would eventually go stale either way, but it would have the "Refrigerated" buff, making it take substantially longer.  You'd need a non-O2 gas to give the "sterile environment" buff to prevent spoilage entirely.  A lot of people use Chlorine for the extra disinfection as a bonus.

2 hours ago, Kasuha said:

Automated doors don't require power. Not at the moment, at least. Perhaps they should? I wouldn't be against it, though I'd prefer them to take 10 W steady rate instead of 120 W only while they open/close.

Other automated machines need power, like shut-offs. Power for mechanized doors seems like an unintended requirement that ended up make sense with automation.

Archived