Liquid pipe thermal conductivity test

11 minutes ago, Kasuha said:

shows some interesting behavior with more heat transfer from the hot pipe than from the cold pipe.

I've already predicted it before doing the experiment.

In this post, it says in Cell/Building transfers, the heat capacity of the heat source (Chot) make a great effect.

Between hot pipe and gas, the hot pipe works as the heat source.

Between cold pipe and gas, the gas works as the heat source.

So when the pipe is cold, the heat capacity and the mass of the gas are the bigger the better.

20 minutes ago, Kasuha said:

from oxygen to petroleum, 2 kg per tile. And lo and behold, they all held their 320 k

But this is really strange, humm…

59 minutes ago, R9MX4 said:

But this is really strange, humm…

It's also not quite true. There is small movements in temperature. It's only on the matter of +-0.1 to +-0.2 but the temperature does not remain stable at precisely 320K with 2kg per tile of petroleum.

The difference may or may not be larger when run more than the 10 cycle test run I did.

EDIT: The issue with petroleum is almost certainly related to the temp shift plates. When I remove it and place tungsten tiles over the pipes and have a single tile of petroleum in between we see the expected results as shown by your test above. 

I reran a variant of my experiment with gases.

Idn2bOk.jpg

I must admit that out of four pipe materials I tried, granite is best when heating up. The difference can be seen even in the temp overlay, sedimentary rock and obsidian have the nice gradient and less heated oxygen at the end than granite and obsidian, with granite being just a bit better.

LNZRcaj.jpg

When running it the other way (cooling), I don't see any differences between different materials after giving it enough time to settle down (and it took several cycles).

ZtRNv8x.jpg

So... yeah, if you're heating up a gas with a radiator, then granite is best thanks to heat transfer-fu obviously implemented by devs on purpose.

For all other purposes, all materials are equal.

44 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

EDIT: The issue with petroleum is almost certainly related to the temp shift plates. When I remove it and place tungsten tiles over the pipes and have a single tile of petroleum in between we see the expected results as shown by your test above. 

I did the experiment without tempshift plates too and while the center tile was oscillating by +/- 0.1 C, it was not traveling in any direction over multiple cycles. Unlike when running the experiment without tempshift plates and with oxygen, which I obviously also tried.

5 minutes ago, Kasuha said:

For all other purposes, all materials are equal.

I did the experiment without tempshift plates too and while the center tile was oscillating by +/- 0.1 C, it was not traveling in any direction over multiple cycles. Unlike when running the experiment without tempshift plates and with oxygen, which I obviously also tried.

I'm seeing up to 4.1C differences after 10 cycles when using tungsten tiles temperated to 320K first over the pipes and then adding one tile of 320K petroleum in between. 

8 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

I'm seeing up to 4.1C differences after 10 cycles when using tungsten tiles temperated to 320K first over the pipes and then adding one tile of 320K petroleum in between

Well, obviously the pipe was heating up oxygen, not petroleum im such case. There's no disagreement with my results.

Edit: sorry, did not read it carefully enough.

Okay, it still does not disagree with my experiment results, you're just putting solid matter state into the equation. You may be right about it.

The radiator design needed to achieve that feels a bit convoluted to me, though. So let's put it as that my conclusions apply to "simple" radiators made of pipes containing one medium which are placed directly in the other involved medium, without other means of heat transport between the two media.

I'll try pipes embedded in solid tiles later when I have time.

Archived