Morbs and Pufts with algae distillers

I been trying to find a reliable source of PW for my fertilizer synthesizers.  The Nat gens don't produce enough and the PW from my lavatories aren't consistent.  Also I can't use my carbon skimmers because I need to use them to control water temp from a steam geyser.

So I looked into using distillers with Morbs and Pufts.  I get a constant flow of PW and as a bonus I get algae for oxygen production.

My question is how many Morbs and Pufts does it take to produce 600 g/s of slime for the distiller?  In the picture I have 20 Morbs and 5 Pufts and it's not enough

20180221190824_1.thumb.jpg.f1ff485f879cc1d77e4730535e89f2a3.jpg

One other method is to pump polluted water into a sieve then send the clean water deep enough into a PW reservoir to get polluted again.  Then have the dupes put the polluted dirt into composts to get converted into fertilizer.  This is especially useful if you have more sand than you know what to do with.

31 minutes ago, Man in the Mist said:

One other method is to pump polluted water into a sieve then send the clean water deep enough into a PW reservoir to get polluted again.  Then have the dupes put the polluted dirt into composts to get converted into fertilizer.  This is especially useful if you have more sand than you know what to do with.

seems kind of slow for what I'm asking, I need the PW for fertilizer synthesizer which drinks 150 g/s of PW each and I have many to power my Nat gens and keep my greenhouses supplied 

OTOH they're pretty easy to set up (even multiple sieve/pump combinations in a small space) and you're not actually losing any water.  The only thing being really consumed is sand and whatever medium is being used for power.  360W per setup.

Thinking about it a bit more, if you have a geyser you're not really using you can divert its water into a polluted water reservoir and get the water you need that way.

Eh, the Morb -> Puft -> Slime -> Algae -> Oxygen chain has long been used as a fun quirk to get renewable algae. Though, those set ups are not normally as large and produce polluted water as a waste product, not the intended resource. 

1 hour ago, Oozinator said:

Can the robocop arm reach through the tiles, where the puffs poop slime?

yes they can reach through airflow and mesh tiles, I set that up so the polluted oxygen and chlorine don't mix 

1 hour ago, Roboson said:

Eh, the Morb -> Puft -> Slime -> Algae -> Oxygen chain has long been used as a fun quirk to get renewable algae. Though, those set ups are not normally as large and produce polluted water as a waste product, not the intended resource. 

polluted water might not be the intended resource but it is what I need

Not sure what the point of this build is? If you want to make slime then the mob>puft thing is great, and has been well used since initial release - however why use all that slime just for algae?

Surely if you're at the point where you're making conveyors and worrying about trapping pufts, etc - you should be well beyond algae needs?

Better to use this system for making slime, cool it or disinfect it, then use it where you need it most (most likely for mushroom farms, etc)

In which case, there are more optimal ways of doing this same thing by using polluted water - which most colonies have in excess.

I'm just struggling to understand what the point of this is basically?

1 minute ago, Lifegrow said:

Not sure what the point of this build is? If you want to make slime then the mob>puft thing is great, and has been well used since initial release - however why use all that slime just for algae?

Surely if you're at the point where you're making conveyors and worrying about trapping pufts, etc - you should be well beyond algae needs?

Better to use this system for making slime, cool it or disinfect it, then use it where you need it most (most likely for mushroom farms, etc)

In which case, there are more optimal ways of doing this same thing by using polluted water - which most colonies have in excess.

I'm just struggling to understand what the point of this is basically?

The point was PW

The whole point is to make another source of polluted water. 

As for the system, I've always been a fan of puft/morb combo. I used to use it often before OU.

I actually love the idea. But if you're looking just for polluted water, you could always make more showers. Dupe's will shower basically as often as they're physically capable of. 

1 minute ago, Roboson said:

The whole point is to make another source of polluted water. 

As for the system, I've always been a fan of puft/morb combo. I used to use it often before OU.

I actually love the idea. But if you're looking just for polluted water, you could always make more showers. Dupe's will shower basically as often as they're physically capable of. 

Just now, Lifegrow said:

Ahhh I see, my mistake - are we ever short of polluted water?

The main reason is I been using a lot Fertilizer Synthesizers for nat gas production.  But I'm starting to think I should look into boiling oil instead as the amount of morbs it would take to run 24 Fertilizer Synthesizers would cause my game to crash

7 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

The main reason is I been using a lot Fertilizer Synthesizers for nat gas production.  But I'm starting to think I should look into boiling oil instead as the amount of morbs it would take to run 24 Fertilizer Synthesizers would cause my game to crash

Well not really - morbs can output a heck of a lot more than 25g/s, like ridiculous amounts more - you just need to trick them by submerging them in a little polluted water. I reckon you could probably do this build with 4-5 of them maybe, although it's a long time since I built a morb pit so it may well have been fixed...

There used to be a very detailed thread on creating PO2 back when everyone was hyped up over making liquid oxygen, but I can't find the thread for love nor money.

I had some screenies in there of morbs outputting silly amounts of PO2 - but that was before the oil nerf, so it's going back a little now...

Here's a vid from back then and you should be able to see what I mean :

Perhaps look into other methods for cooling that steam geyser you mentioned. You should be able to scale up waste PW of your NGGs to fertilizer makers, and then take the natural gas from that to power more NGG, and just rinse and repeat until you have a giant power plant. 

If power is the end goal, diversifying into other power sources would help lessen the load on your NGGs. 

1 minute ago, Roboson said:

If power is the end goal, diversifying into other power sources would help lessen the load on your NGGs. 

I'm already using the extra fertilizer to feed hatches for coal and I also use 2 petro gens that turn on when my smart batteries drop below 10% for emergency

Just now, Neotuck said:

Thanks, I'll check it out and see if I can upgrade my setup

Yeah, do some tinkering - it may well have been fixed, but if not you're golden.

I forgot to mention, the reason I was asking what the point was is in case you wanted something for slime generation - I did a simple little build using polluted water and some pufts to generate germ free slime for my mushrooms.

image.thumb.png.238100f6440e0c087eefd11382e2ddfc.png

The water is cooled to around 6 degrees which kills off the slimelung pretty quickly.

Archived