cooled geyser water: reliable and automated at <20°C

I proudly present an automated way of cooling geyser water straight down to ~16°C with minimal energy input. Build exclusively in debug mode and exploiting a bug twice :D

B_WaterCooling.thumb.png.4c27483d5af3cb515166d499ecf174b4.png
(Note: I corrected the automation, so the third pic contains the correct wiring but differs from the others. The sensors etc. remain unchanged.)

The approach is simple:
Water from a geyser is collected in the first chamber (A) until it reaches ~12,800l. Then the chamber closes releases the water to the second chamber (B). Here it will be cooled exploiting the drip-cooling-bug using ~15°C cold water from chamber (C). Once the temperature is below 20°C, the water is released the chambers below: chamber (C) receives a bit to stay always full. The rest flows into chamber (D) at roughly ~16°C and will be kept there until further use.  

Details:

Chamber (A): limits incoming water  
- can be filled from several geysers (2) but water should come slow. Water temperature does not matter.
- The upper doors closes if all conditions are met:
--- content reaches ~  12,800l  
--- the main switch (1) is on  (every system should have a main switch, even if useless :) )

- the lower doors open only if all conditions are met:
--- the upper doors are closed
--- chamber (B) is closed
--- chamber (B) is nearly empty (6)
--- chamber (D) does not contain more than 24,000l of cold water  (8)

Chamber (B): cools the water
- pumps cool water from camber (C) in, to cool down the containing water if all conditions are met:
--- chamber (B) is full (4)
--- chamber (B) contains water hotter than 20°C (5)

- the cooled water is released to the chambers below if all conditions are met:
--- chamber (B) is full (4)
--- chamber (B) contains water cooler than 20°C (5)

Chamber (C): source of cooling  
- the only purpose is to store cold water
- it cools itself using the drip-exploit once the contained water become hotter than 20°C (7). This is also used for priming the system
- it gets refilled every time chamber (B) releases the water. Excess water flows into chamber (D)
- it is the only active energy consumer  for cooling but barely runs

Chamber (D): storage of cold water  
- stores the cooled water
- if more than double the quantity of cooled water is available (8) it stops the wholes system by preventing the very first doors to be opened

Material
- all temperature sensors are made of Tungsten
- all walls are made of Abyssalite  
- the aqua cooler is made out of gold
- tubes are made of Abyssalite  
The rest I didn’t really care

Testing
I tested the system using this setup:
 TestSetup.thumb.png.d13afba2d5706a8a160f0c8d7b5a7bcc.png
While filling the huge tank below, the temperature of the bypassing water never went over 20°C (automation at the bottom)

Rationale  
Now that bristle blossom are really needed I wanted a reliable source of cold water. And instead of cooling a bit of farming water additionally to sinks and showers that heat up from Geyser water, I wanted to address the root of the problem.

Comments ?
Any thoughts? Any improvements? They are welcome.

Save file
BUILD WaterCoolingGeyser.sav

You know, the more solutions with the drip cooling bug we get, the more the devs will get motivated to fix it.

Cool solution though.

7 hours ago, Saturnus said:

It's actually the Valentine Cooler in disguise :D

Right, it got inspired by the valentines day cooler. And all other setups using the drip cooling effect.

But what puzzled me in this approach was that:

Unbenannt.PNG.6199c407e27c3700d9854f2f202910bf.PNG

The valentines day cooler uses a mysterious source of cold water. Potentially it could come from  a friendly fairy. But in fact, this question remains unsolved. Thus I integrated this problem in my approach.  Maybe because mine is less beautiful and thus less likely to attract fairies :D

8 hours ago, BT_20 said:

This design is cool and all but you know you can just slap a borg cube on top of geyser and that’s all you need to have the output you want

Ah, I didn't know that, but I will try. Thx!  

However mine is using nearly no power. Once Chamber C is filled with cool water theoretically it should stay cold. If this is relevant, as power is basically unlimited, is at the players discretion.

BTW: why is this drip-cooling-aqua-tuner-thing called borg cube?

3 hours ago, habuky said:

BTW: why is this drip-cooling-aqua-tuner-thing called borg cube?

Because I accidentally called it that once. It was meant as a joke because like Borg cubes of Star Trek they are square and runs on little understood but fairly advanced technology. Some see them as evil personified. And like the Borgs they will assimilate you. Resist as you may, eventually you will use them and join the collective.

They used to be called supercoolers but the Borg Cube name just stuck. 

On 2/20/2018 at 4:12 PM, Kabrute said:

this is basically the borg cube spread across a room

could you link a borg cube/steam geyser setup? i get the borg cube but i wonder what it looks like in practice. i used the valentine's day system but it tends to be inconsistent.

maybe they wont remove that bug or exploit because it triggers players creativeness, just like this one, different approach the same "exploit"
if they do remove this exploits we will solely rely on higher power generation to supply for aqua tuners
this is a conspiracy theory, devs added the steam engine which provides lots of power so that we can support multiple aqua tuners for future updates, they are warming up the stage before removing this exploits

On 2/21/2018 at 4:36 PM, Saturnus said:

Because I accidentally called it that once. It was meant as a joke because like Borg cubes of Star Trek they are square and runs on little understood but fairly advanced technology. Some see them as evil personified. And like the Borgs they will assimilate you. Resist as you may, eventually you will use them and join the collective.

They used to be called supercoolers but the Borg Cube name just stuck. 

so thats how it started, i always thought you took it from "icebergs"

6 hours ago, ScottFree said:

could you link a borg cube/steam geyser setup? i get the borg cube but i wonder what it looks like in practice. i used the valentine's day system but it tends to be inconsistent.

look at the top of the pic saturnus posted there

Archived