Idling legal? Idle mods legal?

I'm in a group of DST Players in LA and something really called out my attention, Someone posted he got his account banned for idling, But when i saw the hud in the screenshot where it said he got banned, He had a mod called "auto gift opener" (Something like that, It was removed like 2 weeks after it got published), And then i saw many comments of people saying that they've been getting banned for just being AFK in their own worlds with Godmode on

I Want to try to clarify my doubt about this and explain it to the group where i am too, Is Idling with just Godmode legal? and: Is Idling with the mod that got deleted legal? 

Thanks for your attention! 

51 minutes ago, Funny Valentine said:

I'm in a group of DST Players in LA and something really called out my attention, Someone posted he got his account banned for idling, But when i saw the hud in the screenshot where it said he got banned, He had a mod called "auto gift opener" (Something like that, It was removed like 2 weeks after it got published), And then i saw many comments of people saying that they've been getting banned for just being AFK in their own worlds with Godmode on

I Want to try to clarify my doubt about this and explain it to the group where i am too, Is Idling with just Godmode legal? and: Is Idling with the mod that got deleted legal? 

Thanks for your attention! 

I doubt he got banned for just Godmode idling, mostly because I don't think it's illegal. Sure, it's in poor taste but they still paid for the game and they will play it how they see fit. However, the fact is the mod probably got taken down for a good reason, so even if you had downloaded the mod manually I wouldn't recommend flaunting it (or using it), it could potentially result in a reprimand or worse. It crossed the line somewhere.

Note: I'm not condoning idling in any way. In fact, I think it's messed up that people actually set it up so they have multiple accounts and idle for skins for the purpose of making money, not playing the game. The mod I'm sure helped facilitate that, so Klei removed it.

As for the people claiming it got their accounts banned from using the mod, whether or not that's true it should be enough of an answer for you.

idling isn't illegal. that's kind of a dumb thing to assume.

you're not getting any advantages out of idling other than not needing to play the game to do it. you spend the same amount of time getting presents idling as someone who plays the game normally.

if anything people who idle just add supply to the community market, and thats fine. they bought the game (or someone bought it for them), and it's ultimately their decision to play it, or idle. i'd much rather actually play the game to earn my skins than just sit there, but hey, to each their own, right?

as for the auto-opener, well, that one was actually an advantage idlers had. so i think it being removed was a good thing.

I think there's a major difference between something illegal and that the devs don't want a specific mod on the workshop they support.

Idling itself is fine in itself, technicially you are still playing the game in a certain way. (Just that you aren't doing anything, and you are in god mode.)

A mod that specificially aims to idle and open presents you get for playing as small rewards, but I can totally understand if the devs wouldn't want that on the Mod workshop or being used. It's still not illegal, since you aren't hacking or cheating in a way that other people or the devs have any disadvantage or problems with it.

If you are still using the mod for yourself, I don't see a reason why it should be illegal, etc. Maybe not encouraged by the Devs, but not illegal if that makes sense.

If people really are being reprimanded for using mods that aid in AFK gift gathering it would be nice to see the exact stance Klei has on the matter so the community knows what lines can and cannot be crossed.

As far as I'm aware afking in any form to get gifts isn't bannable, so if it is related to the mod then I think there's more to the mod than just auto-opening gifts because that seems really tame for a ban.

Spoiler
2 hours ago, ItsPizzaTime said:

If people really are being reprimanded for using mods that aid in AFK gift gathering it would be nice to see the exact stance Klei has on the matter so the community knows what lines can and cannot be crossed.

As far as I'm aware afking in any form to get gifts isn't bannable, so if it is related to the mod then I think there's more to the mod than just auto-opening gifts because that seems really tame for a ban.

Yeah as far as I know they've never released a set of rules regarding what is and isn't ok (in terms of idling and idling mods). I agree that it'd really help though, and possibly stop people from accidentally making mods that aren't OK with the company.

Spoiler
15 minutes ago, Residays said:

TF2 doesn't allow you to obtain items via external programs and was made by Valve, who created Steam, so there's probably something out of Klei's hands out there.

I didn't even think of the possibility it was a steam anti-cheat, but considering how severe they are when it comes to stuff with the community market this is a completely valid point. Unfortunately unless Klei were to release an official statement on this question we won't really be able to know. In reality, I could see the mod being taken down by Klei or Steam equally.

Archived