How do I find my backpack?

Any number of times I have thrown down my backpack for armor at a moments notice and have had trouble finding it again. Current game among the clutter of my camp I haven't been able to find it at all, I've wasted days walking around trying to find my backpack that I know should be near by. Another game I gave up on a backpack entirely and just made a new one, and never did find the original.

Could a pig or spider have eaten my backpack? Could it have rotted away? What about the stuff in it? Or is there a trick to finding it?

Do backpacks show up on original nonextended maps?

How long do they take to rot? Do rotted backpacks show with the extended radar icon mod? 

Regardless of whether the backpack is showing on the radar or not (and considering I can't find it right after battle)  sometimes the issue is, too many icons and stuff cluttering up the area so I can't see the backpack icon or even the backpack itself because its behind something. Is there a way to zoom in on the map?  Is there a way/mod to disable all icons but backpack or something? 

Do mobs ever do anything to backpacks? Is a backpack just as good as a chest if you never wear it?

17 hours ago, truepurple said:

How long do they take to rot? Do rotted backpacks show with the extended radar icon mod? 

Regardless of whether the backpack is showing on the radar or not (and considering I can't find it right after battle)  sometimes the issue is, too many icons and stuff cluttering up the area so I can't see the backpack icon or even the backpack itself because its behind something. Is there a way to zoom in on the map?  Is there a way/mod to disable all icons but backpack or something? 

Do mobs ever do anything to backpacks? Is a backpack just as good as a chest if you never wear it?

I just noticed rotting doesn't make the icon disappear, my bad.

And yes you can zoom in and out with the mouse wheel I suggest you give the controls a read.

The mobs don't attack and while they can be used as a chest that is entirely up to your own choice, I find making chests a better choice since wood is easier to use and I like to keep grass for lights, which is a need.

Not sure if there's a mod for that though.

Anywho, since you're definitely new, I think you should refund Don't Starve while you have the chance and get Don't Starve Together instead.

10 hours ago, truepurple said:

I know you can change the zoom to a degree with scroll, but that only gets so close that way. I need to get much closer than I can get with scroll wheel, is there a way?

Bags only rot in DST.

The only thing i can think of is it burning and dropping its items. (piggy back and Krampus sack don't burn)

Krampus or a lure plant could have ate it.

or its hidden behind a tree or rock.

If you are feeling frustrated you can open the console by pressing the tilde key on your English keyboard and use the gonext command to jump to available backpacks in the world.

c_gonext(“backpack”)

Open up the map and you will see backpack icon on it. Then look for your face icon. Based on location of your face and your backpack on the map you should be able to figure out where to go to find it.

Use spacebar to automatically pick up anything that is near you. useful when it hides behind some structure and you don't want to rotate the camera.

Archived