Anybody found a way to feed Hatches without manual dropping?

4 minutes ago, Falcahtas said:

Automatic feeding of hatches is nice but still using coal generators is quite hard to make completely sustainable. You really need to be able to generate 1kg of mass per second just to generate 600W from a single generator.

If you're using coal gens at 100% uptime, you've got bigger problems than needing additional coal - i'd probably suggest a new base ;) 

As I said earlier - I think multiple power sources is the key here.

The best way to feed them  and also  reduce the chores for your dupes is have them walking around in the bathroom room next to the sink.  sink drops  polluted water bottles. and they'll just eat the bottles up-  so ur dupe doesn't have to drop off the polluted water.

2 minutes ago, RonEmpire said:

The best way to feed them  and also  reduce the chores for your dupes is have them walking around in the bathroom room next to the sink.  sink drops  polluted water bottles. and they'll just eat the bottles up-  so ur dupe doesn't have to drop off the polluted water.

Best way to post in a thread, is to read the entire thread, before posting something that's already been discussed :D 

4 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

Best way to post in a thread, is to read the entire thread, before posting something that's already been discussed :D 

no need to get nasty there.  I read the entire posting here.  i'm just chiming in with my experience to the question asked.  feeding hatch without having to manually feed them.   the polluted water bottle is just automatic from sinks. 

your suggestion was  poop, i'm just throwing in extra information  that nobody else mentioned which was the sink. generated polluted water bottles.

Just now, RonEmpire said:

no need to get nasty there.  I read the entire posting here.  i'm just chiming in with my experience to the question asked.  feeding hatch without having to manually feed them.   the polluted water bottle is just automatic from sinks. 

Wait, that wasn't me being nasty.... I was just pointing out in a cheeky way that you hadn't read the thread entirely. What you'd contributed had already been said. Meh, forget it.

Look-  i'm throwing extra information that was NOT mentioned in the thread about the sink ALSO generating something for the hatch to eat - in addition to the outhouse poop. 

TLDR-   bathroom  is best place for hatch  in many ways, as there are lots of unwanted materials that can feed hatch.

3 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

Wait, that wasn't me being nasty.... I was just pointing out in a cheeky way that you hadn't read the thread entirely. What you'd contributed had already been said. Meh, forget it.

Before getting all cheeky,   and jumping the gun.   think about what i'm contributing-  it was NOT mentioned in the thread about the polluted water from the sink.  so go back and read the thread again.

1 minute ago, RonEmpire said:

Look-  i'm throwing extra information that was NOT mentioned in the thread about the sink ALSO generating something for the hatch to eat - in addition to the outhouse poop. 

TLDR-   bathroom  is best place for hatch  in many ways, as there are lots of unwanted materials that can feed hatch.

Errr well I'd assume most people would upgrade to sinks and lavatories 

1 minute ago, Falcahtas said:

Errr well I'd assume most people would upgrade to sinks and lavatories 

I don't bother with that upgrade cuz the polluted water bottle = great source for feeding hatch-  the coal from that is better than having to pump polluted water around.

Just now, RonEmpire said:

I don't bother with that upgrade cuz the polluted water bottle = great source for feeding hatch-  the coal from that is better than having to pump polluted water around.

but polluted water can be used for fertilizer gen and that give you both natural gas and food for hatches.  That give you two sources of power for the price of one

4 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

but polluted water can be used for fertilizer gen and that give you both natural gas and food for hatches.  That give you two sources of power for the price of one

Yes- But i'm offering  you a solution to ALSO getting coal with polluted bottles.

Early in the game,  you can stock pile that before you even research   fertilizer gen.  You can still get the polluted water  from  the  natural gas power.  which is a 'system of its own'.  

At the start of every game.  First thing I do is trap   hatch into the bathroom and let him sit there.   I don't have to deal with where to dump the polluted water.  making some pit.   or having to deal with polluted  oxygen either,   reduces slimelung problems.

The game boils down to choices, you can choose to take the suggestion. you know.

2 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

no it's not, the ratio is off and you need an extra source of polluted water to keep it running

use the bathroom(lav/toilet)  then. it generates polluted water in a pipe.  I choose to use the sink(washbin) to feed my hatch.  as the bottles are a freebie. conversion.

use the bathroom(lav/toilet)  then. it generates polluted water in a pipe.  I choose to use the sink(washbin) to feed my hatch.  as the bottles are a freebie. conversion.

I guess if you have an unlimited supply of water then that works.  Only reason I upgrade to the sink is that the washbasin only removes "some" of the germs

In the current game I have.  Using only 6 dupes.   I don't even have a natural gas generator or fertilizer machine.   The fertilizer actually just comes straight from the compost poop.     I don't generate any polluted water either.  (just the bottles feeding straight to hatch).   I am actually creating a huge surplus of slush berries  more than my guys can eat.    The sleet wheat I live off the "wild" plants.  

My strategy is to maintain all the wild plants because they don't consume anything extra from your guys.  The only real plant that requires resource is the blossom.   I use the light from the  PrintPod and shiny bugs so no power needed there.   For energy just the 1 hydro machine does the trick.  oxygen now is at a huge surplus. and all the power comes from just that one.

I'm stock piling so much coal but  not even using them. 

You can survive endlessly without having to touch the rest of the tech tree production buildings.  I've researched it all but  found you really don't need to much building anything else fancy.

In the current game I have.  Using only 6 dupes.   I don't even have a natural gas generator or fertilizer machine.   The fertilizer actually just comes straight from the compost poop.     I don't generate any polluted water either.     I am actually creating a huge surplus of slush berries  more than my guys can eat.    The sleet wheat I live off the "wild" plants.  

My strategy is to maintain all the wild plants because they don't consume anything extra from your guys.  The only real plant that requires resource is the blossom.   I use the light from the  PrintPod and shiny bugs so no power needed there.   For energy just the 1 hydro machine does the trick.  oxygen now is at a huge surplus. and all the power comes from just that one.

I'm stock piling so much coal but  not even using them. 

that sounds impressive, can you take some screen shots? 

17 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

that sounds impressive, can you take some screen shots? 

Sure.   I'm at cycle 638.  This setup can go on forever.   Got bored so just mapping out the rest of the stuff  and relocating polluted water pools to one big pit to the left.   there's actually nothing connected to them.   starting making a big room for natural gas geyser to fill up.  but not even using  that.  

Main base has everything it needs.

my power consumption right now is just the   massage table, one guy on  a wheel does enough stored power for that. 
the hydro/oxygen machine has its own power circuit  and doesn't even require a guy on wheel anymore. its self running.

The key is really having  Less Dupes.  thus  less mouth to feed and less oxygen to consume thus less power to consume for massage table as well.  granted most of them have divers lung. lol.

Untitled-3.png

Untitled-2.png

50 minutes ago, RonEmpire said:

Before getting all cheeky,   and jumping the gun.   think about what i'm contributing-  it was NOT mentioned in the thread about the polluted water from the sink.  so go back and read the thread again.

I wasn't getting all cheeky - if I was "getting all cheeky" i'd have pointed out that sometimes you dont absolutely have to state the bleeding obvious :D

P.s. don't forget to exhale.x

1 minute ago, Lifegrow said:

I wasn't getting all cheeky - if I was "getting all cheeky" i'd have pointed out that sometimes you dont absolutely have to state the bleeding obvious :D

P.s. don't forget to exhale.x

Sort of like this comment.
"Best way to post in a thread, is to read the entire thread, before posting something that's already been discussed :D "

6 hours ago, TehPlayer14 said:

I've tried to come up with a set a door on the floor so if the duplicant would try to deposit Clay they would drop and fall but guess what they are cheating standing in mid air on open doors despite they having no ground...

I've read in another thread about using  "morph/puffs" -> slimes -> hatches as a way to generate coal.
So that's automated without feeding them.

One possible idea is setting up some pressure plate to a certain amount and having some arm drop items to that plate when it's light.  just got to program also  and or gates for when the hatch is not on his own plate.  (accounting for its weight and movement to the plate that is suppose to contain the item weight).    feeding say seeds is a possibility as you can generate a lot of seeds.

Okay- So here's another 'creative wave to generate  coal  feeding your  Hatches' using bottled water or polluted water without power consumption.

Have a bottled water emptier  in a cold area.   Put the hatch in that area.
When you empty the liquid to that area it will become ice.  (make sure the area is cold enough) And the hatch will just eat up the ice (polluted or regular).

You could also funnel the polluted water pipe output to that cold area where it spits out ice.
So if your bathroom uses piping system that takes water in the pipe and need to move the polluted water out of the pipe, empty the water to the cold area where it immediate becomes ice.  and the hatch can eat it up. 

(in my game system, I don't have a use for polluted water- so its always a surplus).

5 hours ago, Nativel said:

It's all pointless setups, best way is fead them by fertilizer from fertilizer makers, and it's even pointless cose you'll have some much of energy from natural gas generators you can't spent it.

We have unlimited water source 2 gaysers give you so much water you can't spent it.

1 dupe, from showers (30kg use, normally 1 time per day) and lavatorys (12kg/cycle 1 use) and carbon scrabers (CO2 remuve 36kg cycle) will give you  near 80 kg of poluted water.

1 natural gas generator(ngg) set include: 1ngg 3 fert.makers carbon skimer(1 can support 3,5 ngg-sets) after all those calculations

1NGG set will give you +380W (it's w/o coal burning) of energy and it will consume 64 kg of pwater.

8 dupes can support 20 NGG sets with will give you near 6kW of energy that is just goes to no where, it's just burn out, it's it's not overburn it self cose carbon scimers consume 95 degree water and give gack 36 degree pwater same with NGG and you can even cooldown your aquatuners by this water before you'll burn it out in your fertilizers makers.

I agree with what you're saying.  I've noticed this as well.  I'm seeing everybody make so many elaborate setups and systems. and using so much power left and right.      And your other comment is spot on.  "Don't take many dupes".

I think that's really the key at the end of the day-   having less dupe solves most of the problems people are dealing with.  More dupes = more resource demand- and creates a ton of problems that require solutions that consumes more resources.   When the source of all the problems boils down to just  reducing the number of dupes to a bare minimum.

I'm only using 1 water geyser and so far it seems enough.   While I have access to a NGG, I'm not even using that.
Since water is unlimited  (only finite  if you have too many guys consuming them.)  but its unlimited if you limit the number of dupes in your base.
Water> polluted water->feed to hatch.    I don't even use the coal.  LOL.  but at least feeding them polluted water destroys.
But then again, you can just create ice out of the polluted water so it's not even important to feed hatch.
(heat isn't even a problem cuz worts solves all the heat problem)

Overall, a self sustained surviving base only needs 1 water geyser.  and a bare bone minimum number of dupes. 

51 minutes ago, RonEmpire said:

Okay- So here's another 'creative wave to generate  coal  feeding your  Hatches' using bottled water or polluted water without power consumption.

Have a bottled water emptier  in a cold area.   Put the hatch in that area.
When you empty the liquid to that area it will become ice.  (make sure the area is cold enough) And the hatch will just eat up the ice (polluted or regular).

You could also funnel the polluted water pipe output to that cold area where it spits out ice.
So if your bathroom uses piping system that takes water in the pipe and need to move the polluted water out of the pipe, empty the water to the cold area where it immediate becomes ice.  and the hatch can eat it up. 

(in my game system, I don't have a use for polluted water- so its always a surplus).

I agree with what you're saying.  I've noticed this as well.  I'm seeing everybody make so many elaborate setups and systems. and using so much power left and right.      And your other comment is spot on.  "Don't take many dupes".

I think that's really the key at the end of the day-   having less dupe solves most of the problems people are dealing with.  More dupes = more resource demand- and creates a ton of problems that require solutions that consumes more resources.   When the source of all the problems boils down to just  reducing the number of dupes to a bare minimum.

I'm only using 1 water geyser and so far it seems enough.   While I have access to a NGG, I'm not even using that.
Since water is unlimited  (only finite  if you have too many guys consuming them.)  but its unlimited if you limit the number of dupes in your base.
Water> polluted water->feed to hatch.    I don't even use the coal.  LOL.  but at least feeding them polluted water destroys.
But then again, you can just create ice out of the polluted water so it's not even important to feed hatch.
(heat isn't even a problem cuz worts solves all the heat problem)

Overall, a self sustained surviving base only needs 1 water geyser.  and a bare bone minimum number of dupes. 

But what's fun in that? It kinda feels like handicapping yourself playing in a RTS + playing any game is about THE PROGRESS not just sit and relax that's not gaming its watching the game (I'm looking at you YouTube)

If you have that mind set play on higher difficulty instead

47 minutes ago, TehPlayer14 said:

But what's fun in that? It kinda feels like handicapping yourself playing in a RTS + playing any game is about THE PROGRESS not just sit and relax that's not gaming its watching the game (I'm looking at you YouTube)

If you have that mind set play on higher difficulty instead

Well-  the game challenge still is managing/juggling  the minimum guys.  It's still quite a challenge in the early stage.  Believe me, its a huge challenge already with having 6 guys.   so really its how you look at it. 

If you want to take the RTS comparison, it's like expanding your base  but not having enough troops/resources to create troops to defend it.   So really -it's about strategy at the end of the day.   Do you want to 'progress too fast more than you can chew?  its same as taking too many dupes than you can feed.

Well-  the game challenge still is managing/juggling  the minimum guys.  It's still quite a challenge in the early stage.  Believe me, its a huge challenge already with having 6 guys.   so really its how you look at it. 

I agree to each his own

Archived