Anybody found a way to feed Hatches without manual dropping?

Only reliable non-dupe interaction ways i've used are fertilizer synth output (put hatches in your fertilizer rooms) but fertilizer is quite useful now, so meh.

We used to feed them ice, and solidified gasses - however you need to be very careful not to freeze/drown your hatches.

Other than that - i'm still waiting for a compactor that can auto-output with automation.

1 hour ago, Neotuck said:

I noticed containers set to rot piles will drop them once they turned into polluted dirt.  I did an automation once by allowing meal lice to rot then sweep them to containers located with hatches

Yeah, this is a basic concept I know a lot of people (myself included) use - slap down a compactor in your outhouses early game with a couple of hatches and they'll eat all your poop. Sadly though rot piles don't tend to have much mass - unless you've made a massive farm solely for making rot - which is incredibly inefficient.

Honestly, feeding them fertilizer seems to be a bit of a waste now too since food has become more important - and with smart batteries and better gas management - running a permanent fertilizer synth room is a bit wasteful, unless you're voiding waste polluted water...

It's a funny one - i've gone back to feeding my hatches waste minerals - but I've even had to rethink this a little since igneous rock has become more valuable :D 

2 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

Yeah, this is a basic concept I know a lot of people (myself included) use - slap down a compactor in your outhouses early game with a couple of hatches and they'll eat all your poop. Sadly though rot piles don't tend to have much mass - unless you've made a massive farm solely for making rot - which is incredibly inefficient.

Honestly, feeding them fertilizer seems to be a bit of a waste now too since food has become more important - and with smart batteries and better gas management - running a permanent fertilizer synth room is a bit wasteful, unless you're voiding waste polluted water...

It's a funny one - i've gone back to feeding my hatches waste minerals - but I've even had to rethink this a little since igneous rock has become more valuable :D 

What about meal lice? or would it be better to feed them the dirt and cut out the middle man?

guess the best thing to do is move away from coal generators late game

4 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

What about meal lice? or would it be better to feed them the dirt and cut out the middle man?

guess the best thing to do is move away from coal generators late game

Again, the mass conversion is awful. 

Honestly the key here I think is utilising many different forms of power, and then your coal will last waaaay longer.

In my current stream base i'm using nat gas primary, coal secondary and hydrogen as ultimate backup. I plan to expland to petroleum and steam when I get chance.

Using a little bit of all the different power sources allows you to be stockpiling your other fuels whilst one is being consumed - meaning you end up being sat on tons of hydrogen/coal for when you actually need it - whilst in the meantime your base just consumes natural gas, etc until it falls below a certain level.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.e60877c4e6a4bd32e83f04c677cb85e4.png

image.thumb.png.f72d5dc7d2d3c1334cea6e171947d37e.png

image.thumb.png.fc318192d472803324f3e2a9cf24d4ca.png

image.thumb.png.952c950e2d50382d4b773cf6feaefd69.png

image.thumb.png.b54d0f0309d03bc0db2b01dc59251cff.png

This is quite an expansive base - but as it stands currently I've not needed to make any fertilizer synths as i'm not power capped - in the meantime all my fuels are backing up and giving me a healthy stockpile to get other things prepared - like the transition to oil power.

I'm not one of the "boil oil and build 50 NGG's" style players, I like to use all the tools at my disposal and build a varied base wherever possible, and I think with the OU update, variety in everything is very important.

It's all pointless setups, best way is fead them by fertilizer from fertilizer makers, and it's even pointless cose you'll have some much of energy from natural gas generators you can't spent it.

We have unlimited water source 2 gaysers give you so much water you can't spent it.

1 dupe, from showers (30kg use, normally 1 time per day) and lavatorys (12kg/cycle 1 use) and carbon scrabers (CO2 remuve 36kg cycle) will give you  near 80 kg of poluted water.

1 natural gas generator(ngg) set include: 1ngg 3 fert.makers carbon skimer(1 can support 3,5 ngg-sets) after all those calculations

1NGG set will give you +380W (it's w/o coal burning) of energy and it will consume 64 kg of pwater.

8 dupes can support 20 NGG sets with will give you near 6kW of energy that is just goes to no where, it's just burn out, it's it's not overburn it self cose carbon scimers consume 95 degree water and give gack 36 degree pwater same with NGG and you can even cooldown your aquatuners by this water before you'll burn it out in your fertilizers makers.

9 minutes ago, Nativel said:

It's all pointless setups, best way is fead them by fertilizer from fertilizer makers, and it's even pointless cose you'll have some much of energy from natural gas generators you can't spent it.

We have unlimited water source 2 gaysers give you so much water you can't spent it.

1 dupe, from showers (30kg use, normally 1 time per day) and lavatorys (12kg/cycle 1 use) and carbon scrabers (CO2 remuve 36kg cycle) will give you  near 80 kg of poluted water.

1 natural gas generator(ngg) set include: 1ngg 3 fert.makers carbon skimer(1 can support 3,5 ngg-sets) after all those calculations

1NGG set will give you +380W (it's w/o coal burning) of energy and it will consume 64 kg of pwater.

8 dupes can support 20 NGG sets with will give you near 6kW of energy that is just goes to no where, it's just burn out, it's it's not overburn it self cose carbon scimers consume 95 degree water and give gack 36 degree pwater same with NGG and you can even cooldown your aquatuners by this water before you'll burn it out in your fertilizers makers.

Wait what....

1) Not everyone spams NGG's in their dozens :D 

2) Unlimited water, no. We have 2 steam geysers that output a very fixed amount - if you are consuming more than you can generate, that is very much finite.

3) You've given numerous examples of heat generating devices with no calculated power loss for dealing with that heat ;) 

4) "Best way" is a relative term. What you deem as "best" I deem as "lazy" for example. Too many ways to play this game to state "this is the best way". Some prefer to min max, others build for aesthetics. Some prefer the shortest route, others prefer a leisurely stroll....

I heard you can make auto sweeper drop whatever it's carrying if you interrupt its power supply. So if you periodically turn it on and off at correct rate while it's trying to transfer things between e.g. a receptacle and compactor, it will be dropping things on the floor instead.

15 minutes ago, Kasuha said:

I heard you can make auto sweeper drop whatever it's carrying if you interrupt its power supply. So if you periodically turn it on and off at correct rate while it's trying to transfer things between e.g. a receptacle and compactor, it will be dropping things on the floor instead.

This is interesting, I'm going to test it out and post my results

25 minutes ago, Kasuha said:

Genius - it works like a charm - uploading a vid now.

Great work @Kasuha, I have missed you ;) 

3 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

Genius - it works like a charm - uploading a vid now.

Great work @Kasuha, I have missed you ;) 

damn you beat me to it! :p20180217132358_1.thumb.jpg.32f3268d381cc54ab1ad8b85dd3f3fa5.jpg

3 minutes ago, Kasuha said:

Works for me too happy.gif 

b13DY0p.jpg

I find that the filter isn't necessary and I have the buffer set to 3 seconds.  This is a game changer thank you for discovering this!

12 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

I find that the filter isn't necessary and I have the buffer set to 3 seconds.

Filter is there to add some delay when it is inactive, allowing the receptacle to fill up and let the sweeper drop greater amounts.

Auto sweeper was best thing to add to the game tho no longer need of clicking and you can feed hatches with other stuff other than fertilizer or anything else that could be before occupational update Bless Klei

@Kasuha Well I don't sit on reddit 24/7 only YT and Klei forums (so we wouldn't know)

Archived