Why my pipes get cold damage?

3 hours ago, Gravityx said:

Damage occurs when a state change happens. Water freezes to ice at 0C

2 hours ago, Coolthulhu said:

If your machine overcools a liquid, it will break the first pipe tile it enters.

But how am I supposed to feed water to sleeze wheat without cooling? Four aquatuners with geyser water output -2 degrees C, three output 7 degrees C, two aquatuners output 20(sth) C. There's no middle ground for max. 5 C sleet wheat farm

You don't actually have to cool the water to below 5C. The body temperature is determined partly by to the surrounding gas, but mostly by the temperature of the hydro tile, which is linked to the water temperature. If you build the sleat weat farm in a cold biome however, then water at 10-15C should be fine. Since the surrounding cold will also cool the hydro tiles.

Partially overcooling water, but I'm 99% sure that the current patch is very bugged on tile temp for pipes at random co-ordinates.  I've seen them randomly break for no reason at all the first time they interact with a gas or liquid (and no matter what you do, they will keep breaking) but if you just bypass the tile with a bridge, nothing will happen to the next and it will be 100% fine.   So don't look too far into it, and just adjust the machine to a different tile and see if that works.  For what you specificly need, just cool the water as far as you can, and so long as you pump in cool gas as well you should be fine, as its based on the actual tempurature of the plant itself, not the water temp, its just that the water makes the biggest raw difference in temp changes.

You can also use a different setup to ensure you are always getting 1C water.  Freeze your water, and have a pump that will pull it the instant it melts.   Always will get 1C water that way for your farms.

1 hour ago, Tobruk said:

But how am I supposed to feed water to sleeze wheat without cooling?

What @amas said, or you can build a holding tank where you cool the water down to desired temperature, then pump it to sleets.

For example:

• Holding tank has a pump that leads to aquatuner, and a thermo sensor set to "above 16C"
  • Aquatuner leads to two liquid shutoffs
    • Shutoff 1 leads back to the tank and is active when thermo sensor in tank is active
    • Shutoff 2 leads to the sleets and is active when thermo sensor is inactive (NOT gate or just add a second sensor)

That way, if the water out of the aquatuner is above 2C (16C input -> 2C output), it goes back to tank. If it is below 2C, it goes to sleets and thus won't overcool the tank.

2 hours ago, Coolthulhu said:

What @amas said, or you can build a holding tank where you cool the water down to desired temperature, then pump it to sleets.

For example:

• Holding tank has a pump that leads to aquatuner, and a thermo sensor set to "above 16C"
  • Aquatuner leads to two liquid shutoffs
    • Shutoff 1 leads back to the tank and is active when thermo sensor in tank is active
    • Shutoff 2 leads to the sleets and is active when thermo sensor is inactive (NOT gate or just add a second sensor)

That way, if the water out of the aquatuner is above 2C (16C input -> 2C output), it goes back to tank. If it is below 2C, it goes to sleets and thus won't overcool the tank.

Great advice. Got it working. Think I'll do a third tank to hold cooled water, because if I won't do that, I'll have to periodically refill the clean water tank with geyser water.

2110716.jpeg

Archived