Mod: Big Freeze

40 minutes ago, Kabrute said:

As a coolant gas it is choice however for the sake of argument, do you make A) more than enough hydrogen for your coolant needs B) Find yourself with more hydrogen than you can use C) are constantly running out because reasons not related to power or weezedeletions? :: Ultimately I believe that I meant hydrogen was a material conversion dead end, with no transition values such as can be had from most other gas, they have uses in all sorts of equipment or mobs.

Ah, but you are wrong!  Feed frozen H2 to a hatch!  Then you get coal, which can be made in to CO2!

In all seriousness, yeah.  It is a dead end as far as conversions go.

@Hanro50, thanks for making this.  I like custom maps and map generation.  I'll give it a try when I have a bit of time. 

7 hours ago, Zarquan said:

Ah, but you are wrong!  Feed frozen H2 to a hatch!  Then you get coal, which can be made in to CO2!

In all seriousness, yeah.  It is a dead end as far as conversions go.

@Hanro50, thanks for making this.  I like custom maps and map generation.  I'll give it a try when I have a bit of time. 

Thank you for giving it a try 

As for hydrogen, from a worldgen view its not that much fun, like say chlorine, due to it extremely low condensation and freezing point. In reality if I wanted to, or if requested, I can add nearly any debug mode resource to the world and make it spawn naturally. I'm just weary of doing so as those debug mode resources aren't always really that useful.

There is a reason you can only find them in debug mode  

@Hanro50, I myself do some modding ( and did a worldgen mod a while back ). Found that the entirety of a world can be separated off into its own directory and everything... and I mean everything... with one exception: if you add features to biomes, you have to add an appropriate reference to them in the features.yaml file.

So kudos for avoiding this!

Having said that, Another thing I learned was when adding features and not properly or erroneously referencing them ... 'Void' - unbreathable, would be present in the biome where feature error reference occured. Since these reference misses are not logged at all, they're a pain to find. The important thing about this is that 'void' anywhere someone might be building, in my case, part of a biome, is very bad news... since I've been tinkering with this stuff myself. It may come in handy as an actual feature at some point...

Not that I'm seeing this type of error in your map... but all around it. The problem with 'Void', is that it deletes any gasses you try to put in it. So players can't pressurize areas where 'Void' is present, so if you want them to be able to build habitable things outside the primary shell of your world - you may want to alter your terrain biome lookup tables to get rid of it... it may be that this can't be done without changing the non-invasive nature of the mod - I haven't delved into the mod itself...

..and after some delving..

It kind of looks like you can actually ( you'll just need to copy the biome terrain data for the TheVoid biome into a file, change the biome data accordingly, and then point TheVoid to the right file table data ).  ...I think I'm getting carried away.

Add a Misc.yaml file to your biomes folder and an entry:

TerrainBiomeLookupTable:
  TheVoid:
    - content: Vacuum
      bandSize: 1

Then in TheVoid.yaml change:

- name: biomes/Misc/TheVoid

to

- name: BigFreeze/biomes/Misc/TheVoid

..void solved. That is, if this is something you're interested in.

I haven't tried to figure out whether Void is a co-dependent world generation state, but I know it's part of the backdrop. I'll be letting my newer world gen mod loose soon, it too, is non-invasive (with the exception of the features.yaml file ), modular, and debug friendly. By non-invasive, I mean that it doesn't have any effects on default world gen, ..at all.

2 hours ago, The Plum Gate said:

@Hanro50, I myself do some modding ( and did a worldgen mod a while back ). Found that the entirety of a world can be separated off into its own directory and everything... and I mean everything... with one exception: if you add features to biomes, you have to add an appropriate reference to them in the features.yaml file.

So kudos for avoiding this!

Having said that, Another thing I learned was when adding features and not properly or erroneously referencing them ... 'Void' - unbreathable, would be present in the biome where feature error reference occured. Since these reference misses are not logged at all, they're a pain to find. The important thing about this is that 'void' anywhere someone might be building, in my case, part of a biome, is very bad news... since I've been tinkering with this stuff myself. It may come in handy as an actual feature at some point...

Not that I'm seeing this type of error in your map... but all around it. The problem with 'Void', is that it deletes any gasses you try to put in it. So players can't pressurize areas where 'Void' is present, so if you want them to be able to build habitable things outside the primary shell of your world - you may want to alter your terrain biome lookup tables to get rid of it... it may be that this can't be done without changing the non-invasive nature of the mod - I haven't delved into the mod itself...

..and after some delving..

It kind of looks like you can actually ( you'll just need to copy the biome terrain data for the TheVoid biome into a file, change the biome data accordingly, and then point TheVoid to the right file table data ).  ...I think I'm getting carried away.

Add a Misc.yaml file to your biomes folder and an entry:

TerrainBiomeLookupTable:
  TheVoid:
    - content: Vacuum
      bandSize: 1

Then in TheVoid.yaml change:

- name: biomes/Misc/TheVoid

to

- name: BigFreeze/biomes/Misc/TheVoid

..void solved. That is, if this is something you're interested in.

I haven't tried to figure out whether Void is a co-dependent world generation state, but I know it's part of the backdrop. I'll be letting my newer world gen mod loose soon, it too, is non-invasive (with the exception of the features.yaml file ), modular, and debug friendly. By non-invasive, I mean that it doesn't have any effects on default world gen, ..at all.

Yea...this actually happened back in the first release of "Big chill" and has been silently patched. It proofed to be quite the headache yesterday as well when I was creating the magma zone subworld since that uses custom biome scripts and I made a mistake. 

I do want to point out that "TheVoid.yaml" found in the subworlds folder is an unused subworld (in the vanilla game). I would also prefer not to alter any vanilla scripting since it may cause compatibility issues in the future. If you look in the bigfreeze folder you'll see a copy of "TheVoid.yaml" since I'm making use of it to form the open area past the surface and I've added custom poi to it.

personally I prefer the poi system to the feature system. If I where to make an educated guess on how this game handles references within the wortldgen folder, I would say you could make a custom folder say "Bigfreezefeatures" and then a copy of the features script renamed to "Bigfreezefeatures.yaml".  Then say I wanted to make a custom version of   "features/sedimentary/StartLocation:" then I would change the heading to  "Bigfreezefeatures/<where I put it within that folder>" within the Bigfreezefeatures.yaml script and make a copy of it and save it to somewhere within the Bigfreezefeatures folder I created Tested it, doesn't work

Thanks for the heads up thought, I always appreciate feedback and advise 

Actually features are hard reference to the features folder and file, they can't be moved outside the features folder. They can be put in a sub folder however, so they can exist apart in thay way ( which is how I handled mine ).

-

Oh, I had downloaded 1.2, it's definitely referencing TheVoid terraindata from standard biome data files.  

Hmm, I meant by creating your own misc file and refernecing that in your void biome, you wouldn't be modding vanilla files. Just redirecting your subworld to that biome definition. 

3 hours ago, The Plum Gate said:

Actually features are hard reference to the features folder and file, they can't be moved outside the features folder. They can be put in a sub folder however, so they can exist apart in thay way ( which is how I handled mine ).

-

Oh, I had downloaded 1.2, it's definitely referencing TheVoid terraindata from standard biome data files.  

Hmm, I meant by creating your own misc file and refernecing that in your void biome, you wouldn't be modding vanilla files. Just redirecting your subworld to that biome definition. 

speaking of which I would love to define a custom path for "defaults.yaml"

15 hours ago, geniusthemaster said:

thanks again! maybe you could make a river world or a super rich asteroid with lots of purified metals?

The asteroid with lots of purified metals is plausible, I mean purified copper does spawns in the naturem subworld for example (its technically a bug, but I decided to keep it). My only objection would be that it could make the game a bit to easy

I do want to make rivers spawn, but I feel I'll release that as an add-on rather then adding it to the main mod due to it requiring a modification to the feature.yalm folder.

If I had say a week then I could always try to write an installer application

v 1.2.5 crashes on linux.  Fix: capitalize "naturem" in BigFreeze.yaml to match the Naturem biome path.  Linux tends to be more exact when it come to path matching.

[ETA] While I'm posting, a question/request: is the void capable of cooling?  I'd love to be able to build giant space radiators to dump my heat instead of relying on glitches or magical space cacti.

5 hours ago, Lurve said:

v 1.2.5 crashes on linux.  Fix: capitalize "naturem" in BigFreeze.yaml to match the Naturem biome path.  Linux tends to be more exact when it come to path matching.

[ETA] While I'm posting, a question/request: is the void capable of cooling?  I'd love to be able to build giant space radiators to dump my heat instead of relying on glitches or magical space cacti.

I'll fix that in the next update, forgot Linux is case sensitive. 

I'm not too sure if the void can cool objects, I know it deletes gasses. I think it acts as nutrium in the sense that it doesn't seem to have any thermal properties. 

On 2/26/2018 at 2:21 AM, geniusthemaster said:

i just did a big run on insane mode but i cant do anything because the secondary escape pod shuttle contains a duplicant printing pod, and THAT blocks creating any dupes in the default pod

Odd...are you running debug mode?
Ok I'll take note and remove it in the next patch, didn't come up when I did the play testing of the map mod since I tend to do that without debug mode which doesn't cause the other printing pod to load  

Might do a 1.2.6 for the Linux bug and the escape pod bug if I get the time or I might move on to 1.3, unfortunately I'm a bit stretched for time atm

1.3 is coming along, I've revisited the subworlds and I've been adding some extra ones. I've also figured out a way to get the worldgen to behave a bit better, thought I'll release this as an optional ad-don as it breaks compatibility with the small preset to a degree.

Basically I'm splitting some properties current subworlds have between 2 or more additional subworlds. E.g. FrozenOil has been split into FrozenOil and FrozenChlorine since the oil was competing with the chlorine and it was just that one or two degrees too hot for chlorine to remain a liquid.

Also fixed the Escape pod issue and this should be working on Linux, provided I didn't mess up capitalization...again

image.thumb.png.e6a47431c808a7a34c7c860449dd7707.png 
Screenshot a plenty 

Also the test results are in...Void can't be used to cool stuff...
Still can delete gasses if you're interested 

On ‎2018‎/‎03‎/‎03 at 9:04 PM, geniusthemaster said:

thank you Hanro :)

btw i cant make plastic because by cycle 700 all the oil gets immediately converted into gas. the super hot zone leaks into the hot zone, maybe a separator could be added?

Currently that is kinda by design, but saying that I do want to mention that oil geysers still spawn in the frozen oil subworld aswell.
The magma and oil zones have been split so that each is in its own subworld. Meaning even though they spawn in the same area, they're not garrented to spawn next to each other 

(srry on a public computer and edge doesn't have spelling checks)

I will review it in the next update 

On 3/2/2018 at 1:42 PM, Hanro50 said:

Also fixed the Escape pod issue and this should be working on Linux, provided I didn't mess up capitalization...again

It does, thanks.

Still can delete gasses if you're interested 

I very much am.  More than anything in the mod, I don't see why this isn't in the base game.  The first major task/exploration I do is is digging a trench to the surface to vent waste gasses.  It'd be much better if there were some way to usefully reprocess them, but ONI really likes its open-loop processes so it's either vent them or delete them some other way.

How much freedom does the game afford you to play around with biomes?  Are you limited to modifications of the existing ones, or can you try oddball ideas like a biome that's mostly oxylite, or a super-hot "gemstone" biome of diamond, gold and copper?  This seems like a good venue to experiment with wacky ideas that might make for fun gameplay, whereas the main devs are more restricted to "balanced" (i.e. existing) material.

3 hours ago, Lurve said:

It does, thanks.

I very much am.  More than anything in the mod, I don't see why this isn't in the base game.  The first major task/exploration I do is is digging a trench to the surface to vent waste gasses.  It'd be much better if there were some way to usefully reprocess them, but ONI really likes its open-loop processes so it's either vent them or delete them some other way.

How much freedom does the game afford you to play around with biomes?  Are you limited to modifications of the existing ones, or can you try oddball ideas like a biome that's mostly oxylite, or a super-hot "gemstone" biome of diamond, gold and copper?  This seems like a good venue to experiment with wacky ideas that might make for fun gameplay, whereas the main devs are more restricted to "balanced" (i.e. existing) material.

In terms of boims and terrain gen: the sky is the limit.

I can make nearly any element, that you can use the paint function in debug mode to make, spawn naturally. This includes oxylite, daimond and whatever debug element you want. 

The terrain is generated following a "noise" file/map. I've however kinda avoided it due to the complexity of the file. If you're interested you can find the noise files the game uses within the "noise" folder within the worldgen folder. 

The subworld temperature is easy to setup/change. You can even set custom temperature ranges within the temperature.yalm file within your worldgen folder.

The only real limits are due to feature.yalm and defaults.yalm (within worldgen folder)since these files are hardcoded and can't be redirected via custom scripts like most other scripts in the worldgen folder.

Edit: I, for the most part, just use the default scripts as a base as it eases the debugging process since you can get worldgen that works alot quicker then writing everything by hand. 

Just a note, I'm going to hold off on working on version 1.4 till about a week

I have some irl stuff coming up and, since the devs seem to be adding worldgen, I want the preview to mature a bit more before I recompile my scripts to include everything they're adding

1.3 is not designed for the preview and might not be stable nor will it include any worldgen added to the preview in the form of features and poi.

My script mods still rely on some default scripts which might cause them to break if those scripts are removed

Will you update the Map for the Ranching II update? 

Or is the map already compatible?

Also one thing i found is that some biomes have "cracked" abyssalit patches due to ruins or directly to the start biome.

This causes massive heat/cold exchange and fried most of my slime and ice biomes in my current playthrough.

Last question: How many AETN should be on the Map? So far i only found one and thats quite not enough for such an huge (and awesome) map :D 

EDIT: Last Point: Slicksters seem to not spawn or they die quickly. I didn't fund any so i had to spawn two in through the DEBUG Option.

Archived