Mod: Big Freeze

<Still no idea where to put this>

Well this was planned to be an Update to "Big Chill", but it kinda evolved into its own thing. 

<So what is Big Freeze all about?>

image.thumb.png.85fd5779c93bd094c09a29ee35d712b7.png

I modeled the world-gen script off of the "Helicona" preset rather then using the "default" one this time round. I focused more on customizing the different subworlds this time round as well and yes I remembered to change the "Name:" property so that it'll work correctly in debug mode.

<New subworlds>

-Naturem subworld

image.thumb.png.a966bc4d47f0daef36a136a7d411e13b.png

This subworld generates next to the starter world and will give you access to a natural gas geyser and a steam geyser. Unlike its previous iteration found within "Big Chill" it should no longer completely rap around the starter area. I've also given it its own custom biome. Basically think of it as a extra bit of starter area. I also found that in testing you have a small chance that this subworld will not spawn at all. You also have a chance of having this rap around your starter area completely like it did in "big chill".(and everything in between) 

-Hot Jungle 
image.thumb.png.22a38c1b6b4093ca5270fd8d5afd059d.png

This putrid mixture of Slime-lung and chlorine is know as the Hot Jungle. Strangely the live in this subworld has managed to drastically increase its temperature compared to the rest of the asteroid, but your dupes may prefer to not venture in too deep. This will provide you with another Steam geyser and Natural Gas Geyser. You will also be able to find a Chlorine Geyser(I set this to a 100% chance)

-Frozen Oil fields

image.thumb.png.19729266c9d5700a3e7bff2be0991790.png

Like the Hot Jungle, some dupes actively believe this region of the asteroid once also had a ton of live, but unlike the Hot Jungle the live here evolved to suck heat out of there environment. Although you can still find a few stray Wheezewords, sleet wheat outcrops and slicksters, most live that lived in this aria is long gone by this point. 

- The surface and void

image.thumb.png.8f29a8674e9b8446216b32267281b20a.png

Few dupes would willingly venture out here without some protection. Impacts with other objects have left "Hot spots" on the surface as well. Similarly the empty, cold eternal nothingness that is the void would freeze them solid within seconds. Few gases or liquids don't turn solid here as the void itself is near a frosty 0 degrees Kalvin(in other words, near absolute zero).  

<Other changes>

Increased the map size to 512 by 512

<Installation guide>

>Go to steam
>Right click Oxygen not included
>Select Properties 
>Select the "Local files tab"
>Select browse local files
>open "OxygenNotIncluded_Data"
>Make a backup the file "StreamingAssets"
>Copy the contents of this zip into your "OxygenNotIncluded_Data" file

>If you're using debug mode then don't select "Replace" if prompted
>Else hit "Replace"

>If you're installing a patch then I recommend you hit replace since those typically modify main scripts 

If you plan to use this with debug mode then activate this worldgen script with the "world(DEBUG):" option under the "Custom game" tab when you select "Start new game" from the main menu.(Set it to Big Freeze) If you're unsure then rather hit "replace" when prompted. 

<Older versions>

Spoiler

<Version 1.1>

image.thumb.png.a1638c19d41b3b434bb9ae2b3c1b0527.png

Well, this is awkward. Some error logs from your printing pod's terminal show that some unidentified escape pods have been detected orbiting the asteroid your dupes have decided to call home. No live signatures are being detected however, but one of the pods is spitting out a ton of interference.  

image.thumb.png.854f43e646fb7a38740f76e0c10946d9.png

Some seismic activity has also been detected on the surface.

<Version 1.2>

A panel on your printing pod has started lighting up like a Christmas tree, shortly after the rock your colony has decided to call home starts to shake, the asteroid has just survived a high speed collusion with a big and heavy object...your dupes start to scan for damages...

image.thumb.png.56547e4c040d5a81757bb2aa0b533e6c.png

The impact has cause some areas near the surface to drastically heat up. Your dupes have settled on the name Magma Zone for this subworld. a bunch of slicksters seem to have migrated to it as well.

image.thumb.png.9f7dcbda5a1d121e855afe5dd2ffc631.png

Whatever the thing was that collided with the asteroid. It seemed to have dramatically increase the amount of chlorine in the asteroid, levels are up with 300% more or less...according to one of your yokel dupes 

image.thumb.png.7cfe3a087539c521966700b8c2d95930.png

The earthquake felt earlier has caused the hot jungle subworld to restructure itself...

-other patch notes

Added "Insane" (1024x1024) and "small" (386x386) options for debug users

(My scripts are pushed to there limits when using the insane version)

<Version 1.2.5>

Earthquakes rip through the asteroid. the collusion a few cycles back hasn't finished having its affects on the asteroid.

image.thumb.png.e210b008f7c9698eaec6d05db13d4495.png

Cracks in the surface have formed.

-other patch notes

Updated worldgen for naturem subworld 

-creators notes

These features were meant to ship with the update from yesterday, but they either proofed to be causing me headaches or I just forgot about them. I managed to straiten out the bugs today thought. Sorry for the inconvenience 

<Version 1.3>

Apparently someone had spilled Soda onto the world scanner...We don't know who has, but we do know that the soda had caused some new places to pop up on the world scanner, among making it exceedingly sticky to use 
image.thumb.png.39ee37a76c2614689110fcebd3ae68f6.png

Some more detailed thermal scans has revealed that the Hot Jungle subworld has split into two, some dupes think that the impact from a few months back has shifted the life around in this subworld and have begun to refer to it as both the hot Marsh and the Jungle subworld separately.
image.thumb.png.63d08b2b8e6a1cbe0c3904dffdffaa5b.png

The Magma Zone has also had some shifting data. The dupes had corrected an error where the world scanner missed another similar subworld known as the OilZone 

image.thumb.png.4414af67cc8e61d3cb79802739208f4c.png

Some dupes have noted that the areas that contain Chlorine are a lot cooler then the scanner initially detected

-New optional patch: Worldgen_fixV1.0

>Old/Default worldgen

image.thumb.png.d39a2dc728d92623205cc151d3964db3.png

>Patched worldgen
image.thumb.png.37dee993175a6bb347f1f9add0cc28a9.png

>(Warning:Still broken with Insane and Small presets)

-Bug fixes

>Address capitalization, should hopefully not crash in Linux

>Updated Poi_Void_Ship_A to resolve printing pod quirks  

<Version 1.4 : Rancher Upgrade Mrk1 update>
All your dupes fall to there feet as the asteroid begins to shake violently. One of your dupes drags themselves over to your printing-pod's terminal. The asteroid, being knocked of course a few months back, has crashed into a caper-belt like cloud of, what your dupes refer to as, space junk. 
image.thumb.png.6c95b647b52c33a168d25a546c631080.png
Some dupes reports that some of the geysers look different now 
image.thumb.png.3f99df353492ee7e0b9b3928117ad3c4.png
And some volcanoes seem to be popping up 

-other notes

I tried to maintain some randomness, so you may notice that some geysers are different on each new play thru. Also the optional patch still works, it gets updated independently 

-dev log

This update is mainly here to address the new worldgen added with the Rancher upgrade mrk1. Sadly due to some annoying bugs with the menu system within the preview I found it exceedingly difficult to perform the update this time round. A followup update (probably 1.4.1) will address any bugs within this update after the rancher upgrade goes live so play with caution. Do note if no bugs are brought to my attention then this will be the final version until a new update adds more worldgen or I think of new things to add.

Sorry if I sound down I'm recovering from a bit of a sickness and my nerves are fried after dealing with the aforementioned menu bug. 

<Files: Mod>
<Legacy versions>

big freeze V1.4.zip

<Files: Patches>

Worldgen_fixV1.0.zip

<Closing notes>

Remember use at own risk, this will significantly increase the time it takes to generate worlds and black hole repellent is sold separately. 
You may also make use of the scripts I wrote for your own thing if you wanted to. Also don't be afraid to suggest changes I should add below.

I tested this with the latest

Version 1.0-1.1

Occupational Upgrade preview build. 

Version 1.2-1.3

I tested with the latest Occasional Upgrade release build

Version 1.4

I tested with the latest Rancher Upgrade mark 1 preview build

11 hours ago, Tenshi Kirai said:

On one of your maps, you could make a biome with a hydrogen. Like what you did with natural gas, may be a geyser of hydrogen?

Well it is possible to put as many geysers into a map as possible, you can't specify what element it spits out beyond the default "chlorine, nat. gas and steam" variants without modifying the underlying code of the game, which isn't exactly possible jet. 

10 hours ago, Kabrute said:

hydrogen is pure power production with no other benefit to the world, atleast with natural gas the byproduct of energy is polluted water, a multipurpose resource

Well said.

6 hours ago, Seeker89 said:

how about a frozen hydrogen biome with a Anti Entropy Thermo-Nullifier within it?

Well this is certainly possible and I have done something kinda similar with the natural gas geyser found on the surface. Making a custom biome script with resources that don't spawn naturally within the game can be a hassle as you need the resource's real name. For example, coal is referred to as carbon within the games files. Its not always easy to track down said "real name"

I could probably make a poi that spawns a bunch of frozen hydrogen, but it might turn to gas by the time you get to it if I spawn it anywhere else but the void due to hydrogen's extremely low boiling point. 

18 hours ago, Steelflame said:

Did you change the Slickster's possible living conditions?  IIRC they die below 30C, so your ice biome slicksters will die off before we could ever see them normally.

Strange, in testing that didn't really come up 
image.thumb.png.1a5a4e4f08fc68dc4a5eed99b7b3152b.png

Tested in latest Occupational upgrade preview patch 

10 hours ago, 8loop8 said:

@Hanro50 Does this work with the latest update? Since the update dropped i dont have the option of custom maps under 'custom worlds'

I'm having a play thru on my own, the new update does reset the game's files so you'll need to reinstall it, any worlds created before the update should still work

This mod should remain compatible till klei either change the way world gen scripts work or add new world gen...

Edit: may I ask, did the update deactivate debug mode for you by chance? 

If so either select replace when you're copying the files or go through the steps to reactivate it

10 minutes ago, 8loop8 said:

It did not activate the debug mode, but i lost the ability to choose custom worlds like helicona and such, i have a screenshot below.

Do you know some other case where this happened or why this might be? Thanks

Untitled.png

If you've not got debug mode active the menu option won't show. Just follow the installation instructions I've listed and hit "replace"

You can also activate it by dropping a text file named "debug_enable.txt" into your "OxygenNotIncluded_Data" folder. I do want to stress that this mod doesn't activate it for you automatically. Also if you hit "replace" it replaces the "default" preset, meaning the game will automatically run the mod's scripts instead of the vanilla ones 

Amazing work. I just got here, late to the party, but man I've been reading some of these for a few hours now and I'm getting tingly all inside. Is it possible to add debug stuff to it as well, like metals, gasses and monsters not yet released?

Ish, yes I could give you a poi and a worldgen file that included debug accessible items but it would still be up to the game to include them.  Shoot me a message with exactly what you have in mind and I will put something together for you.

2 hours ago, Anzariel said:

Amazing work. I just got here, late to the party, but man I've been reading some of these for a few hours now and I'm getting tingly all inside. Is it possible to add debug stuff to it as well, like metals, gasses and monsters not yet released?

Yes

Speaking of which I'm planning an update for this for the 18th of February 2018 and was wondering if anyone had some suggestions 

>So far I'm thinking of moving the slicksters to the Hot Jungle subworld as some more testing did reveal that they did have trouble surviving in a cold area (Thank you @Steelflame)

>I'm also thinking of adding some chlorine to the Frozen Oil Field subworld as its kinda semi rare in its current form...and all it took was one dupe having an "accident" near my water tank... 

>I'm also planning on adding 2 more presets for debug users, one called "pure insanity" which will basically be the current map scaled up to something like 1024x1024 (or larger) and another called "small" which will basically be more inline with the "Helicona" preset this mod is based on 

>I'm looking for feedback as currently one full test run of an ONI game takes me nearly 2 days to complete and I have to restart if I decide to change anything worldgen wise  

edit: I'm also taking submissions for custom poi's if anyone is interested

23 hours ago, Hanro50 said:

If you've not got debug mode active the menu option won't show. Just follow the installation instructions I've listed and hit "replace"

You can also activate it by dropping a text file named "debug_enable.txt" into your "OxygenNotIncluded_Data" folder. I do want to stress that this mod doesn't activate it for you automatically. Also if you hit "replace" it replaces the "default" preset, meaning the game will automatically run the mod's scripts instead of the vanilla ones 

ooh, i've missed the point completely when i read instructions, i set Bigg Freeze as default, love it, i think the whole idea of it actually being an asteroid in vacuum is amazing.

As for suggestions, just spitballing here:

1. A POI in form of a small comet with rare metals that spawns outisde of the asteroid (diamond, tungsten, idk), although by the timea player got there those valuables would be of no use. Maybe making the initial would solve this issue

2. Same comet idea with the rare metals, but embedded in the surface of the comet

3. Add a small core biome with magma/ oil in the middle with the sandstone biome around it? I feel like magma and oil biome are interesting, but too big in the original and would love to see them included again

Amazig work, love playing the mod :)

22 minutes ago, 8loop8 said:

ooh, i've missed the point completely when i read instructions, i set Bigg Freeze as default, love it, i think the whole idea of it actually being an asteroid in vacuum is amazing.

As for suggestions, just spitballing here:

1. A POI in form of a small comet with rare metals that spawns outisde of the asteroid (diamond, tungsten, idk), although by the timea player got there those valuables would be of no use. Maybe making the initial would solve this issue

2. Same comet idea with the rare metals, but embedded in the surface of the comet

3. Add a small core biome with magma/ oil in the middle with the sandstone biome around it? I feel like magma and oil biome are interesting, but too big in the original and would love to see them included again

Amazig work, love playing the mod :)

1. I will probably add some asteroids to the void area, I'll probably see if I can make them out of something like refined metals 

2. I'll see if I can do something similar, but just make it in the form of a biome for the surface

3. If I could I would be looking into that, but currently the starter world is always at the center and I've not found a way to change that

I think that there was one other thread a couple months ago where there was also talk of modding the biome placing, and i saw some screenshots of magma biome in the middle with the sandstone surrounding it, but i can't find it for the life of me. 

I'm not really for making the asteroid realistic (magma in the middle, then jungle, then hot swamp, ... , then ice on the surface), i just think the game would benefit if there was a small magma biome. What do you think, is there some other logical place to put the magma?

9 hours ago, 8loop8 said:

I think that there was one other thread a couple months ago where there was also talk of modding the biome placing, and i saw some screenshots of magma biome in the middle with the sandstone surrounding it, but i can't find it for the life of me. 

I'm not really for making the asteroid realistic (magma in the middle, then jungle, then hot swamp, ... , then ice on the surface), i just think the game would benefit if there was a small magma biome. What do you think, is there some other logical place to put the magma?

Currently some lava does spawn in the surface subworld, but due to the surface's cold temperature it normally freezes solid by the time the player gets to it...this is how I got those "Hot spots" to form.

In reality this asteroid is orbiting a good distance from its home star, thus its extremely cold in most places

On 2/6/2018 at 5:17 PM, Kabrute said:

hydrogen is pure power production with no other benefit to the world, atleast with natural gas the byproduct of energy is polluted water, a multipurpose resource

I assume you mean as far as power is concerned.  Because I use hydrogen all over the place for its thermal properties.

As a coolant gas it is choice however for the sake of argument, do you make A) more than enough hydrogen for your coolant needs B) Find yourself with more hydrogen than you can use C) are constantly running out because reasons not related to power or weezedeletions? :: Ultimately I believe that I meant hydrogen was a material conversion dead end, with no transition values such as can be had from most other gas, they have uses in all sorts of equipment or mobs.

Archived