[Game Update] - 253063

51 minutes ago, boohboomagoo said:

I have heard discussion that disease has been made stronger...  Can you guys look at this?  I keep making small colonies and the only way to fight disease with a starting colony is with a med bed;  and it takes about 3 full cycles of your dupe dancing around like a moron sneezing and barfing all over the place for them to get back up to 30% health - and this is with game settings Immunity:STRONG -  That's nuts.   Consider updating how the med-bed works and make it slightly more effective.  Because when I have a base with 6 dupes. 3 are sick-making the other 3 sick- everyone is barfing everywhere and there's nothing to do but let everyone die... and start over....   is an awful way to kill the game 45min into starting a base.   I don't mind having to be more cognizant of disease-  But treating it and containing it needs to be made slightly more effective;  because the larger a base gets, the more complicated this spirals into, and there's very little in the game to get your dupes back on track and not puking and pooping everywhere.  (eh... total mess)

Are you using wash basins?  Are you going in to slime biomes?  I've been playing the patch on regular and I haven't experienced this issue myself.

They did buff disease a little by removing the immunity trait and not making any jobs that prioritize caregiving, but neither of those should really have any major impact unless you play with miserable immune systems.

Edited by Zarquan

I've tried a few times and was more successful - although I still am of the opinion that the med-beds should be more effective or they should create a job profession based on med-care.  Because if you stupidly get everyone infected with slime lung-  everything and everyone dies.  Because food isn't produced, nothing is moved - everyone is sneezing everywhere and it just snowballs.  I tried recovering from it happening in a base... and it was really disappointing. Plus when you have 30 dupes what are you supposed to do?  Micro-manage who's sleeping in a med bed to get 3% health recovered per cycle if they have weak immune systems?

Not to be whiny - but I was playing with "STRONG" immunity settings and the med-beds were only helping recover a few percentage points. There should be a Medic and Emergency EMT profession that focuses on healing and can make med-beds more effective-

I just think the challenge created by disease should not end in a total base failure if immunity settings are "strong" - I get it if you want to play like that. But the creation of polluted oxygen seems to happen more quickly now - I have water sieves that fill parts of my base with polluted oxygen... which just blows my mind.  And I see this bubbling into a major problem late game when you're brain is more focused on creating power/oxygen/food systems-  Health management should still happen, but having a profession that can help course correct disasters should be considered.  Because- as we all know.  This game is all about disasters. 

On 2.2.2018 at 5:02 PM, boohboomagoo said:

I've tried a few times and was more successful - although I still am of the opinion that the med-beds should be more effective or they should create a job profession based on med-care

Keeping them healthy is not difficult if you plan for it in advance. Wash hands after bio-break, before cooking, eating or harvesting. They won't waste water if they already have clean hands. (Later in the game one probably needs more polluted water anyway.)

Scrub algae and slime before use, use exosuits when going outside, lower desinfect threshold to 4000 or even lower later in the game.

Carefully protect water from possible contamination. Emptying bottles carelessly into your clean water container is very dangerous. Boil contaminated water to desinfect it.

Double check not to use contaminated slime or algae.

Design doors / airlocks to outside to minimize import of contaminants.

It is a good habit to check health and infection status at the end of each or every few cycles when they go to sleep.

Have a reserve vitamin pills. I keep a full box of them and I was lucky not to need any since like 2k cycles..

I like the hygiene / disease aspect quite a lot. BTW, it's good to check every now and then and send any wounded mates to med beds,