Massive fps Drops

Hiya guys, Recently I moved computers from my ol' bad one, And upgrade to a beast, but.. I'm getting fps drops from 60, down to 34, until i either, restart the game. (it still will happen after a certain threshold) or I go into the options menu and wait a bit.

I'm running windows 10,With an i770k Processor clocked at 4.20 Ghz.

I have a nvidia gtx 1060, and 32 gigs of ram, The fps drops with and without mods, 

Looking for a solution, i've followed many things online and not one thing has worked,

I've tried going into control panel for nvidia and turning on triple buffering etc, similar stuff, I'd rather not have to move to my old computer just to play don't starve.

Your specs are more than enough for DST to run at a constant 60 Fps. (Assuming with i770k you mean an i7 4770k)

Have you tried playing on different maps? Maybe if you are just testing on one map it's causing issues either with too many items/assets on the ground, or just some sort of error behind the scenes. If so you can try on another map if you have the same issues.

Another thing you can try (I assume this is still a thing) to add the following line in your DST startup options (right click DST in Steam > set start options)

-threaded_render

This makes the game use a second CPU core to run the rendering of the game, instead of running it on the main thread.

Edit: Another Reason for your new PC to be laggy might be that it's running DST on your Intel GPU (On the processor itself). Try connecting your Monitor to the dedicated GPU, if it's connected to your on board stuff atm, or try disabling your Intel GPU through your Bios.

47 minutes ago, Daniel86268 said:

Your specs are more than enough for DST to run at a constant 60 Fps. (Assuming with i770k you mean an i7 4770k)

Have you tried playing on different maps? Maybe if you are just testing on one map it's causing issues either with too many items/assets on the ground, or just some sort of error behind the scenes. If so you can try on another map if you have the same issues.

Another thing you can try (I assume this is still a thing) to add the following line in your DST startup options (right click DST in Steam > set start options)

-threaded_render

This makes the game use a second CPU core to run the rendering of the game, instead of running it on the main thread.

Edit: Another Reason for your new PC to be laggy might be that it's running DST on your Intel GPU (On the processor itself). Try connecting your Monitor to the dedicated GPU, if it's connected to your on board stuff atm, or try disabling your Intel GPU through your Bios.

It's a laptop, not sure how to go about dong that, tried your code there, and.. made it up to.. 53 fps, but its still a bit choppy, and yes i've tried multiple worlds, public servers, different layouts, Still same thing persists.

Just now, Lokoluna said:

It's a laptop, not sure how to go about dong that, tried your code there, and.. made it up to.. 53 fps, but its still a bit choppy, and yes i've tried multiple worlds, public servers, different layouts, Still same thing persists.

Sounds like Nvidia is doing it's "Nvidia Optimus" thing again, and not doing a very good job (once again), since DST doesn't have a high GPU usage and therefore just uses your Intel GPU.

Try following this guide for DST to force your system to use your powerful Nvidia GPU instead of your Intel GPU https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to-force-your-laptop-to-Run-with-Graphics-Processor-vs-the-default-Integrated-Graphics-for-InfraWorks.html

23 minutes ago, Daniel86268 said:

Sounds like Nvidia is doing it's "Nvidia Optimus" thing again, and not doing a very good job (once again), since DST doesn't have a high GPU usage and therefore just uses your Intel GPU.

Try following this guide for DST to force your system to use your powerful Nvidia GPU instead of your Intel GPU https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to-force-your-laptop-to-Run-with-Graphics-Processor-vs-the-default-Integrated-Graphics-for-InfraWorks.html

Unfortunately My control panel doesn't have a, choose what graphics driver is preferred, it's just not there.

x.jpg

3 minutes ago, Lokoluna said:

Unfortunately My control panel doesn't have a, choose what graphics driver is preferred, it's just not there.

x.jpg

As I don't have a Laptop with Nvidia Optimus myself, I can't confirm this, but have you checked if there's a setting in your Bios for that?

(Taken from the website I posted earlier:)

Please Note: Some laptops have a BIOS switch, some do not. For more information about disabling this option in the BIOS, follow this link: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Hardware/Disabling-nVidia-Optimus-amp-Perform-Clean-Install/td-p/4363279

3 minutes ago, Daniel86268 said:

As I don't have a Laptop with Nvidia Optimus myself, I can't confirm this, but have you checked if there's a setting in your Bios for that?

(Taken from the website I posted earlier:)

I have, there's no option.

Well i took every setting and went back to my old pc, stills like a charm, Wouldn't mind the fps drops if it wasn't so noticeable and.. didn't make kiting.. absurd. 

Edit: Also.. i don't have a secondary Graphics card if that matters, (integrated and others etc.)

Check and tell us if the problem persists if you run the game in windowed mode in contrast to fullscreen.

On 1/26/2018 at 9:22 PM, Daniel86268 said:

-threaded_render

Nice, where did you find this piece of info? :o I have looked for different startup parameters and tweaks for the game but this is the first time I read about this. Cheers!

1 minute ago, Captain_Rage said:

Check and tell us if the problem persists if you run the game in windowed mode in contrast to fullscreen.

Nice, where did you find this piece of info? :o I have looked for different startup parameters and tweaks for the game but this is the first time I read about this. Cheers!

I have, stil lsame issue.

Maybe try to turn off all the options* in the driver settings (in the screenshot you posted) globally, reboot the computer and try to start the game.

*: With 'all options' I mean stuff like anti-aliasing and other post-processing things that aren't strictly necessary and might cause wonky issues.

2 hours ago, Captain_Rage said:

Maybe try to turn off all the options* in the driver settings (in the screenshot you posted) globally, reboot the computer and try to start the game.

*: With 'all options' I mean stuff like anti-aliasing and other post-processing things that aren't strictly necessary and might cause wonky issues.

global settings is for all games, Don't starve is the only issue.

On 2/10/2018 at 1:08 AM, Captain_Rage said:

Yes, exactly, there might be some global setting turned on that is affecting Don't Starve but not the other games. Turning off all post-processing settings can help narrow down the problem. This is called troubleshooting.

Went ahead and did what you said, however.. the Issue persists.

Strange. I wonder what it could be... For the sake of trying different things: set the CPU affinity in the Task Manager for DST to one core (not sure how to access this option in Windows 10); upgrade the BIOS (and/or revert the overclocking); boot into safe mode and try to start Steam and DST (not sure if Steam or DST will start in safe mode, but if they do it would be great for ruling out problems with the graphics card drivers or miscellaneous programs that might be causing issues since booting into safe mode will keep unneccesary programs from starting).

On 2/11/2018 at 4:39 PM, Captain_Rage said:

Strange. I wonder what it could be... For the sake of trying different things: set the CPU affinity in the Task Manager for DST to one core (not sure how to access this option in Windows 10); upgrade the BIOS (and/or revert the overclocking); boot into safe mode and try to start Steam and DST (not sure if Steam or DST will start in safe mode, but if they do it would be great for ruling out problems with the graphics card drivers or miscellaneous programs that might be causing issues since booting into safe mode will keep unneccesary programs from starting).

I did what you suggested, and the issues persists.

Archived