An idea for Willow, and how she interacts with fire

What if ANYTHING she drops into a firepit brings it to max.

This could be a lovely advantage OR disadvantage. Drop 1 cut grass into a fire and BOOM, top tier fire. In addition to being useful in keeping a base's fire roaring for almost 0 cost, it flirts with the idea that she truly is compulsive when it comes to fire. A pyromaniac who just can't help herself.

Additionally, without even touching the lighter, the lighter suddenly becomes FAR more important to her repertoire, as it gives her the ability to offset her fire compulsion with her lighter's ability to cook food, so she's not screwed if she just wants to cook 1 little thing on the fire in summer and not have her whole team pissed cause she dropped a twig in the fire pit and lit the base up.

6 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

I think maybe a boost to the fuel duration would be neat, but I think reaching the maximum fuel value from just a single twig seems like a bit much.

Boosting fuel duration would be a slightly complicated thing to do considering Willow has to co-exist with other characters. Not to mention, my idea's far more elegant from a coding perspective yet effectively DOES indeed boost fuel duration.

What do you mean by "a bit much"? I'd contend that even if this were implemented, Willow would still be pretty lackluster. In a world with Wickerbottoms and Wolfgangs, I'd hardly describe her as "a bit much" after this buff.

1 hour ago, StealthBeast said:

Boosting fuel duration would be a slightly complicated thing to do considering Willow has to co-exist with other characters.

What?

1 hour ago, StealthBeast said:

What do you mean by "a bit much"?

I think going from an empty firepit all the way to full all at the cost of a single twig, pinnecone, piece of rot, ect. just seems a bit silly. Don't get me wrong, I like the idea a lot, but I just think it needs toned down a bit. I was thinking something like a +50% bonus to fuel duration. So for example: a log is normally 90 seconds, but if Willow had this perk then it would be worth 135 seconds.

On 1/25/2018 at 9:01 PM, Sinister_Fang said:

What?

I think going from an empty firepit all the way to full all at the cost of a single twig, pinnecone, piece of rot, ect. just seems a bit silly. Don't get me wrong, I like the idea a lot, but I just think it needs toned down a bit. I was thinking something like a +50% bonus to fuel duration. So for example: a log is normally 90 seconds, but if Willow had this perk then it would be worth 135 seconds.

Er... TL;DR- I ****** up. Sorry, nevermind. Yeah, I like the idea.

Spoiler

For some reason I was under the impression that you were trying to approach the 50% bonus to fuel duration from the perspective of a slower burning fire rather than a flat 1.5 multiplication to the fuel values. Which would mean that a firepit (which can only last 360 seconds max) could last up to 540 seconds if manipulated by a Willow, which is a rad idea that would give her a real advantage against other characters even in bases where limited fuel is a non-factor, but as cool as it is it becomes a complicated issue when we consider what happens when people other than Willow put fuel in a firepit that Willow's already tampered with.

The only gripe that I have is that I feel a simple 1.5x modifier to fuel values doesn't lend her much of an advantage in bases where fuel is a non-issue. Whereas going from no light to "tada, you can see every corner of your monitor" with ordinary inventory ingredients is always going to give her a special perk that no one else has.

On 1/26/2018 at 2:55 PM, JohnWatson said:

i think willow should be able to craft fire minions at firepits like how waxwell can craft shadow minions

This... is interesting, but it has nothing to do with this thread.

Honestly, this idea deserves its own thread. If you could validate a fire golem, that'd be pretty amazing. Maybe even something that expands on Bernie.

On 1/28/2018 at 8:36 AM, Wilson_pl said:

Too OP. I think that she should just regain 10 sanity after throwing something to the fire.

Overpowered? Really? Just from how she interacts with firepits? Considering what most of the other characters can do, I can hardly agree.

The 10 sanity idea's kind of irrelevant to the thread, but I do like the idea... I think... sort of. I feel like it's too reminiscent of planting pinecones for sanity. I don't think that it gives her any unique advantages over the other characters.

13 hours ago, StealthBeast said:

Hide contents

For some reason I was under the impression that you were trying to approach the 50% bonus to fuel duration from the perspective of a slower burning fire rather than a flat 1.5 multiplication to the fuel values. Which would mean that a firepit (which can only last 360 seconds max) could last up to 540 seconds if manipulated by a Willow, which is a rad idea that would give her a real advantage against other characters even in bases where limited fuel is a non-factor, but as cool as it is it becomes a complicated issue when we consider what happens when people other than Willow put fuel in a firepit that Willow's already tampered with.

That would be pretty neat to have as well. Although the issue with other characters adding fuel into a fire pit already past it's limits is an easy fix. It'll just do what it already does: nothing.

This... is interesting, but it has nothing to do with this thread.

Honestly, this idea deserves its own thread. If you could validate a fire golem, that'd be pretty amazing. Maybe even something that expands on Bernie.

I wouldn't take all of JohnWatson's comments seriously. He's a known troll.

The 10 sanity idea's kind of irrelevant to the thread, but I do like the idea... I think... sort of. I feel like it's too reminiscent of planting pinecones for sanity. I don't think that it gives her any unique advantages over the other characters.

Actually, I think that might be a better way to rework her sanity gain from fire perk. A lot of people dislike how it currently works because it encourages people to stand around doing nothing. The sanity gain could change depending on the fuel value of the item that's burnt.

Archived