Reign of Giants should be patched into the Vanilla game for free.

This has happened in DST, why not DS? - With the release of Hamlet approaching, there's already so many bugs caused as a result of SW and ROG compatibility, as well as SW containing a bunch of ROG items and mechanics anyhow, which negates the entire point of buying RoG.

I propose that it could be swapped so there's SW & Hamlet boxes to tick, which toggle compatibility. You could then have a World Selector below this, above World options. In World options you could disable ROG if necessary on the Constant world.

The Mini Monument gained from ROG would thus become Timeless, and a Loyal version could be obtained via using the normal Don't Starve CD Key, which right now has no use in DST. (Anyone who owns the ROG DLC and does not have it would be able to use their key at any time for a Timeless.)

In this sense, it resolves a lot of issues, sets up for Hamlet, and doesn't cause any issues with the Loyal/Timeless Mini Monument.

As well as the fact the 5th Anniversary of DS is coming up (23 April) and 4th Anniversary of ROG (30 April) - It's been 4 years, anyone that's going to buy it already has.

If you feel you got "scammed" for buying it, perhaps they could offer a small Hamlet discount for owners of ROG somehow, but it may be difficult to balance with the Megapack's discount (likely owning everything except Hamlet would still make it cheaper than the Loyalty discount/Early Access discount too)

37 minutes ago, IzzyXD said:

This has happened in DST, why not DS? - With the release of Hamlet approaching, there's already so many bugs caused as a result of SW and ROG compatibility, as well as SW containing a bunch of ROG items and mechanics anyhow, which negates the entire point of buying RoG.

I propose that it could be swapped so there's SW & Hamlet boxes to tick, which toggle compatibility. You could then have a World Selector below this, above World options. In World options you could disable ROG if necessary on the Constant world.

The Mini Monument gained from ROG would thus become Timeless, and a Loyal version could be obtained via using the normal Don't Starve CD Key, which right now has no use in DST. (Anyone who owns the ROG DLC and does not have it would be able to use their key at any time for a Timeless.)

In this sense, it resolves a lot of issues, sets up for Hamlet, and doesn't cause any issues with the Loyal/Timeless Mini Monument.

As well as the fact the 5th Anniversary of DS is coming up (23 April) and 4th Anniversary of ROG (30 April) - It's been 4 years, anyone that's going to buy it already has.

If you feel you got "scammed" for buying it, perhaps they could offer a small Hamlet discount for owners of ROG somehow, but it may be difficult to balance with the Megapack's discount (likely owning everything except Hamlet would still make it cheaper than the Loyalty discount/Early Access discount too)

that wouldn't solve anything you would either have to choose between an expanse of empty sea as a start or hamlet whatever that may be. I don't think you fully understand how RoG and SW interact with each other all this would accomplish is making the DLC free the same problems would still be there. You also have to understand that in the time DS was made RoG was a DLC meaning that there was and still is a vanilla DS experience and people with RoG still turn RoG off. when the DLC was launched no one could have suspected RoG to be so integral to the DS experience.

Though the real reason I don't think this would happen is it would be to much effort for not very much gain doing this I'm sure would have to mess with a lot of old code it would be the same logic process if I tore down a wall and built a new one just because the old wall had a few scratches in it. These problems were fixed in DST because it was a lot easier to fix them in DST then it would of been to fix them in DS.

I agree that RoG should just be merged into the base game, but there's no easy way that Klei could do it. If Hamlet is like Shipwrecked (new world separate from the regular one), then possibly allowing RoG owners to get Hamlet for free/heavily discounted while simultaneously merging RoG into the base game may be the best way of doing it, but overall their best option is to simply leave it alone.

17 minutes ago, Lumpa1227 said:

that wouldn't solve anything you would either have to choose between an expanse of empty sea as a start or hamlet whatever that may be. I don't think you fully understand how RoG and SW interact with each other all this would accomplish is making the DLC free the same problems would still be there. You also have to understand that in the time DS was made RoG was a DLC meaning that there was and still is a vanilla DS experience and people with RoG still turn RoG off. when the DLC was launched no one could have suspected RoG to be so integral to the DS experience.

Though the real reason I don't think this would happen is it would be to much effort for not very much gain doing this I'm sure would have to mess with a lot of old code it would be the same logic process if I tore down a wall and built a new one just because the old wall had a few scratches in it. These problems were fixed in DST because it was a lot easier to fix them in DST then it would of been to fix them in DS.

No, a lot of issues are due to ROG & SW effectively being enabled at the same time. This does NOT need this, it fixes quite a lot of bugs as a result. This isn't anymore effort...

18 minutes ago, Rjazz said:

I agree that RoG should just be merged into the base game, but there's no easy way that Klei could do it. If Hamlet is like Shipwrecked (new world separate from the regular one), then possibly allowing RoG owners to get Hamlet for free/heavily discounted while simultaneously merging RoG into the base game may be the best way of doing it, but overall their best option is to simply leave it alone.

I wouldn't say heavy discount, especially if they bought it before DST got RoG. A light loyalty discount is all that's needed. I don't see why you say there's "no easy way" - It's really not difficult for them to do it.

2 minutes ago, Captain_Rage said:

Ehm, people who bought Don't Starve before Don't Starve Together was released got the latter for free.... This was quite generous, to say the least. The developers might want to get compensated for their work at some point.

That's got nothing to do with the topic at hand. In-fact, adds fuel to it. They literally got DST (with ROG) free, so why not just outright ROG? It's been four years. It's not making them anything worthwhile & it just causes problems. You are kidding yourself.

Since they bought Don't Starve when Don't Starve Together was in early access, the developers were nice and gave them the full version of Don't Starve Together. Reign of Giants was released inbetween, with a price-tag. Wouldn't it be a bit counterproductive to release a DLC and then make it free, especially when they offered Don't Starve Together for free? Klei would have made Don't Starve, Don't Starve: Reign of Giants and Don't Starve Together but only gotten paid for the first. Ouch. People who had already bought Reign of Giants would suddenly wonder why they paid for a DLC that was now free.

2 minutes ago, Captain_Rage said:

Since they bought Don't Starve when Don't Starve Together was in early access, the developers were nice and gave them the full version of Don't Starve Together. Reign of Giants was released inbetween, with a price-tag. Wouldn't it be a bit counterproductive to release a DLC and then make it free, especially when they offered Don't Starve Together for free? Klei would have made Don't Starve, Don't Starve: Reign of Giants and Don't Starve Together but only gotten paid for the first. Ouch. People who had already bought Reign of Giants would suddenly wonder why they paid for a DLC that was now free.

Literally all of this has already been explained.

1 hour ago, IzzyXD said:

This has happened in DST, why not DS?

The devs stated that they don't want to split the player base, that's why DST has RoG merged into it and people don't have to buy a DLC just to be able to play with everyone else, nor being restricted to the vanilla DS content. DS, however, is a single player game, so everyone can play with as many expansions as they wish (have paid for).

Just now, fimmatek said:

The devs stated that they don't want to split the player base, that's why DST has RoG merged into it and people don't have to buy a DLC just to be able to play with everyone else, nor being restricted to the vanilla DS content. DS, however, is a single player game, so everyone can play with as many expansions as they wish (have paid for).

But RoG is now outdated by four years and causes issues due to it's implementation, not to mention how half of it's content is implemented into SW, let alone Hamlet. It simply causes problems.

3 minutes ago, IzzyXD said:

But RoG is now outdated by four years and causes issues due to it's implementation, not to mention how half of it's content is implemented into SW, let alone Hamlet. It simply causes problems.

What problems? Can you name me a few? I didn't encounter many bugs in DS, and even those were in SW, not in RoG. And a bunch of them were fixed in the recent updates. 

I simply cannot recall and problem that were so big that it would worth to merge the DLC into the main game.

Just now, fimmatek said:

What problems? Can you name me a few? I didn't encounter many bugs in DS, and even those were in SW, not in RoG. And a bunch of them were fixed in the recent updates. 

I simply cannot recall and problem that were so big that it would worth to merge the DLC into the main game.

SW has multiple game-breaking bugs such as clock going out of sync, caves resetting entirely when you travel between worlds, and so forth, as well as hound attack bugs. A lot of these are caused due to how SW compatibility is implemented with RoG.

2 minutes ago, IzzyXD said:

SW has multiple game-breaking bugs such as clock going out of sync, caves resetting entirely when you travel between worlds, and so forth, as well as hound attack bugs. A lot of these are caused due to how SW compatibility is implemented with RoG.

I remember the clock bug, but I had it only between the SW world and the Volcano.

Oh well, I guess I was just lucky... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just now, fimmatek said:

I remember the clock bug, but I had it only between the SW world and the Volcano.

Oh well, I guess I was just lucky... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The caves resetting & hound attacks are a consistent thing.

As for the compability issues, we can as well hope that they will be adressed along the release of Hamlet. It's not a bad idea to be able to select DLC in-game when creating worlds (given that they don't depend on each other). Like pointed out above, the potential benefit of fiddling around with the original Don't Starve code at this point is minor. Let's hope Don't Starve will get a general overhaul alongside Hamlet.

Shipwrecked wasn't made by Klei, as far as I understand, but by Capybara Games. They probably didn't even have the possibilty to change (or redo major parts of) the game completely and meanwhile Klei were busy with Don't Starve Together.

I'm looking forward to Hamlet, even though I mostly played Don't Starve Together. If it will be a normal DLC, great. If Klei will rework and improve vanilla Don't Starve, even better.

Although, if Don't Starve gets a major rework, it wouldn't make sense to make the old DLC free, unless the new DLC will require it, or something.

1 minute ago, Captain_Rage said:

As for the compability issues, we can as well hope that they will be adressed along the release of Hamlet. It's not a bad idea to be able to select DLC in-game when creating worlds (given that they don't depend on each other). Like pointed out above, the potential benefit of fiddling around with the original Don't Starve code at this point is minor. Let's hope Don't Starve will get a general overhaul alongside Hamlet.

Shipwrecked wasn't made by Klei, as far as I understand, but by Capybara Games. They probably didn't even have the possibilty to change (or redo major parts of) the game completely and meanwhile Klei were busy with Don't Starve Together.

I'm looking forward to Hamlet, even though I mostly played Don't Starve Together. If it will be a normal DLC, great. If Klei will rework and improve vanilla Don't Starve, even better.

Although, if Don't Starve gets a major rework, it wouldn't make sense to make the old DLC free, unless the new DLC will require it, or something.

The benefit is fixing multiple major gamebreaking bugs in the SW DLC. Capy making it has nothing to do with it.

1 minute ago, Captain_Rage said:

Well, yeaaah, I'm all for bug fixes! Not saying no to that. It was the part with making Reign of Giants free that I was commenting on, though, which still doesn't make sense to me. Let's keep our hopes high for Hamlet.

It's a necessity to fix it. Why does it matter anyway? SW has the majority of ROG in it.

18 minutes ago, Captain_Rage said:

I thought they both had a part in making it(?).

Just now, Xedlord said:

OoOoOoOo Spooky... (idk) What other reason?

Point is, a DLC has more content than the game. As will Hamlet, more than likely. When the game itself pales in comparison to the DLC... well, is that not a reason to implement RoG?

Archived