Project Eden The quest for a 100% Self Sustainable Base (Episode1)

Part 1 in a series where i try to build a closed of 100% sustainable base with no input from external sources made within the game and not using debug-mode.

I will use my existing base to build it up but then close it of.

I forget to say this in the video. But the goal is to make a colony where the dupes live well. Not sustainable through them drinking their own tears or by not being able to go to the bathroom or some special traits....

But rather with water toilets, showers and nice surroundings...

So far I haven't even started, but I thought it could be an interesting challenge and fun to watch. I am also happy for suggestions...

Here s the video:

Thx man. Even in my "main base" i have tried to make it fully automated (no need for micro" and balanced. It is quite good balance by now with minimum micromanagement. (that is steady temperature, steady clear water level/steady polluted water level) .. almost 1900 cycles in.. That base is running a little bit thought hot since i started using two steam gayesers (after expanding powerplant to have room for new toys).. So it balanced out some 2-3 degrees higher than i would like.

So I probably need to extend my cooling system to get it down to prefered temperature.

The Original base however is very much dependant on a huge input of water to work. So for this mini base inside the base the big challange will be to make it fully automated (no micro), and no water input or external cooling. The later is what I am most afraid of failing at.

If you’re going to attempt to make a sustainable base without geysers you’re going to have to use things with positive ratios within a cycle ie boiling oil into gas and creating steam for one closed loop power plant and some water too.for the food you have options you can make a mushroom farm with morbs puffs and a conveyor or just use mealwood.for oxygen it’s possible to use eletrolyzers but you might need to make algae with a slime factory as I said above.the most difficult part would be maintaining temperature but there are ways ie exploiting infinitely cooling nat gas gens and fertilizer makers.Currently it is possible to have this setup be infinitely stable without geysers or warts but I’m not sure if animals can be cut out.

1 hour ago, Saturnus said:

Well. You can't say you weren't warned :D Now just imagine how bad it was before the performance upgrade.

ikr but to be fair you were wrong about the amount of air they produce :)  Honestly I don't know whats worse, that I did it or that I'm still playing that world :)

On 2018-01-03 at 7:06 PM, BT_20 said:

If you’re going to attempt to make a sustainable base without geysers you’re going to have to use things with positive ratios within a cycle ie boiling oil into gas and creating steam for one closed loop power plant and some water too.for the food you have options you can make a mushroom farm with morbs puffs and a conveyor or just use mealwood.for oxygen it’s possible to use eletrolyzers but you might need to make algae with a slime factory as I said above.the most difficult part would be maintaining temperature but there are ways ie exploiting infinitely cooling nat gas gens and fertilizer makers.Currently it is possible to have this setup be infinitely stable without geysers or warts but I’m not sure if animals can be cut out.

I plan to use animals. I think it s enough restrictions to cut out weezworts, nullifiers and all gaysers for this time. Also the setup I had in mind will depend on slicksters.

Plan is pretty much oil into NG-> polluted water, power, carbon dioxide -> slicksters-> oil... 

Total polluted water will be from Excess pee from using toilets + the NG plants (maybe complimented with pufft -> slime ->algae destiller -> polluted water). Boil polluted water into clean water.

Oxygen from polluted oxygen (loots of way to get that, morbs are easy to spawn.. or just a pile of polluted dirt... to name a few) through hydrogen bubbler to clean,  if I can make it efficient enough, otherwise try to make do with some water for electrolyzer to compliment the bubbler... ( the rest of the water/polluted water for food) and to clean any excess Carbon dioxide. 

I don't really count it as sustainable if i run excess oil ..because then eventually a closed base will be full of oil.

And then of course I need to cool it all down without use of weezwortz or nullifiers (probably the hard part)

@Ketmol The problem with your challenge is that it is very slow. Hydrogen bubblers need a lot of initial cooling and power to prime them until they are efficient. Sure after that they are self-cooling and require less power, especially if you transition into an aquatuner build, but it takes a lot of both to get there. Same goes for your power plant. If you try to recycle water too early your plant will only grow very slowly.

I suggest that you start with unsustainable methods until your builds are finished.

Just now, clickrush said:

@Ketmol The problem with your challenge is that it is very slow. Hydrogen bubblers need a lot of initial cooling and power to prime them until they are efficient. Sure after that they are self-cooling and require less power, especially if you transition into an aquatuner build, but it takes a lot of both to get there. Same goes for your power plant. If you try to recycle water too early your plant will only grow very slowly.

I suggest that you start with unsustainable methods until your builds are finished.

Did you watch the video? 

I m using a big base i already got running to build everything (A smaller base on an off-part of the map that I will surround with abyssalite and close off once i m done.

But I m using the resources from my old base to build everything and set up a base level of water/oil/hydrogen etc

then i can open up an entrance and tune it if need be. 

For fun I made a small sustainable 4 dupes debug base that implements most of the systems you described.  (NG factory from crude oil including a pH2O boiler, petroleum factory, aquatuner LOX, slicksters and pufts farms (for O2 and slime for shrooms). And each dupe has a separate apartment.  ;) 

It uses 1 oil well to be able to produce plastic, but no geysers. It uses an exploit for cooling though. And it needs cleanup, I made it as I was building and stabilizing the different systems. And it can be optimized a lot to save more energy.  But I thought I would still share it in case in can be useful to you. All the systems are very stable now.

seperate_apartments_newCooling.sav

base snapshot:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.6ede67fa9a1a4e38933eafb4aee6ebb9.png

Cooling exploit comes from this thread: 

20 minutes ago, Ketmol said:

@manu_x32 rly cool, takes longer for me since i m not using de bug mode.

yeah i know, that's a huge challenge, and even more if you don't use any exploit. I don't think I have the patience to do those complex contraptions in a real game. ;)  I might try 1 or 2 eventually....

Archived