Slopes? Yes or No

He there!

I couldn't find any post related to this, and I'm kinda new here so don't shoot me if it's been dicussed already.

I was wondering if buildable slopes would be an idea, although I realize the game is oriented around fundamental mechanics that correlate with each and every piece available and slopes would probably tamper with that, or atleast require a more fundamental approach than just asthetics, it will however offer some more customizable base building with a bit more depth like uneven rooms without the need for ladders. It could also offer a way for liquids to completely roll of a surface allowing for better water manageability when it comes to pooling multiple pools into one without the use of pumps (yay gravity).

It's just something that came to mind when I wanted to make my base a bit prettier and especially visually more interesting by using a-symmetrical rooms, if that makes sense. Just a bit tired of drawing and digging out boxed spaces and watching clones crawl their way up to a bathroom because I wanted an uneven floor is just not that sexy imo :p

Thanks for reading and go have some fun out there in the vast.... nothingness... of space  (drops bass)

OscarSKUpi.jpg

No. Simply because it's not possible in the game. All material interactions are to adjacent tiles. Nothing in the game moves diagonally. To do so would mean a massive and fundamental change in the basic game mechanics. Moreover, it would also break the fundamental principle in the game that each tile can only be either a solid, a liquid, a gas, or a vacuum. Slopes would mean that each tile is made up of at least two triangles, each of which could have a separate material type.

There might actually be a cheaty way to add slopes without diagonal movent. Make the slope an object which takes input from the top and outputs at the bottom and side. It would have to occupy empty space one square above the top of the slope, but everything else is a matter of animation and keeping track of how much water is in it and where it would be. Two downsides: it would be fiddly to program and the benefits are very situational. It would, however, be a lot easier than taking the entire game engine apart. Probably.

Fair points being made here, Tiles consisting of multiple tri's to make it work sounds about right, although I don't see any problems with that apart from the massive overhaul needed to make it possible, it would add some more interesting dynamics to the game. But ofcourse, it's just a what if :)

As for the "quick fix" suggestions, much appreciated and cleverly thought up, animation changing would indeed sorta make it feel like a slope but I'm looking for a "pretty solution" , as for the water slope suggestion I can't quite figure out how your suggestion differs from just a hacking away the dirt in a stairlike manner or just placing pumps in the first place. But tbh it was just an idea to support my cosmetic needs for a-symmetrical building, pooling is not that hard :p

Thanks for the replies!

6 hours ago, Stoomboot said:

... slope but I'm looking for a "pretty solution"

well my friend if you are looking for a "pretty solution", how about making a rotate-able decoration item one that occupies the background space (like paintings or even tempshift-plates) looking like a slope, but can change the skin of neighboring tiles so it looked as if it attaches to the 'fake slope'.

and so you have decorative slopes.

On 1/1/2018 at 6:26 PM, Saturnus said:

No. Simply because it's not possible in the game. All material interactions are to adjacent tiles. Nothing in the game moves diagonally. To do so would mean a massive and fundamental change in the basic game mechanics.

Couldn't slopes be implemented in a way to not break that rule? Have the space cut away not have any material interactions at all, but have an updated run speed animation for dupes and have it so liquids/solids dropped instantly transport to the first open non slope tile down in whichever direction. Gas interactions could remain as they are allowing you to build liquid/solid chutes that are only two diagonal tiles thick that are gas impermeable for fast transporting large amounts of materials down. Just an idea.

Archived