Random Encounters

Are you for or against Random Encounters?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Are you for or against Random Encounters?

• I'm totally in. (yes)
    • I just got cancer by this idea. (no)

Here's a thought - let's go with your bunny story. So, I free it from the beartrap, and I decide to follow it, maybe to see if I can get the morsel AND the sanity boost - Anywho - I think that as soon as you get close to whatever it is you helped, something traumatic aught to happen to it. Like, with the bunny, maybe a hound runs through out of nowhere, picks up the bunny with a squeal and either keeps on running or turns to attack the player. It gives that terrifying feeling back into the game, plus it deters players who decide they want to have their cake AND eat it too.

Here's a thought - let's go with your bunny story. So, I free it from the beartrap, and I decide to follow it, maybe to see if I can get the morsel AND the sanity boost - Anywho - I think that as soon as you get close to whatever it is you helped, something traumatic aught to happen to it. Like, with the bunny, maybe a hound runs through out of nowhere, picks up the bunny with a squeal and either keeps on running or turns to attack the player. It gives that terrifying feeling back into the game, plus it deters players who decide they want to have their cake AND eat it too.

Of course those events could chain in a certain way, to keep the whole "the world hates you"-feeling.

Of course those events could chain in a certain way, to keep the whole "the world hates you"-feeling.

Maybe even a sanity drop to further deter? I mean, it's not everyday you watch a hound brutally murder a bunny. I also feel it aught to be noteworthy that this event should be allowed to happen from day 1. The game hates you, and so should the people whom save then consecutively slaughter bunnies suffer.My god, I sound like Maxwell.

Maybe even a sanity drop to further deter? I mean, it's not everyday you watch a hound brutally murder a bunny. I also feel it aught to be noteworthy that this event should be allowed to happen from day 1. The game hates you, and so should the people whom save then consecutively slaughter bunnies suffer.My god, I sound like Maxwell.

That's the spirit, DS needs people like you :D

Sandbox games can simply not exist without random encounters. Just look at Don't Starve's encounters right now: The cute little Chester and the fearsome Treeguard. It is absolutely amazing to have a lot more of such encounters, because as you repeat the game over and over, there will be little to no things that will happen unexpectedly. Having larger number of random encounters will make the game a lot more unpredictable, exciting and fun.

[MENTION=2033]Palpetinus[/MENTION] +1 from me!

P.S. - Thank you for TLDR :drunk:

This is such a good idea. The thing that got me excited about the new update was not really the story mode changes, but the new random structures and chests you could find. It actually gave me a reason to explore the world, other than to find Things, or a pig village. Those two things were the only reason I explored before. If this was put in place, I would just roam around and look for everythingnew.