Big base, Low FPS - An experiment in fixing FPS...

As the title suggests (and at @Cheerio's recent request) I decided to attach the save file of my current stream base, which - much to my dismay - is becoming increasingly unplayable, even at lower speeds. I've also run a few tests of my own following on from this recent thread : 

Having explored most of the asteroid, and discovered all of the resources we'll need, I figured that before I have to prematurely end yet another stream playthrough entirely due to laggy low-fps play - I'd try and "fix" it with a few of the usual tips/tricks that are often recommended. I'm not a fan of mixing debug and stream play, and normally only resort to debug fixes if we have something like a ruin spawned on top of a geyser (yes, that happened) - so this is solely for science purposes ;) 

My system :

CPU :Ryzen 5 1600x @ stock

MB : Gigabyte AMD AM4 Ryzen AB350

Ram : Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 2x8GB 3000MHz DDR4

GFX : HD 7970 3GB GDDR5 (not the best I know, but ample enough to run pretty much anything on the market...)

Basic Save - Automalarkey.sav 

Currently running at between 7-9 fps on my system when running no other programs/apps. Ignore the part-built chimney on the right, was in the midst of a plan to cook some oil...

Step 1 - Remove all debris from the floor. Lag test Swept.sav 

Swept every bit of loose debris on the asteroid (including unrevealed/inaccessible) - Increase to 16-17 fps

Step 2 - Vacuum storage (compactor areas). Lag test Vacuum storage.sav 

Removed chlorine and made storage a vacuum - No change. 16-17fps

Step 3 - Mop Loose Liquids Lag test Mop Loose Liquids.sav 

Mopped all external loose liquids on the map. Slight change 18-19 fps

Step 4 - Restrict Areas Lag Test Airlock Denial.sav 

Fitted various airlocks - confining dupes to the immediate base. Slight change 19-20 fps

Step 5 - Lose my mind, mop all the liquids and fill the entire external map with Abyssalite, confine all my dupes inside the base, clear all the debris, vacuum my storages and essentially entomb my dupes inside a grisly man-made void. Lag Test ffs.sav 

Spoiler

Slight change. 20-21fps. :?

Kindly make of this what you will. In short the most noticeable difference was obviously the clearing of debris - however I don't run messy bases, so this was mostly debris from plants/pufts/tile destruction in unreachable/inaccessible areas. Loose liquids we've always known to be a slight drain on resources, however I was convinced I'd see a larger boost in fps from that - this was the biggest surprise for me.

The only test I had yet to do was remove all external gasses and make things into vacuums.

Step 6 - Vacuum it all Lag Test - Gone (Mind Included).sav

Spoiler

Slight change..... 22-24fps. FML.

In short - I hope this proved helpful/insightful for both Klei devs, and fellow players. If you have any further insights or tests that you think may improve fps, kindly share them after having tested them yourself. Sadly my base can't handle any more of this....

Much love.

-Life

11 hours ago, SackMaggie said:

How about remove storage ?

Hadn't considered that - although clearing debris was one of the biggest boosts in FPS, so i'm honestly not sure what would happen if I destroyed my compactors and just left everything on the floor (like the old drop pits we used to make).

10 hours ago, Botaxalim said:

This is one reason i stop play oni, and play other game

I love oni, but the basic problem is frustating

I think it's the same for a lot of people - I regularly speak to players who havn't played the game for months because they're patiently waiting for the laggy play to be fixed. They turn up in chat, ask if it's been optimised properly yet, then leave again for another month :D 

I achieved to drop below 1 FPS at some point. But sometimes, I don't know why, I can reach 5 FPS and it's wonderful. I need to hit pause or super slow mode to be able to give any order.

Some funny thing, is that I have experienced the spontaneous generation of duplicants. The portal is deactivated for ages, but 3 more of them have appeared in my colony. I don't know which duplicant arrived or have been born. So they are 65 now.

As a little update, it is with a heavy heart that I announce that last night, at approximately 1am - this Colony, who shall forever be remembered as "Automalarkey Lag FFS!" passed away silently in their sleep. It happened somewhere between cycle 500-505, and we're assured that the duplicants felt nothing. 

There will be a service held next Wednesday at 3pm, where loved ones are encouraged to come along and feed the now homeless hatches, and if at all possible adopt a slickster or 3. 

RIP Automalarkey. You will be missed.

Archived