Metal Refinery - What liquids?

Any liquid. It just heats the liquid and dumps it out. How much heat is added depends on the metal being refined.
The liquid is what takes the hit to get the metal to the temperature it melts at.

Oh and the metal temperature is forced to be 40C. This is the temperature used against the melting temperature so don't bother preheating it.

I was asking myself the same question. Here is some thoughts...

• A liquid which have a decent heat capacity (to be able to carry some heat) and heat conduction could be piped in a loop going through a wheezwort cooled room. A wheezwort cools down hydrogen to -60°C before they stop cooling. So, it would be best if the coolant stays liquid at -60°C. Petroleum is almost good for that as it can go to -59°C. Almost... but perhaps it doesn't freeze at -60°C but requires -61°C or -62°C ?
  • Using crude oil inside an abyssalite room would heat the liquid until phase change ? Is there a maximum temperature ? If not, it will turn to petroleum before reaching the evaporation temperature. So, it could be used as coolant, and when it changes into petroleum, it's removed from the loop by a liquid filter or mechanical filter, and replaced with fresh crude oil. Would that work ?

For the first solution, I don't think I can test right now as it is still bugued and produce way too much heat. For the second one... well... it works in some way.

20171110200522_1.thumb.jpg.3d2d77086f646ef968ae6cb09152b625.jpg

If you are not afraid of breaking pipes, you can still use that as some kind of efficient refining.

while making a couple of tests to turn crude oil to petroleum and/or petroleum to nat gas, I found something interesting.  Once petroleum is hot enough, crude oil mixing with it turns to petroleum instantly. You have to gage the input rate to not over cool petroleum but in my test petroleum is close to evaporation temp and crude oil is at 60 degree, so there's lots of room to improve efficiency. I'm using magma in this test, but there might be other ways to achieve this.  And no pipes breaking.  ;)

quick vid showing it.

On 11/10/2017 at 2:21 PM, Cilya said:
  • Using crude oil inside an abyssalite room would heat the liquid until phase change ? Is there a maximum temperature ? If not, it will turn to petroleum before reaching the evaporation temperature. So, it could be used as coolant, and when it changes into petroleum, it's removed from the loop by a liquid filter or mechanical filter, and replaced with fresh crude oil. Would that work ?

Pretty sure all "phase" changes break pipes, even if it doesn't actually change phase, just type. I had crude oil explode a pipe when turning to petroleum.

Other than that, there seem to be no limits other than the practical one (you need to get a suit dupe in somehow and suit stations break at 125C) and the genetic ooze melt crash which happens near 10000C. Though at very high temperatures, you may need to use some different lock: wolframite doors will melt at around 3000C, so you'd need to use a pair of liquid locks with vacuum in between, with the second liquid being some molten metal, magma or liquid carbon.

At some high temperature, it might be possible for suits to melt (last time I checked, they were made of dirt for some reason), but I don't think scalding damage gets (much) worse with temperature, so unsuited dupes should still be able to operate the machine, as long as they're full hp when getting in.

4 hours ago, Coolthulhu said:

Pretty sure all "phase" changes break pipes, even if it doesn't actually change phase, just type. I had crude oil explode a pipe when turning to petroleum.

You can see that on the screen I posted. The pipe is broken and the petroleum is on floor. You can still exploit this though. But I wont.

4 hours ago, Coolthulhu said:

Other than that, there seem to be no limits other than the practical one (you need to get a suit dupe in somehow and suit stations break at 125C) and the genetic ooze melt crash which happens near 10000C. Though at very high temperatures, you may need to use some different lock: wolframite doors will melt at around 3000C, so you'd need to use a pair of liquid locks with vacuum in between, with the second liquid being some molten metal, magma or liquid carbon.

At some high temperature, it might be possible for suits to melt (last time I checked, they were made of dirt for some reason), but I don't think scalding damage gets (much) worse with temperature, so unsuited dupes should still be able to operate the machine, as long as they're full hp when getting in.

If it were working, I would just cool the refinery down, and use the petroleum directly.

17 hours ago, GrindThisGame said:

Yup. Works well in the "real" world too (ie without debug):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyD2vYhILxQ

Nice, I may try that in my next game. It seems to cool magma pretty quickly though. My thought was too use hot petroleum heated by the metal refinery to convert crude oil to petroleum when they mix in a small tank (not in the pipes), and not turning it to nat gas, just to replace the need for oil refinery, and to get a 1:1 conversion.  And then use petroleum for power. You would need to control the temperature though, and those damn sensors have max values that are way too low, not sure why they are capped at 200C (is it impossible in real life?).  And since nat gas gives way more power, maybe that idea is useless.  ;)

Archived