GT 1030 do you play with it?

Hello friends! 

This is my first topic here so don't be rude with this newbie heheh

I am building a new PC, but i will buy a good VGA next year so i will put a GT 1030 on this with 16GB ram and a i7 8700, so i would like to know if someone play with this card on 1080p and how much frames do you get?

I would like to get more than 60fps.

Thanks =)

OBS: I want play all games in Don't Starve pack. 

@Banbo

Don't Starve isn't a huge graphically demanding game and I get a constant 60 fps no problems.

I play on a GPU that's basically slightly better than an Xbox 360s (it's garbage) and I only ever get frame drops when some admin spawns in a stack of thousands of entities in a spot.

To put it in perspective that card there is ~5-6 times more powerful/fast than mine is.

The CPU is about 1.5 times faster than mine and with more cores, so that's good.

Any RAM at or above 8GB should be fine for any game out ever, really.  Even 4GB would suffice for most games.

Something to note is that your monitor's refresh rate would potentially be a bottle neck if it's a 60Hz monitor- the hardware rendering at more than 60fps won't visibly display unless you have a better monitor like a 120Hz or one of those 144Hz.  I think there are even 240Hz running around, but I haven't been keeping track on that.

10 hours ago, CarlZalph said:

@Banbo

Don't Starve isn't a huge graphically demanding game and I get a constant 60 fps no problems.

I play on a GPU that's basically slightly better than an Xbox 360s (it's garbage) and I only ever get frame drops when some admin spawns in a stack of thousands of entities in a spot.

To put it in perspective that card there is ~5-6 times more powerful/fast than mine is.

The CPU is about 1.5 times faster than mine and with more cores, so that's good.

Any RAM at or above 8GB should be fine for any game out ever, really.  Even 4GB would suffice for most games.

Something to note is that your monitor's refresh rate would potentially be a bottle neck if it's a 60Hz monitor- the hardware rendering at more than 60fps won't visibly display unless you have a better monitor like a 120Hz or one of those 144Hz.  I think there are even 240Hz running around, but I haven't been keeping track on that.

Thank you so much! Someone else have a similar opinion? 

I run DST at 2560x1440 at 60 fps. Never had issues with client side lag or frame rate drops in normal scenarios but I can try some stress testing later. I have not hosted a server that ran for thousands of days on this pc so it might have issues with longer term worlds.

I7 7700K @ 4.2GHZ  (8MB L3 CACHE.)

32GB DDR4 RAM

NVIDIDA GTX 1080 TI.

Also if you intend to host a server/worlds on your pc it might be better to get a I7 7700K. I don't know how well the game utilizes multiple cores. If it doesn't utilize them well (Like most source engine games.) or not at all (Older source engine games like TF2, HL2, Portal.) it would be better to have fewer cores but at a higher clock speed. (As the game can utilize the higher clock speed but not the increased number of cores.) If we could get a developer to answer that would be great. If anyone has information regarding this please enlighten me as I have not seen any information regarding this topic and would appreciate it.

Edit: I have used a similar GPU to the one you have in your build. You might have some issues with choppy frame rate at 2560x1440 in area's where the game has to render a lot of objects. (Such as a large base with lots of drying racks, bushes, etc.) Once you can get a new GPU you should be able to have a smooth playing experience; I wouldn't expect to play at 2560x1440 at a consistent 60fps with that GPU.

Also I missed the 8700's max boosted clock speed (4.6 GHZ.) whereas the 7700k is 4.5GHZ. Your CPU should be much better than the 7700k as it has a higher boosted clockspeed, larger l3 cache, and the 7700k has heating issues at higher clock speeds.

Around how much do you want to spend on a GPU? You could probably get something overkill for DST for around $500 USD. If you play other newer games then you could spend more on a GPU but spending more solely for DST would be a waste. (Unless you really wanted to.) Also if you do play newer games I would suggest getting some more RAM sometime in the future. Again if you just play DST then you probably won't need more but most games seem to require around 8-12 GB mimimum of ram.

Honestly once you get a better GPU it seems like a really decent machine. It should be more than capable of playing the series for years to come and do well in nearly whatever you want to do.

1 hour ago, Dreamscape18459 said:

I run DST at 2560x1440 at 60 fps. Never had issues with client side lag or frame rate drops in normal scenarios but I can try some stress testing later. I have not hosted a server that ran for thousands of days on this pc so it might have issues with longer term worlds.

I7 7700K @ 4.2GHZ  (8MB L3 CACHE.)

32GB DDR4 RAM

NVIDIDA GTX 1080 TI.

Also if you intend to host a server/worlds on your pc it might be better to get a I7 7700K. I don't know how well the game utilizes multiple cores. If it doesn't utilize them well (Like most source engine games.) or not at all (Older source engine games like TF2, HL2, Portal.) it would be better to have fewer cores but at a higher clock speed. (As the game can utilize the higher clock speed but not the increased number of cores.) If we could get a developer to answer that would be great. If anyone has information regarding this please enlighten me as I have not seen any information regarding this topic and would appreciate it.

Edit: I have used a similar GPU to the one you have in your build. You might have some issues with choppy frame rate at 2560x1440 in area's where the game has to render a lot of objects. (Such as a large base with lots of drying racks, bushes, etc.) Once you can get a new GPU you should be able to have a smooth playing experience; I wouldn't expect to play at 2560x1440 at a consistent 60fps with that GPU.

Also I missed the 8700's max boosted clock speed (4.6 GHZ.) whereas the 7700k is 4.5GHZ. Your CPU should be much better than the 7700k as it has a higher boosted clockspeed, larger l3 cache, and the 7700k has heating issues at higher clock speeds.

Around how much do you want to spend on a GPU? You could probably get something overkill for DST for around $500 USD. If you play other newer games then you could spend more on a GPU but spending more solely for DST would be a waste. (Unless you really wanted to.) Also if you do play newer games I would suggest getting some more RAM sometime in the future. Again if you just play DST then you probably won't need more but most games seem to require around 8-12 GB mimimum of ram.

Honestly once you get a better GPU it seems like a really decent machine. It should be more than capable of playing the series for years to come and do well in nearly whatever you want to do.

I will buy a GTX 1070 next year, but for a whille i will use the GT 1030, but i will use 16GB of RAM now.

My motinor is 1080p 60hz so i don't need anything better for now.

Thank you so much for the help guys! =)

Did you buy it, dude?

Actually I think GT1030 is enough for DST with 1080p 60hz, as you have so good CPU and RAM.

But I suggest you can compare the GTX1050 with GT1030,  if GTX1050 is not too more expensive then GT1030, you may chosse GTX1050.

3 hours ago, DMC6 said:

Did you buy it, dude?

Actually I think GT1030 is enough for DST with 1080p 60hz, as you have so good CPU and RAM.

But I suggest you can compare the GTX1050 with GT1030,  if GTX1050 is not too more expensive then GT1030, you may chosse GTX1050.

It is just for a few weeks, i will buy a GTX 1070 in 3 months.

The integrated GPU on the Intel i7 8700 is more than enough to run Don't Starve Together at a smooth rate. The biggest factor to run Don't Starve Together smoothly is by far the speed of the processor. You won't notice any difference whatsoever when switching between the integrated UHD Graphics 630 and a dedicated GTX 1070 card with that fast processor.

Archived