How to make a battery sensor

1 minute ago, TOOK14 said:

Why not just make it 1 room, ditch the door and balance the number of batteries to heat even or slightly more than what the wheeze can cool?

To have a system that works properly you need a constant cooling temp, otherwise results become unpredictable. Batteries will never be On (heating) and off (cooling) for the same amounts of time so it can't be balanced by simple temperature fighting. It needs to be based on the time it takes for  them to heat to a certain temp when they are on, and then how long it takes to cool down when they are off. 

Then make -60 your baseline, have the batteries able to drive it up from that when they are on, the weezie will thermal lock out itself at -60 so that gives you your minimum, find out how many batteries it takes to beat that cold and then work out your timing from there, and if you want to keep the door, put a buffer and filter at 1 second each on it, buffer most important here as it keeps the door from closing faster than 1 second after opening, gives gas time to move in and out, I have not seen any gas deletion with this method though it is difficult to exactly measure it in most cases.

2 minutes ago, Kabrute said:

Then make -60 your baseline, have the batteries able to drive it up from that when they are on, the weezie will thermal lock out itself at -60 so that gives you your minimum, found out how many batteries it takes to beat that cold and then work out your timing from there

That's the problem. It should be about 25 batteries.

7 minutes ago, Kabrute said:

...and if you want to keep the door, put a buffer and filter at 1 second each on it, buffer most important here as it keeps the door from closing faster than 1 second after opening, gives gas time to move in and out, I have not seen any gas deletion with this method though it is difficult to exactly measure it in most cases.

thanks for that trick, didn't know it had to do with the time between open and close.

um... 400 watts of cooling / 6 watts of heating gives me 60+ batteries, assuming weezies have the same building multipliers as batteries, thermal mass co-efficient draws it to about 1/4 of that or 15 big batteries to produce the same mass of heat as 1 weezie cools in hydrogen.  If your weezie is in any less effecient gas it should need even less batteries.  Did I figure or factor something wrong @Saturnus ?

Something weird I didn't notice before.  If the battery sensor is connected to a battery bank that connects to power transformers before going to the consumers, the battery sensor batteries will not emit any heat while generators are off but they still have a charge in them, but if they connect directly to batteries and consumers (a small base for example), they keep emitting heat while depleting.

3 hours ago, manu_x32 said:

Something weird I didn't notice before.  If the battery sensor is connected to a battery bank that connects to power transformers before going to the consumers, the battery sensor batteries will not emit any heat while generators are off but they still have a charge in them, but if they connect directly to batteries and consumers (a small base for example), they keep emitting heat while depleting.

That's new. And definitely a bug that should be reported. Batteries should generate heat when they have a charge regardless of what they're connected to.

@manu_32  So I implemented your version in my current colony, and after some tweaking, it works pretty well.  I have 2 of them, one to sense when my main bank is full, and one to sense when it's draining out.  It's not perfect, I get some wasted energy at times, but it's a rare occurrence. 

Screenshot (110).png

Screenshot (111).png

Screenshot (109).png

Archived