Mass food storage

I finally came up with a working walk-in freezer layout that does everything I want it to do, so I thought I would share the design.

It requires zero power. It doesn't leak gasses. It doesn't require a waterlock. It kills all germs on the food. It doesn't destroy any gasses. It doesn't raise dupe stress levels. Etc.

Untitled.png.881f861b02baf6aa3e6c0542fb7cc921.png

The trick to it is the staggered doors. The door on the left is completely thermally isolated, except the one tile to it's up-left. That tile is almost always CO2 that collects there from the dupes breathing, which makes a great insulator by itself. The wheezewort above the doors keeps that area a vacuum between dupe visits, which is a perfect insulator. It doesn't stay a vacuum between the doors, since some air leaks in when the doors get used, but the wheezewort pump is quick enough to reduce the mass to negligible levels that it can safely be ignored.

TADA! Mass frozen food storage, with no downsides that I can see.

EDIT: Just to clarify, there is oxygen inside and outside of the freezer. This airlock design almost certainly won't work to prevent unwanted gasses to enter your base. It's entirely a thermal barrier, not a physical one.

19 minutes ago, SusanMcO said:

Would maybe stay cooler easier if it was a hydrogen room.  :)  Nice setup.  I'm going to have to remember to do something like this. 

That would make the wheezeworts more effective, true.

The reason I didn't go that route was because I didn't want to have to worry about hydrogen leaking out, or oxygen leaking in. Since it's oxygen on both sides, it's stress free for me and the dupes. :D

Theres not actually anything generating heat in there, except for the dupes themselves when they run in to grab food, so once it gets cold, it should be really easy to keep it that way with minimal effort.

I dont think they will get hypothermia in O2, did a test for fun in 2-3 kg O2 pressure in -60 C for one hole cycle and the dupe didnt get hypothermia. When they get hypothermia is when they stand in water :p. They get hypothermia when the body temperature gets to 34 C. 

7 hours ago, NanoD said:

I dont think they will get hypothermia in O2, did a test for fun in 2-3 kg O2 pressure in -60 C for one hole cycle and the dupe didnt get hypothermia. When they get hypothermia is when they stand in water :p. They get hypothermia when the body temperature gets to 34 C. 

I have had dupes contract hypothermia just from building at a -20 ice biome, filled with oxygen. Klei really cranked up the hypothermia to 11 in this update.

1 minute ago, Daikataro said:

I have had dupes contract hypothermia just from building at a -20 ice biome, filled with oxygen. Klei really cranked up the hypothermia to 11 in this update.

not unusual that there is water in ice biom. 

41 minutes ago, NanoD said:

not unusual that there is water in ice biom. 

I thought about the water too, but they had already built the main walking structure, 100% mesh tiles and communicating ladders. They were building the generators and battery banks.

Archived