I dislike the shower size, you?

2 hours ago, eggsvbacon said:

Hi there, does anyone else dislike how the shower is irrationally taller than the lavatory?

We don't have any dupes that tall either. :?

My IRL shower head is positioned taller than me too... If it wasn't, i'd have to use a sponge, or a flannel, or worse - a loofah! I'm a man damnit! I won't be loofed!

2 hours ago, eggsvbacon said:

Hi there, does anyone else dislike how the shower is irrationally taller than the lavatory?

We don't have any dupes that tall either. :?

i need more space in a shower than in a lavatory

I suppose it would look pretty irritating if I put showers next to my lavatories, but since I don't, I don't see what the fuss is about. I don't need the tile above my showers for anything else, and even if I did, I space out my showers with sculptures which do have a tile space above (for ceiling lamp or vent or whatever).

26 minutes ago, CfSapper said:

Hey man don't hate on the loofah its the best way to scrub!

22 minutes ago, Reaniel said:

I'm pretty sure the correct question is "plastic or natural".

If I wanted to scrub myself with a dried out cucumber, I'm sure I could incorporate it into my life in other ways - but for my shower routine, I prefer to use old newspaper and balled up tinfoil - it really helps get to those dug in mites...

:D 

1 hour ago, Lifegrow said:

If I wanted to scrub myself with a dried out cucumber, I'm sure I could incorporate it into my life in other ways - but for my shower routine, I prefer to use old newspaper and balled up tinfoil - it really helps get to those dug in mites...

:D 

Bahahahah!!!!

21 hours ago, Lifegrow said:

My IRL shower head is positioned taller than me too... If it wasn't, i'd have to use a sponge, or a flannel, or worse - a loofah! I'm a man damnit! I won't be loofed!

My shower head, even with the extension wand is too short for me, so I am already living in your worst shower nightmare.

21 hours ago, Byste said:

I suppose it would look pretty irritating if I put showers next to my lavatories, but since I don't, I don't see what the fuss is about. I don't need the tile above my showers for anything else, and even if I did, I space out my showers with sculptures which do have a tile space above (for ceiling lamp or vent or whatever).

You're basically working around a problem, you're right though, lavatories are basically porta pottys with plumbing, they are also less open than the outhouses, which, I think, the vast majority (actual outhouses) wouldn't be anywhere near that open. The shower is similar in it's openness, yet the lavatory is much more private than the other two, the shower is the tallest of them all. (I get the intent is to see the dupes facial expressions and to know who is where etc.) The shower shouldn't be this open, although, now, with the advent of rooms, one *could* argue it's meant to be a sort of gym like shower, open stall type thing, you would separate it with doors and tiles and such. IMO a shower curtain makes more sense in either way, similar to some variations of prison showers with cubicle likeness and curtains.

I prefer things to be level, the only workaround in my mind is to drop the tiles by one under the shower, but, dupes treat that as an obstacle because stairs don't exist, I couldn't overlap them anyways. (Outside of reducing the size of the shower or making the lavatory take 4 tiles up like the shower.)  (That being said, the shower does look nice.)

With the shower head being two dupes up, the distance of the shower head from the dupe by the time the water hit the dupes it would be much cooler,  not to mention, with the shower as open as it is (especially in re to water temp hitting the dupe), cold air would be rushing against the dupes, it would make for a awful shower, in my opinion.

That's my take, anyway.

2 minutes ago, eggsvbacon said:

With the shower head being two dupes up, the distance of the shower head from the dupe by the time the water hit the dupes it would be much cooler,  not to mention, with the shower as open as it is (especially in re to water temp hitting the dupe), cold air would be rushing against the dupes, it would make for a awful shower, in my opinion

I guess it falls to you to make sure your shower water is warm enough. A nice scalding 70° C should do the trick, no? :D

7 minutes ago, Byste said:

I guess it falls to you to make sure your shower water is warm enough. A nice scalding 70° C should do the trick, no? :D

You're not addressing my point really, there's a reason why you feel very chilly when wet, especially warm water and a gust of air hits you, or continually does,  not to mention, in addition the time it takes for the water to hit the dupe at that height, in addition to the constant airflow which would also be reducing the temperature of the droplets.

I'm trying to explain why it doesn't fit very well in a sense, no it doesn't have to be realistic, I'm not going there, I'm just giving you a few practical reasons for why the shower height, especially the nozzle, seems a bit out of place as currently implemented in contrast with lavatories. (My main beef is the size, not concerned with reality.)

I respect your comments though, I was hoping for a more substantive conversation, I get it, it's a dull subject, I do appreciate the comments though. I do see a number of people providing workarounds, in my opinion, it should be somewhat uniform, the showers are very pretty though. I know Dupes are quirky and the game is in beta.

Just my take.

1 minute ago, eggsvbacon said:

You're not addressing my point really, there's a reason why you feel very chilly when wet, especially warm water and a gust of air hits you, or continually does,  not to mention, in addition the time it takes for the water to hit the dupe at that height, in addition to the constant airflow which would also be reducing the temperature of the droplets.

I'm trying to explain why it doesn't fit very well in a sense, no it doesn't have to be realistic, I'm not going there, I'm just giving you a few practical reasons for why the shower height, especially the nozzle, seems a bit out of place as currently implemented in contrast with lavatories.

I respect your comments though, I was hoping for a more substantive conversation, I get it, it's a dull subject, I do appreciate the comments though. I do see a number of people providing workarounds, in my opinion, it should be somewhat uniform, the showers are very pretty though. I know Dupes are quirky and the game is in beta.

Just my take.

It's kind of hard to strum up a more substantive conversation when it's so trivial. If I really cared about showers being more realistic then the first thing I'd focus on is the water temperature actually mattering. Even ignoring that, I don't see a problem with the shower -- their bodies are enclosed so they're not getting a "gust of air" to make them chilly. A shower head that high really doesn't make that much a difference on water temperature either - try sitting on your shower floor next time you're showering and actually concentrate on how much colder it gets - it's not magically chilly if it was comfortable standing, just a bit cooler.

Anyway, if they end up changing the shower, I can't say I'll be too fussed either way. I just don't see the point and I'm more interested in devs focusing on new things to come, bug fixes, performance and optimization, balancing, more art, etc... long list of things before "hey this shower looks like the nozzle is uncomfortably high".

I'm not saying it should be on the top, I'm mentioning it's a cosmetic irritant that both doesn't make sense nor is it sized appropriately in contrast to the other pluming waste receptacles.

It is most certainly NOT entirely enclosed, that factors into the ridiculousness of the length above the doors and why the head being that high makes very little sense. It would in practical terms, very much effect the temperature when it hit the dupe, it's a dupe away from the dupe using it, additionally seeing as how 3/4ths of it are entirely open to air flow, it would make for an uncomfortable shower. (COLD AIR!!) To be honest, barring the sheet metal backing, this looks more like an emergency safety shower for chemical spills/ fire, similar to the emergency eye spray basins. (In which case, if it's modeled to be an emergency safety shower, then the temperature is irrelevant, but dupes use this shower regularly and it's considered as part of a bathroom as a normal shower.)

I listed the practical reasons of temperature differential and airflow because I experience these real world problems, my stall is abnormally sized, curtains/liners must be trimmed to fit the stall, in addition, there is a curve at the outer lip, so the liner doesn't make a seal, it allows COLD AIR to blow under, it also sometimes sticks to me. The shower is entirely fiberglass as far as I can tell, magnets don't work for it. Heavier shower liners don't work. Just these two things at a minor level are enough to make me somewhat dislike showering in my shower stall (semi-open) in my studio. Dupes would experience this issue much worse, due to them being half the length as the shower is, as well as 3/4ths of the shower being entirely exposed to airflow.

(Again, practical real world problems, but my main gripe is it's a cosmetic irritant that doesn't make sense, the size is awkward in contrast to the other waste receptacles.) The other reasons listed are just bits and bobs to strengthen my point. From what I can see, it's the size of two dupes, I think it could be shrunk a block, or like the lavatory: shrink it down half a block, make the shower head more reasonably placed at 3 tiles.

The shower is actually slightly taller than the printing pod, not to say that there aren't probably other buildings taller than the printing pod (there probably are), but in terms of plumbing (hygiene/waste), this thing takes the cake in length and make for awkward placement that needs to be worked around. (Small cosmetic gripe, but worth a discussion and some consideration I think.)

Appreciate your thoughts.

Joking aside, I agree with the original poster. Given that dupes are 2 tiles high, so maybe 6 feet or exactly as high as myself, I'm not totally convinced a shower need to be more than the 3 tiles high. That'll still be taller than any dupe can reach, and most importantly bring the shower in line with practically every other machine or building in the game. 

Archived