The map size and exploring..

You can expand your oxygen production outside your colony quarters. An easy way is to have an electrical cable running through your galleries and put Algae Deoxydizer at some places. Small pockets of oxygen through the gallery will be enough. Digging will reduce the gas pressure everywhere, so when you will produce oxygen, it will fill the space and compress unbreathable gases to the extremity. You can dig below and above your galleries level so heavy and light gases can fit in.

Your dupes can hold their breaths for quite long. It may be a bit inefficient early game...but you really only need to dig/ladders outside main base (to find geysers). To expand later in the game, it becomes extremely easy.

http://imgur.com/a/fQKOY

Just a quick example of my base. Some of the oxygen in parts outside base are PO2...but that doesnt really matter at all, especially lategame.

Algae terrarium is excellent for digging : no energy needed, produces just enough oxygen for the job and no more

I use to travel in map by digging gallery in abyssalite separation between biome, yes it's slow but my dupes are safe from heat/cold and toxic gas in here, and I just have to put some algae terrarium and turn them off later or reduce priority. plus i have a good amount of abyssalite for build insulated tiles later

Archived