Can't build: Is this a bug? Not sure but wierd

Hey folks, I can't get any dupes to build here. They started and got one door done but the rest is Unreachable Build. I pulled a dupe close by but that doesn't work. Am I missing something? Path looks clear.

Dupe won't build.PNG

ok abit later, I stripped off the top layer and they of course built the ceiling and decided "oh hey.. we can build 1 door... of 3.. " lol... they left the rest.

Dupe won't buildii.PNG

I know you can't reach it as a whole when they're building, order matters, but reporting it as a bug when you're essentially using this configuration as more of a pathing and transit exploit is probably not the best idea. Seriously, that's got to be the most nonsensical configuration of doors and I still see it in youtube videos.

People get used to being able to set things up like this because it's just broke like that and it's a feature, not a bug...

I leave you with this image of the navigation path of a hatch and three pneumatic doors. because that shloudn't even be a thing, but it has to in order for doors in this configuration to be traversable.

20170829014356_1.jpg

2 hours ago, Jcheung said:

Huh. Here i was thinking that had something to do with letting less air leak out across the lock...

How do sideways doors affect dupe pathing?

I'm sure it works as such. Dupe pathing across doors in this configuration is, by all manner of common sense, broken since they're essentially moving horizontally through at least one of the door bottoms to get in. As you can see in the image I posted, that hatch can move through the bottom of the middle door. And so can Dupes. Vertical movement is another story.

Although hatches fall through as soon as they jump on it, it's still a valid path according to the game. I've had hatches fall through these doors even when they're closed.

My point is, what's allowing the doors to remain traversable in that center-stacked configuration is a bug to begin with. If you do end up posting this as a bug report - this is what's going to end up getting looked at ( and actually it needs to be looked into at some point anyway because of things falling through them ). I wouldn't mind having a 1x1 door just for ladders or maybe a powered vertical 2x1 shoot/ladder as an airlock.

10 minutes ago, Masterpintsman said:

This. The lower tile should hold a foldable ladder that is extended into the space occupied by the door after it opened (so it'll give a 2-tile ladder for the duplicants to climb.

I kind of imagine an attic door with folding ladder when you describe it like this.  Sort of like the ladder is attached to the back (or top) side of the door.

Archived