Custom Animation Creation Help?

Hello, a good friend and I are creating a character mod for The Artist, Wellen (OC DO NO STEAL jk jk jk). So far, he and I have gone through and learned a lot on our own through our own experimentation. I'd say we are almost done, the character herself fully functions, and are now working on her attack component of making "living drawings" which are based off of Maxwell's book. My friend and I worked our first custom animation into the game, and while the game seems to be reading it and compiling it fine when I watch the compiler do its thing, it has some... interesting results once in game. The entire creature becomes a conglomerate of closed eye.pngs LOL. Any ideas as to what has happened? Any suggestions? I'd appreciate any help!

I have attached some gifs showing some of the loops I've made as an example of what I've made, including a gif in game of what happens once the game processes the anim file from Spriter. I have also attached some .lua files and the .zip file from the anim folder for you to take a looksie at. Hope that's enough info. Thanks in advance!

sketches.lua

SGsketches.lua

sketchesbrain.lua

attacksketch.gif

hitsketch.gif

idlesketch.gif

ye.gif

redsketch.zip

Looks like your build is messed up to me.

Could you post your exported folder so we can check the names/structure/etc...

EDIT: also I am curious why you return MakeMinion with 4 arguments but your function is defined with 2 only? The 3rd and 4th would be always ignored

Edited by ZupaleX

The max I've ever seen(now beaten by this lol) for atlas files is 3(Atlas-0/1/2) And they rarely are for the same entity(FX count) withing a scml. 

What kind of compiler do you use? I'm p-sure it is the source of "eeeewil" in this 

I attached the one I use for mine here, in case you might wanna check if it fixes.

never use the one from the game itself, some very...VERY weird results came from that for me

compiler.cmd

I do happen to use the compiler that comes with the Dont Starve Together Mod Tools pack, my friend and I have had our issues with it (T__T). That's probably one of the issues. Thank you for this other compiler @spiderdian I'll try this out and forward it to my friend... Unless he sees this post (PSSSST @DarkMatterZero)

I'll let you guys know what happens when he and I try this. If it still has issues, I will post up the exported files to get checked out as well. Thanks again!

Edited by ArtsWithLN

Hey, everyone! Thanks so much for the quick replies!

8 hours ago, ZupaleX said:

EDIT: also I am curious why you return MakeMinion with 4 arguments but your function is defined with 2 only? The 3rd and 4th would be always ignored

That little bit of code is actually a relic from the old Shadow Puppets code that I'm basing the Sketches code off of. I saw and fixed that just last night actually which seemed to fix an issue I was having with the Sketches not doing regular combat damage. Very keen eyes you've got there!

3 hours ago, spiderdian said:

What kind of compiler do you use? I'm p-sure it is the source of "eeeewil" in this 

I attached the one I use for mine here, in case you might wanna check if it fixes.

never use the one from the game itself, some very...VERY weird results came from that for me

compiler.cmd

I'll try using this compiler ASAP and update you with the results. I had opened the zip file before, but I figured that even though the regular DST anim zips didn't have that many files that it was probably natural since we're using multiple images instead of just one big image with all of the parts in it.

Edit: Looks like the compiler doesn't work for me for some reason. I reinstalled DST and DS Mod Tools onto my C drive (they were on my D drive), but the compiler says:

"STEAM_PATH: c:/program files (x86)/steam

FOLDER:

Compiling:
ERROR: Invalid number of arguments!

Press any key to continue . . ."

Not really sure where to go from here.
Thanks again for the help!

Edited by DarkMatterZero
Update on compiler

I never really had issues with the game compiler even though I did (I think) extensive stuffs with it. I mean I created a mob, several complete machines with swapable symbols, etc...

It is capricious but it should work.

Why do you have that many tex files?

Could you upload the exported folder?

7 hours ago, ZupaleX said:

I never really had issues with the game compiler even though I did (I think) extensive stuffs with it. I mean I created a mob, several complete machines with swapable symbols, etc...

It is capricious but it should work.

Why do you have that many tex files?

Could you upload the exported folder?

I wish we...cough...had the same luck

597be2a617fba_pljkokom.thumb.gif.a4d0c8c6db269e681f295c617dded63f.gif

This could have happened due to the default piviot point set in the spriter document at time of the animation. if your picture has a default pivot point it causes massive issues when you swap images in spriter. don't starve is compiling your scml data and attempting to use your default pivots from spriter as animation points, though it looks fine in spriter the way the game engine is compiling the .anim file is way differently then what you see in spriter.

also another reason could be the image size limit on your atlas, i've noticed when compiling when you go over 300~ images (from experience and observation)  it starts to cut off certain portions of images and then place them in other positions then what the .anim file is looking for

Edited by Renamon

Hey, everyone! I spent a lot of time fiddling with various image files and the issue is now solved! What happened was the images we were using were all 1500x1500 pixels. The compiler can only fit one of those images in a 2048x2048 pixel atlas file which is why we had an atlas file for each of the twenty-seven images. The solution was to simply cut out all the dead space in the images so that they could fit in a much more compact space. In the end, all the images only took up two atlas files which allowed the "redsketch" to appear perfectly fine in-game. I guess for some reason the game really doesn't like it when you have a lot of atlas files for one anim file. Thank you all so much for the help and suggestions!