Chlorine is Floating above CO2?

20170603144653_1.jpg

The Chlorine is floating up, above the Co2, which doesn't make any sense, because chlorine is a diatomic molecule Cl2, so its molecular weight is 71 g/mole.

Co2's molecular weight is 46 g/mole, so it's quite a bit lighter.

Is this something I don't understand about chemistry or is it just something that will be fixed in the next patch?

3 hours ago, Risu said:

Nobody said ONI had to use real world science.

Saying this isn't helpful at the least. One selling point of ONI is thermodynamics (check their steam page), if thermodynamics and chemistry aren't accurate, why bother even using names of real compounds/elements. 

3 hours ago, ExtollerOfTrolls said:

Is this something I don't understand about chemistry or is it just something that will be fixed in the next patch?

I do hope Dev's address this discrepancy but you did make an assumption that chlorine is diatomic.

3 hours ago, Risu said:

Nobody said ONI had to use real world science.

And for the record Chlorine has 34.453 g/mol and CO2 has 44.01 g/mol in ONI.

That is technically correct for a single chlorine atom's weight. However, chlorine gas is ALWAYS bound with another chlorine atom, making it weigh twice as much.

3 minutes ago, CodingKitteh said:

Saying this isn't helpful at the least. One selling point of ONI is thermodynamics (check their steam page), if thermodynamics and chemistry aren't accurate, why bother even using names of real compounds/elements. 

I do hope Dev's address this discrepancy but you did make an assumption that chlorine is diatomic.

I suppose, but it's kinda annoying when i planned my digging out so that the CO2 would float on top, since it's impossible for a single chlorine atom to exist in nature.

>_<

Chlorine.PNG

6 minutes ago, ExtollerOfTrolls said:

I suppose, but it's kinda annoying when i planned my digging out so that the CO2 would float on top, since it's impossible for a single chlorine atom to exist in nature.

By nature, I hope you mean environment of the Earth. Frankly, physical laws dictate whether something exists. If you can provide the environment where monatomic chlorine can stay inert, it will.

Most, if not all, elements can exist in a perfect vacuum. It's the limits of human technology (reaction to surface) and limits of detection that make us think to say "no."

There may be even pockets of rare, never envisioned, compounds that exist in space. However, the keyword is "may" but the moral of the story is that it's not impossible.

28 minutes ago, CodingKitteh said:

if thermodynamics and chemistry aren't accurate, why bother even using names of real compounds/elements.

Neither thermodynamics nor chemistry are accurate in ONI. And let's give a honorable mention to Neutronium and Abyssalite.

37 minutes ago, CodingKitteh said:

By nature, I hope you mean environment of the Earth. Frankly, physical laws dictate whether something exists. If you can provide the environment where monatomic chlorine can stay inert, it will.

Most, if not all, elements can exist in a perfect vacuum. It's the limits of human technology (reaction to surface) and limits of detection that make us think to say "no."

There may be even pockets of rare, never envisioned, compounds that exist in space. However, the keyword is "may" but the moral of the story is that it's not impossible.

I suppose you have a point. It's still a little weird, but since you mentioned that, it's not quite as bothersome.

I guess the dupes must have special bodies or something to exist in this weird environment.

Either that or the devs did make a mistake.

For the time being, it is a mystery.

6 hours ago, ExtollerOfTrolls said:

That is technically correct for a single chlorine atom's weight. However, chlorine gas is ALWAYS bound with another chlorine atom, making it weigh twice as much.

>_<

Chlorine.PNG

Edit: Deleted. Without the full article, my comment was a bit snarky and inaccurate

Also just to note, monatomic chlorine is observed in a mass spectrometer, showing up at m/z ratio of 35/37 (Isotopes). Also, diatomic chlorine ion is observed in the 70's (2x chlorine).

NIST Source: http://webbook.nist.gov/cgi/cbook.cgi?ID=C7782505&Mask=200#Mass-Spec

_________

The definition of "nature" is relative, not just ecosystems and biology. The fundamental definition of nature is the physical laws of our universe themselves. All you need is the right environment for the species of interest to exist: antimatter can be made and lead can be transmuted into gold.

4 hours ago, CodingKitteh said:

Also just to note, monatomic chlorine is observed in a mass spectrometer, showing up at m/z ratio of 35/37 (Isotopes). Also, diatomic chlorine ion is observed in the 70's (2x chlorine).

NIST Source: http://webbook.nist.gov/cgi/cbook.cgi?ID=C7782505&Mask=200#Mass-Spec

_________

The definition of "nature" is relative, not just ecosystems and biology. The fundamental definition of nature is the physical laws of our universe themselves. All you need is the right environment for the species of interest to exist: antimatter can be made and lead can be transmuted into gold.

I guess I just assumed that the environment of the underground colony was more or less similar to earth, since the dupes seem to be based off of humans, and we need pretty specific conditions to survive.

Then again, normal humans can't walk through chlorine gas with no ill effects regardless of if they hold their breath, so maybe that WAS a brash assumption on my part.

Still not completely sure I'm wrong, but I guess it doesn't matter too much anymore.

Sorry if I sounded rude or mean, I was just really unsure.

13 hours ago, Kasuha said:

Neither thermodynamics nor chemistry are accurate in ONI. And let's give a honorable mention to Neutronium and Abyssalite.

And Ooze, and all the plants, and futuristic excavation/gathering tools, and the ability to withstand 2000+ degree temperatures for more than the blink of an eye, and, and, and..... :D 

Archived