Review Electrolyzers ? -dev team please

I know this has been discussed several times already, the quirks and trouble with Electrolyzers. So my point here is to get an official reply hopefully whether a revision is planned or not ? ...to something as vital/critical as Oxygen production.

I'm aware of the trick to bypass max gas pressure with Water but I don't think we should have to come to that point to make the device work properly.

I used to have "Oxygen rooms" but now they seem to heat up too much (even with Wheezeworts), so I have them throughout the base again. Still, more than 50% of the time the Electrolyzers are not at full capacity and that's in low air pressure. Screenshots shouldn't be needed as everyone has noticed them not working well. I was told gas movement has been improved in the AU, but apparently not enough to fix this.

Couple suggestions that have been mentioned :

• Add gas output for Oxygen and/or Hydrogen
  • Make them more tolerant to pressure to prevent interruption.

Here a few posts on this topic :

Been playing with the gas output option for a while now and I gotta say, it really breaks the game.
Without the management of hydrogen it's just an easy source of oxygen. Really boring.

14 minutes ago, Risu said:

Been playing with the gas output option for a while now and I gotta say, it really breaks the game.
Without the management of hydrogen it's just an easy source of oxygen. Really boring.

I can agree with that, so at least the 2nd option as for now all this is doing is forcing the player to build more Electrolyzers which requires a heavier infrastructure.

2 minutes ago, PickPay said:

Thats a reply to whom ?

No it was for you, here's an example :

You just need to include 5-6 Hydrogen Generator in the room to optimize the pump. As Risu said, it's more interesting like that, it force us to find some assembly.

Also, since the Hydrogen is the lighter gaz, it's easy to concentrate it on the top of the base.

2 minutes ago, SamLogan said:

No it was for you, here's an example :

Thanks for explaining. The reason I put these links is only as reference that this topic has been concerning many not that I don't understand it.

7 hours ago, PickPay said:

I'm aware of the trick to bypass max gas pressure with Water but I don't think we should have to come to that point to make the device work properly.

What you refer to isn't so much a "trick" as a blatant exploit, and not so much making it "work properly" but instead breaking it beyond all intended functionality :D 

I may not speak for the majority, but I have no problems whatsoever with electrolyzers. Yes their output is warm, but we have been given solutions for that already. The fact that it requires a cooling solution to also be factored in balances out the fact that, lets face it - you're getting infinite amounts of oxygen for essentially a bit of geyser water (which thankfully they can accept at ridiculous temperatures by the way!) and a tiny bit of power....  On top of that they give you enough hydrogen to potentially be self sufficient. 

One liquid pump can support 10 electrolyzers (assuming you're using them all at maximum efficiency...) - making your pump essentially 24w per electrolyzer, but lets face it - how many of us would set up 10 electrolyzers? What I mean to say is that your liquid pump is more often than not inactive, with an occasional "jolt" to refill the depleted 10kg packet stored in your pipe.  

Yes, they output multiple gasses, but bell-tower roofs aren't exactly all that difficult - and you have atmospheric switches to use now, they sort of handle everything for you :D   To deal with the air pressure, you could run a separate circuit to bang 4 pumps in the room. Here's an example I threw together in about 5 minutes - it isn't pretty but it works and delivers oxygen at 15-18 degrees to the base. It uses 3 circuits (due to the filters/hydrogen pump) but could've realistically been put on 2 as the pumps at the bottom never all power on together.

20170531001154_1.jpg

20170531001217_1.jpg

20170531001253_1.jpg

The electrolyzers get very toasty, and I dare say when I can be bothered, i'll cool them with some gas piping or a trickle vent, but for now they're well below overheat range and it's sustaining a big old colony... I could've used more pumps, but my method of "chilling" the air was to slowly draw it past my wheezeworts, and it works well enough for the amount of time invested :D 

Have you tried building different setups in every play through? Heres another - similar idea, but different approach: 

Untitled.jpg

This one uses 4 circuits, but could've been reduced to 2 as it's needlessly over-engineered (I was tinkering with wheezewort pressure/cooling.) Again, 4 circuits doesn't mean a constant draw of 4kw, it just means they're wired to handle a maximum draw of 4kw without breaking any wires in case it ever happened - I like to build closed set ups so I have to be careful :p 

If i'm honest, I found your post a little misguided and somewhat short sighted - i'm sure you wouldn't want the game to be so easy that you can just place a single machine down that never over heats, has 2 convenient outputs, regulates it's own pressure and massages your feet when it's got a minute.... Wait that does sound pretty sweet....

However, I would love to see some of your attempts at similar setups because in my humble opinion, if the rest of us are managing to use them, why are you shouting about them needing a fix instead of learning the game a little more? Lest we forget, this isn't your only solution for oxygen production - you could always cultivate a slime farm, make a load of bio distillers, place a few deoxydizers down and deal with all of the same heating issues that would entail :) 

Just my 2cents anyway - i'd hate to see this game get simplified into the bargain bin for no real reason.

-Life

I honestly have not experienced these problems. I am alarmed at the realization that my oxygen is probably the reason my base has been slowly warming. There are machines and wheezeworts to dissipate heat though, at least.

18 hours ago, Lifegrow said:

Just my 2cents anyway - i'd hate to see this game get simplified into the bargain bin for no real reason.

-Life

Thanks for the extensive reply. I cant figure out how to quote each paragraph. So I'll reply in order.

I said "trick" just to be moderate. I'm curious how long those debug setups were running as temperature could become an issue. The heat made me abandon my old setup, I never said they should heat less. I don't necessarily want it simplified but mostly work as intended and something running below half capacity most of the time doesn't seem right (that is why I was hoping for an answer from the dev.). In the end it just means more Electrolyzers to do the same job. So I understand it's not a priority. Does it make it more interesting ? I dont think so, does it make it more challenging maybe (because a heavier infrastructure is required). But then they could simply increase the power cost and decrease the maximum gas output but make it reliable. Thats all I meant. Not starting a debate between ease and difficulty. I'll just say I prefer depth over complexity.

As a general note it is interesting how people interpret things and get the wrong impression even when I put careful attention to wording things right.

3 minutes ago, PickPay said:

I'm curious how long those debug setups were running as temperature could become an issue. The heat made me abandon my old setup, I never said they should heat less.

Personally not a fan of the "override with a constant temperature" buildings.
At least the natural gas generator uses the building itself as the source temperature for its outputs.

1 minute ago, Xandras said:

never had problems just cool the water and the air and everything is fine

How do you cool the air ? If you dont count Ice Biomes there are two ways the game provides : Wheezeworts and Thermo Regulators.

The first you have a limited number of. The 2nd produces a lot of heat.

6 hours ago, PickPay said:

I'm curious how long those debug setups were running as temperature could become an issue.

Woah there sugar, they weren't debug set ups :D 

One is from my live stream, and the other is my offline playthrough :p

I use debug for testing things and breaking things and figuring things out that shouldnt/don't work right - I dont use debug to build lazy, half arsed setups :D 

Archived