Design Goal - infinite survivability?

Endless survivability?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Should you be able to keep your base alive forever?

• Yes - If you are good enough to figure out how to master the game, you should be able to.
    • No - Make a cap on X cycles with an unsurvivable event.
    • Both - Make a "sandbox"-mode with no limits and an "adventure"-mode with fixed limits.

Hi everybody!

I just wanted to say that I am really enjoying this beta build of the game and it seems very promising. I am sure a ton of features will be developed (especially looking forward to aliens and alien technology). But there is one thing that is on my mind with this game: The "end" game design goal:

Will we be able to survive forever (like we could in Don't Starve)? I have to be honest; I really, really dislike the idea of being able to grind yourself through 1000 of days (or cycles) in ONI... and it ultimately turned me off from Don't Starve (also didn't find the motivation for doing the portals because it seemed like a side quest.) So here I am back in ONI and hoping this will be handled differently this time around...

I think the most entertaining part of the game is when you start out in a new asteroid and figure out how to stabilize in the first few days. Isn't the nature of this game exploitation and ending in a catastrophic mess? On the other hand I see a lot of screenshots with 1000 cycles already... some of you guys do seem to like to play that way?

What do you think? Should it be possible to build a permanent base forever or should there be a limit on cycles? Or some kind of devastating alien invasion on cycle 100 or something?

1 hour ago, Luigisopa said:

Hi everybody!

I just wanted to say that I am really enjoying this beta build of the game and it seems very promising. I am sure a ton of features will be developed (especially looking forward to aliens and alien technology). But there is one thing that is on my mind with this game: The "end" game design goal:

Will we be able to survive forever (like we could in Don't Starve)? I have to be honest; I really, really dislike the idea of being able to grind yourself through 1000 of days (or cycles) in ONI... and it ultimately turned me off from Don't Starve (also didn't find the motivation for doing the portals because it seemed like a side quest.) So here I am back in ONI and hoping this will be handled differently this time around...

I think the most entertaining part of the game is when you start out in a new asteroid and figure out how to stabilize in the first few days. Isn't the nature of this game exploitation and ending in a catastrophic mess? On the other hand I see a lot of screenshots with 1000 cycles already... some of you guys do seem to like to play that way?

What do you think? Should it be possible to build a permanent base forever or should there be a limit on cycles? Or some kind of devastating alien invasion on cycle 100 or something?

You always have the option to flood your base with geyser water - that can be your fitting end game :)

Every players aim will be different - personally I don't strive to make a "1500+ cycle monster base", because if i'm honest, I normally set out with a project (or 10) in mind and set to them. I enjoy the early game as much as I enjoy seeing a concept created (and working) - so I'm a cycle 500-700'er as an average I think, and then I reset :) 

Again, everyone is different - and for some the aim will purely be to survive, others will strive to survive in style, and others will strive to survive with maximum efficiency, etc etc. Then there are some just want to watch the world burn....

Archived