Fire at base - bug, or...?

Short background story:

Spoiler

I was on a public server, which was however quite empty most of the time, so I built a small base, adventured to the ruins ect. When the second autumn started, I wanted to make a Moon Caller's Staff, because I had everything I needed, and why not. I was never be able to do it so fast, so I decided to do it. 

My base was at the moon stone, exactly for this reason. To protect it from the monsters (as I was alone and as Wendy), I built sculptures and placed them around it. However, I didn't have enough stone (and time), so I "filled" the hole with grass and summoned a dwarf star in the range of a flingo. The event was successfull and everything, but the star didn't disappear immediately, of course. I knew it lasts longer, so I filled the flingo and left for a bit.

When I came back, the hole base was burnt down, but the flingo was still on. I believe that the dwarf star must have ignited the sculping table which launched a chain reaction, which however didn't trigger the flingo and so it didn't extinguished the fire. I'm 99,99% sure that it wasn't griefing, there was only one other player with 1 day, so he couldn't find the base, what's more, everything was untouched. A griefer would have stolen all the precious stuff from there.

20170505210748_1.jpg

So, my question is: is it possible that on an unloaded area a star can cause fire which the flingo won't extinguish? If so, is it a bug or normal behaviour (which I strongly doubt), or if not, what could happened? Should I report this in the bugs subforum?

Any help would be welcome!

9 minutes ago, fimmatek said:

Short background story:

Hide contents

I was on a public server, which was however quite empty most of the time, so I built a small base, adventured to the ruins ect. When the second autumn started, I wanted to make a Moon Caller's Staff, because I had everything I needed, and why not. I was never be able to do it so fast, so I decided to do it. 

My base was at the moon stone, exactly for this reason. To protect it from the monsters (as I was alone and as Wendy), I built sculptures and placed them around it. However, I didn't have enough stone (and time), so I "filled" the hole with grass and summoned a dwarf star in the range of a flingo. The event was successfull and everything, but the star didn't disappear immediately, of course. I knew it lasts longer, so I filled the flingo and left for a bit.

When I came back, the hole base was burnt down, but the flingo was still on. I believe that the dwarf star must have ignited the sculping table which launched a chain reaction, which however didn't trigger the flingo and so it didn't extinguished the fire. I'm 99,99% sure that it wasn't griefing, there was only one other player with 1 day, so he couldn't find the base, what's more, everything was untouched. A griefer would have stolen all the precious stuff from there.

20170505210748_1.jpg

So, my question is: is it possible that on an unloaded area a star can cause fire which the flingo won't extinguish? If so, is it a bug or normal behaviour (which I strongly doubt), or if not, what could happened? Should I report this in the bugs subforum?

Any help would be welcome!

Flingomatics don't work when unloaded, so it's best not to leave the star with flingo and rely on nothing burning. If you wanna leave base without worrying that the star will burn everything... you can kill yourself and haunt the star away, or get someone else to haunt it to get rid of it. Sorry about what happened, it's happened to me before and I hope with this info it doesn't happen again!

3 minutes ago, JJburner said:

Flingomatics don't work when unloaded, so it's best not to leave the star with flingo and rely on nothing burning. If you wanna leave base without worrying that the star will burn everything... you can kill yourself and haunt the star away, or get someone else to haunt it to get rid of it. Sorry about what happened, it's happened to me before and I hope with this info it doesn't happen again!

Thanks, it really helps :)

Well, I won't make the same mistake again. 

What I still don't know if it should be considered a bug or not. When an area is not loaded, flingos don't work, there are no smoldering etc, but the star still can set stuff on fire? Furthermore, not only the area of the star burnt down, but all the structures which were quite a bit further, so it seems the fire spreads quite fast while it's unloaded. (Ironically the first thing that didn't burn is the pine tree... maybe it's the game design that trees, unlike structures, are loaded differently and therefore weren't caught on fire?)

37 minutes ago, fimmatek said:

(Ironically the first thing that didn't burn is the pine tree

Either it was extremely lucky not to get burn down or it was a bug where it appears fine but is actually burnt.

and sometimes you can't even chop it down, you can only examine it. (my memory is a bit foggy but I think the bug where you're only able to examine the tree shows it as a burnt tree.)

That's bizarre, because if you set a tree on fire, and you don't want all the trees around it to burn, you can leave the area and it won't spread too far.

I've seen streamers who use stars as campfire replacements create a particular spot in their base to cast the spell, with unburnable stuff like moon walls around it. It does seem easier just to use a fire pit, though. Maybe it's just me, but I always pick up the rot, manure and guano I see while roaming the world, so by the time I have the staff I also have a chest full of stuff to burn next to the fire pit.

Archived