Sounds and Priorities

I think there should be a mute button for each of the structures that make sound. Like, the Water Purifier is over there making tones of noise and I wish I could mute it.

Also, the priorities numbers should be always visible on the side of the screen vertically. It would remove the step of having to click it on and off. Click a number and it goes into that priority mode, click the number again or hit escape and it backs out.

Love the game, keep up the great work. One of my favorites of 2017!

• Developer

Hey! Thanks for the feedback! I totally feel you that certain buildings are sometimes a bit loud and can get annoying. Thanks for bringing one of them to our attention. Always feel free to bring up more :)

The ideal plan is a mix which has none of these "too loud" cases, and then a mixer system that handles anything that slips through the cracks. An example of that system is duplicant footsteps. The volume of all footsteps gets dynamically turned down depending on how many duplicants are moving onscreen. You get the satisfying individual representation of a single dupe's physical connection to her world, but not a symphony of footsteps if you've got a whole colony cruisin' around on your screen.

The first line of defence in a game as variable as this is to mix everything so nothing pokes out too much. The second is to have a backup plan for unusual cases. A per-building mute button is an interesting last resort step to consider for the future, but we'd love to do the first two well enough that you don't even have to think about it!

I'll take a look at the water purifier, and I've noted your idea for a per-building mute button. I'll keep it in mind for the future. Thanks again and thanks for playing!

Being able to control some of the sound effects is much needed, the sound of the heaters is enough to drive you mad, and  pleeeease, let us control the sound effect when a new dup is ready, I actually got a complaint from the guy above me  (ok, I was playing at 2 in the morning)  

Just a suggestion, thanks

TnE

14 hours ago, Ted n Emily said:

I actually got a complaint from the guy above me  (ok, I was playing at 2 in the morning)

I highly recommend headphones. Superb sound quality (if you buy a good brand) and nobody will complain.

18 hours ago, Ted n Emily said:

TOO funny, that is exactly what the landlord said, hhahah

I use headphones all the time. My gaming my is personal thing, most of the time I don't need my whole family listen to all kinds of sounds my PC produces while entertaining me. And they keep me isolated from the sounds and noises they produce as well.

Speakers are for when more people at once want to listen to the same, and they have all kinds of drawbacks - the sound gets distorted by reflections off the walls and furniture, mixes with all kinds of ambient noises, and disturbs those who are not interested in listening.  

I'd rather recommend sound-muffling flooring. Place a structure on it and the sound is reduced by 50%.

Doesn't require a much setup, would be simple from a programming standpoint, has an in-universe explanation like reducing the vibrations of the machine (unlike a mute button), has drawbacks like not being able to place another floor there.

Archived