Charlie is Shadow Queen AND The Grue. Huh.

So a few months back, I do recall there being a bit of a fuss over the whole Night Monster thing. Suggestions that there's more than one of them, so on and so forth.

Well, I just happened to see the newest announce text for if Wilson is about to be attacked by the Night Monster.

"That presence... it's familiar! Hello?"

Would appear that it is in fact still Charlie. She is, through some means, managing to both be Shadow Queen Charlie, sitting upon the throne, AND horrific shifty Grue.

2 minutes ago, The Curator said:

Wickerbottom also references the night monster is Charlie as she claims to smell roses when the Darkness comes after her.

Where did the term Grue come from though in context with the game.

"Charlie is referenced as Grue in the game files. This is a reference to the iconic monster from the game Zork. In Zork, the Grue only attacks players in pitch darkness after a line of warning, just like in Don't Starve." from wiki.

I don't think Maxwell's comment changed after ANR released, and he'd know best.

• Developer
11 minutes ago, The Curator said:

Before Maxwell was even an available char, all deaths to Charlie would be tagged as "grue". It was when Maxwell was released and died to her that it would display "Charlie", and people went crazy with theories and we got the puzzle and yeah, good times. Not that I was there, but still, good times.

10 minutes ago, The Curator said:

Wickerbottom also references the night monster is Charlie as she claims to smell roses when the Darkness comes after her.

Charlie was referenced in the Obituary as the Grue before the William Carter Puz-and oh I've just been ninja'd.

Yeeep.

2 hours ago, Silentdarkness1 said:

Still, I just haven't seen anyone actually point this out up until now, so I found it interesting.

Probably because it was just something everyone already knew so there was no need. Maxwell and Wilson's lines, as well as references to roses the other characters make had always pointed to it since cyclum.

The animation for a player getting attacked by Charlie even showed her hand long before her monster form was revealed.

Archived