Theory about everything in the DS world - SW, DS, DST

Webber (only confirmed pre-Wilson character):

Found as a skull inside a Spider - it appears as though he died, and THEN the skull was eaten. Hence, the skull being indigestible.

Due to game logic and lore, throwing that in a grave makes his old body grow inside the spider.

This is an alternate to the popular theory that he was literally eaten alive, or a failed experiment.

However, this means Webber would have been in the world, and died, before Wilson ever arrived.

Thus, it appears the timeline went as such:

Take a batch of survivors - Webber (a human, at this point.), Wes (he's here before Wilson), and some others.

Most of them/all of them died or "escaped" using the Teleportato or something else

Wilson was taken here (I'm sure Klei have mentioned that Wilson was first of our current survivors (this was pre-RoG, if it counts.) thus meaning he came before Willow onwards. So how is there dead skeletons? Easy, another batch of survivors came before. - If I am wrong on this, the other evidence would still amount to the same result, so this is not important.)

Others were taken as Wilson is in the world (EXP possibly symbolizing this in the original)

Webber was revived using this "tainted" skull while they were in the world, causing him to be a dollar store Spiderman.

While it is unknown who came before, we can theorise!

"You thought you were the first? Ha!" to Wilson, who IS in fact the first of our survivors, discounting Wes/Webber.

"I remember that one!" - Maxwell, about the boons. It appears he means he remembers the person, which is possible - in DST you can recognize random skeletons, so it isn't a stretch to think Maxwell could recognize them. God knows how, though.

Webber and Wes - Webber appears to still have the mentality of a child, and never seems to mention the past. Odd. - On the other hand, Wes is mute. This could be some kind of symbolism for removing the tongue of a traitor, if you will. He's hence, unable to ever say a word about it. 

Boons - The boons have a theme to them, and also made camps in the world - including in Adventure Mode... - These themes include:

Beefalo Tamer: Has wool around the skeleton, a Beefalo Pen can be found in the world. - Speculation would show this could be Winnie, a scrapped character who is a Shepherdess? - Maybe the Beefalo Trader in DST has something to do with this.

Miner: Has stone and a pickaxe around the skeleton, a Miner's Camp can be found in the world, as can a Caves camp. - Winona? Theoretically she's not in the world at this point, but maybe? She is shown to have "worked in a mine" - perhaps not a literal one.

Lumberjack: Has wood and an Axe around the skeleton, however I don't believe there is a matching camp. - Woodie? Pretty big stretch considering he was most likely taken by Maxwell. That, or there's more mystery surrounding Woodie, Lucy and his 'accident' (leaked DST skin of Woodie with an axe mark on his head. - Delusions/hallucinations?)

Other camps: In Adventure Mode especially, there are larger more filled out camps, likely belonging to these little guys.

Other questions:

Why was Wes locked up, and why is he a mute? - It really gives the vibe of "You dun goofed, Wes" - as if he had done something he should not have. Perhaps tried to use the Atrium to escape? The Teleportato? We'll never know.

It would be nice to get a cinematic about these guys, or even a full fledged prequel? Maybe?

Flaws with this theory: Discounts SW, however most people have come to the conclusion it is not canon, so we're waiting on Klei's lead there.

EDIT: Perhaps Maxwell didn't even take this old batch, just toyed with them? - The Adventure Mode camps show Maxwell could have made his own way to the Throne and taken it for himself. 

If we go off Winona's quotes:

DIVININGRODBASE - UNLOCK - "Is this how the bossman disappeared?" - Winona is shown to have worked in Voxola via her other quotes, so the bossman in this case is Robert Wagstaff, creator of the PR-76 atop the Divining Rod. Putting the Rod in and taking pity is what the Unlock quote is for, so it would appear Wagstaff was in some form, on the throne - How Winona knows this is a mystery. Perhaps she was there for it? - If Maxwell did release Wagstaff, where is he, let alone the others? - Judging by the amount of boons, they could literally have died, though that seems like a boring conclusion to a good story arc. 

This would make the Throne's timeline as so:

Ancient Throne - (theoretically Metheus) Staff Guy is on the Throne at this point. It appears he exploits the Throne in order to make his society thrive using Nightmare Fuel. 

<Somehow Humans enter the Don't Starve world of their own accord, causing the next part. Maybe SW goes somewhere here?>

???? - Wagstaff may be on the throne at this point. It appears he takes in a bunch of Humans to try and free him, but They have other plans.

Nightmare Throne - Maxwell is on the throne at this point. He takes in Wilson and the others, up to Wigfrid. Webber and Wes were in the world before, and the SW characters appear to have their own story arc.

Florid/Umbral/??? Throne - Charlie is on the throne at this point. She has not taken anyone in, possibly due to the fact they are all alive, or just due to the fact the updates aren't out yet ;) - Winona appears to be coming soon, so perhaps Charlie has freed Winona, or even revived her? We'll find out!

??? - ???

Another part to this is that it almost appears the old batch were together, rather than split up, due to the amount of boons in a world (that are all theoretically more or less the same age in the scheme of things) versus the one alive guy. They may have been split up due to being too powerful in a group, and perhaps this is why Don't Starve Together happens - Maxwell must know about this in some form, perhaps it's why his Codex has blueprints? - Wagstaff may have made them, due to his background as a Factory Owner and on the Throne...

A big problem with this is how Humans entered the world in the first place. Theoretically Wagstaff had forbidden knowledge/gained it from the Codex Umbra, and used it to make a portal into the world? It would explain the blueprints in the Codex. Likely he took the throne from Staff Guy (who is currently MIA, but apparently still in the world, likely through the Ancient Gateway - Metheus puzzles would show there is a surviving Ancient.)

Something we still don't know about the game is how exactly characters other than Wilson/Maxwell got through the Portal to them? Perhaps the Divining Rod lead them to it or they were taken by something.

As for Shipwrecked, it appears to have it's own story arc that may or may not link into DS' story. Theoretically lore-wise the Archipelago is in the world with the Mainland, but there's no explanation how Walani, Warly, Wilbur and Woodlegs got there.

Wilbur does appear to be mentioned in a William Carter puzzle, specifically that there was a Circus Cart with intelligent Monkeys, such as himself. - Though this could have been retconned.

If we are to take the Shipwrecked Trailer as totally canon, Wilson made it there on his attempt to escape from the island, it would place it somewhere like...

>Wilson kidnapped

>others slowly arriving

>Wilson tries to make a boat and escape the island - washing up ashore a tropical island in an archipelago.

>Theoretically, he is actually with Walani, Warly, Wilbur and Woodlegs.

What is interesting is:
Walani is a Surfer, she would be in the sea

Warly is said to be a Cruise Ship Chef by Klei, Jamaican, at that. (rather near the Bermuda triangle)

Wilbur is a lazy replacement for Watricia, as said by common sense

Woodlegs is a pirate, so would also be on the sea.

Odds are the fact that (all of them if we don't count Wilbur, but DO count Watricia) they all have links to the sea would denote they were NOT bribed into the world, accidentally ending up there, instead.

Perhaps they went through the Bermuda Triangle?

Warly's Cruise Ship, assumed to be Quest, would have gone directly through it if it was going to Jamaica on a short route. - Again, ended up there. This is backed up by other evidence I will put below)

Walani could quite easily have surfed into it (really though, Walani? You stupid?) - Ended up there.

Wilbur, being a monkey can be assumed to have lived there already, due to Prime Apes.

Watricia is more or less a Castaway reference, with her Postal Bag and other things. - She could be Castaway in the Bermuda Triangle.

Woodlegs is a Pirate. A nutty pirate, at that. What kind of nutty pirate wouldn't go right there in search of loot? That's what he did.

Wolly's SW quote would thus make a lot of sense. "Nice sailing, Chump!" - All of the characters, even Wilbur, got there by failing at sailing (trademark) - Wilbur is on a raft when you unlock him, where he sinks. Hence, failing at sailing. Warly was on a Cruise Ship that crashed in the Bermuda Triangle. Again, showing that he did too. Walani was surfing in the Bermuda triangle and failed. Woodlegs was on his boat, and failed. Wilson, in the SW trailer, ALSO failed. 

The difference is, Walani, Warly and Woodlegs came from the outside and not the DS world.

Steamer Trunks in SW. - Steamer Trunks are literally just luggage. What do you take on a Cruise Ship? Luggage. - It's quite possible the ship crashed, hence sending it everywhere. 

Wolly's Boat on the DS island - This seems to be somebody's rather pitiful attempt at escaping the Archipelago, where they simply ended up in a larger part of it. Likely Woodlegs or Warly, due to the fact that Woodlegs uses his own boat (and Wolly is a pirate!) & Walani and Wilbur use rafts. Warly is just a stand-in in all honesty.

Hence, this connects even SW together. Rejoice.

TL;DR: Don't Starve's worlds are all in the Bermuda Triangle. Theoretically the mythical "evil" there is actually Them all along.

New timeline:

Ancients die out, Staff Guy on throne, becoming the Shadows.

Some time after, Humans arrive through innate curiosity in the Bermuda Triangle.

They get to the mainland, also.

Wagstaff makes contact with these Humans through the PR-76, and theoretically THE Codex Umbra. 

Wagstaff enters the world, taking the Throne from Staff Guy.

Wagstaff takes in new players, notably Wes and Webber (in addition to Walani, Warly, Wilbur and Woodlegs)

Maxwell arrives via the Codex Umbra found in the Desert during a time of hardship, after abusing it's power - A repeat of the Ancients' fate. Never abuse the Nightmare Fuel.

Maxwell takes the throne after beating Wagstaff's trials, now known as Adventure Mode.

Wagstaff is missing, Staff Guy is missing. Maxwell ALSO was after being released from the throne, and makes it into the world much later than Wilson did, likely at the mercy of Charlie. - Though this is later on.)

Theoretically, Maxwell holds a grudge against Wes, locking him up in Two Worlds.

Maxwell takes in Wilson and the others

>events of DS, with Wolly being there from the start.

>events of Cyclum

>events of DST

Long post, I know.

5 minutes ago, jantonio said:

it aint fact till proven :>

1890s - 1906: William Carter origin story
1906: William and Charlie enter the DS world. 
1906 - 1910ish: Some crazy stuff happens that we haven't told you about yet.... 
1910ish - 1921: The various playable characters get pulled into the DS world.
1921: Wilson gets pulled in (Forbidden Knowlege trailer).
*THE ORIGINAL GAME + ROG STARTS HERE*
?: Wilson lives in DSworld for a while. Dies a lot, eventually finds Maxwell's door and confronts Maxwell
?: Wilson replaces Maxwell on the Nightmare Throne, Maxwell becomes Waxwell.
?: Some other crazy stuff happens that we haven't told you about yet.... 
?: The DST plotline begins

-Kevin

9 minutes ago, cactusarms said:

1890s - 1906: William Carter origin story
1906: William and Charlie enter the DS world. 
1906 - 1910ish: Some crazy stuff happens that we haven't told you about yet.... 
1910ish - 1921: The various playable characters get pulled into the DS world.
1921: Wilson gets pulled in (Forbidden Knowlege trailer).
*THE ORIGINAL GAME + ROG STARTS HERE*
?: Wilson lives in DSworld for a while. Dies a lot, eventually finds Maxwell's door and confronts Maxwell
?: Wilson replaces Maxwell on the Nightmare Throne, Maxwell becomes Waxwell.
?: The DST plotline begins

-Kevin

wiki is hard to credit but it will do i guess.

12 hours ago, jantonio said:

wiki is hard to credit but it will do i guess.

Its a confirmed timeline by @Kevin himself. Wilson is the last character pulled in before Charlie's reign. I don't have the source post right now, I'll edit it in when I eventually find it.

12 hours ago, cactusarms said:

Maxwell and Wilson enter the same world. Charlie replaces Wilson on the throne.

Kebab.png

One thing I wanna know is where does SW fit into the timeline, is it even real?

Just now, PillsStealer said:

Maxwell and Wilson enter the same world. Charlie replaces Wilson on the throne.

Kebab.png

One thing I wanna know is where does SW fit into the timeline, is it even real?

To me, it feels like a tropical survival game that just happens to feature the DS cast. Sort of like Mario Kart having Link as a playable character...

Hmm.  One thing I've noticed is that if you're playing as Walani on the mainland (and here I'm thinking about singleplayer Don't Starve, with a Shipwrecked-compatible compatible world--although yes, you can also use a SW-characters mod for Together--not that I would know anything about that)

Spoiler

walaniandfluffbutt.png

and you have her look at a pine tree, she says: "It reminds me of winter.  Yuck." (emphasis mine, obviously)

Okay, so...did she used to live somewhere with pine trees and winter in the "real" world...or on the mainland of Don't Starve's world and then, like Wilson, sailed (or surfed!) off into the islands area?  Hmmm...

Now, how the Shipwrecked characters got there in the FIRST place is another whole big question, and one I find kinda interesting. After all, we know far less about them than we do the others.  Was there a portal over/in the ocean, or did they go through a land portal and then ended up at/went to the islands on purpose soon afterwards?  Huh.

As for the earlier stuff...I kinda go with Webber was eaten by the spider, grew inside it, then died and somehow left a spider skull behind (since, ya know...spiders don't normally HAVE bones), Wes and possibly also Wolfgang were there earlier, because Maxwell already knew them from the circus--Wilbur being a monkey in said circus as well is kinda interesting, since...does that mean he was actually trying to get HOME when he got to the SW islands?  He is, after all, the dethroned King of the Monkeys there... 

The other skeletons were definitely previous survivors who...didn't survive, although if they were anybody specific I don't know, and then the parts of the storyline we more or less know through gameplay kick in.

...Notorious

Why do people think Wes & Wolfgang know each other? Back when the character inspection quotes were first introduced, Wolfgang always would refer to Wes as "clown-man". Unless this was changed, It does not seem to me like they knew each other, although clown-man could be a nickname of some sort so maybe I'm wrong.

I do know about the Wes-like figure on one of the circus posters, but its not evidence to assume that Wes & Wolfgang were friends.

Also If the inspection quotes were changed for Wes, can someone post them here? I'd like to see them. That's all.

Archived