Oasis and the Flingomatic

I'm building my first Oasis base and looking forward to building without consideration of flingomatic range for every structure...  but I also want to consider where Flingo are still useful.  I know you can burn a bee box to get the bees out quicker for faster honey production and to collect without being attacked, and a flingo can be used to automatically extinguish the bee box as you do this.  What other situations can a flingo really come in handy in an oasis base?

I know fire farms are a big thing in ds, I guess I"m asking what some good dst examples are ^_^

Flingos are good for fire hounds if you don't have tooth trap fields set up already, just stay by the fire their dead bodies create to freeze over all the other hounds so you can pick them all off 1 by 1.

Also, fire farms are not possible anymore in DST, to my knowledge. They were too game disrupting in the multiplayer environment.

Also, note that lureplants (Meaty bulbs) will smolder before everything else does in the game, as they have what's called "Smoldering priority". You can use this knowledge to make one flingo technically cover a far bigger range when combined with a lureplant, but this doesn't protect against if say your base is burning down due to a griefer, so if you're paranoid of that, you should still cover your belongings in flingomatics.

Hey - that lureplant tip is awesome!  So basically if I build a flingo, and on the outer ranges of the flingo I put the lure plants in 4 directions from it (assuming my base is all boarded up so these cannot sprout any annoying eyes) then I could build my base as I wish out from those eye plants another radius without being concerned about the flingo range.

Am I understanding that correctly?  and what would the range of their priority effect be?  

(I am not concerned about griefer, only summer / smolder.  I am typically able to quickly clear my base before hounds attack without issue)

54 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

Hey - that lureplant tip is awesome!  So basically if I build a flingo, and on the outer ranges of the flingo I put the lure plants in 4 directions from it (assuming my base is all boarded up so these cannot sprout any annoying eyes) then I could build my base as I wish out from those eye plants another radius without being concerned about the flingo range.

Pretty much, yeah. I don't have much experience with it, but as long as the lures are in range of the flingo so they themselves can be extinguished, all should be good.

Tell ya what, if you do this and your base burns down anyway, I'll give you a magical gift.

10 hours ago, Shosuko said:

Am I understanding that correctly?  and what would the range of their priority effect be?

@Weirdobob Data dump:

The wild fires start on entities within 25 units of the player.

Lureplants are the only entity in the game that has priority and if they are within that range then they start being on fire first.

Here's an image with radii shown on the ranges:

Spoiler

bpsyhpf.jpg

Being anywhere in a bulb's radius will ensure it lights first, and the flingo will put it out.

For reference this is what it looks like with the primary cardinals look like from above:

Spoiler

zN97oh1.png

One fling expands quite a lot by using these.

Calculated the area increase on a perfectly aligned setup to be ~ +3762.52 units^2 compared to just the fling, or ~ 6.32 times more area.

Spoiler

tQLTMk2.png

That is amazing information Carl1!!!!! Thank you so much!!!!!  Especially the visuals, that really expands on what 1 flingo can cover.  And in my game, I just got 3 lureplants this spring so I might expand my base a lot haha

Archived