Unable to play at random

OK so I'll try to make this brief. I'm new to the forum thing so hopefully I'm not posting in the wrong topic (I couldn't do anything else). So I've had this problem before and the only thing that seemed to fix it was shut down my computer and go into command prompt for a reason I don't remember. Anyway, I attached the error on this (its just a screenshot of the window that pops up), and I'm putting this on here because it's only THIS GAME ALONE. I'm positive it's not my mods because I have 3 characters that I use frequently and never had a problem. The 1st time I had this problemo I had ZERO mods so...I'm REALLY hoping someone can help me because I want to play A New Reign soooo badly :(. Another thing to note, I was playing earlier today with no problems: 2 sessions, both about 3 hours each, No Issues. Sorry if this is a bit wordy, but I NEED to fix this because I love this game and this error is just ruining it for me :'(

Thanks in advance - A Fellow Starvian (idk just help me lmao)

helPlease.jpg

3 hours ago, Gamewizerd said:

OK so I'll try to make this brief. I'm new to the forum thing so hopefully I'm not posting in the wrong topic (I couldn't do anything else). So I've had this problem before and the only thing that seemed to fix it was shut down my computer and go into command prompt for a reason I don't remember. Anyway, I attached the error on this (its just a screenshot of the window that pops up), and I'm putting this on here because it's only THIS GAME ALONE. I'm positive it's not my mods because I have 3 characters that I use frequently and never had a problem. The 1st time I had this problemo I had ZERO mods so...I'm REALLY hoping someone can help me because I want to play A New Reign soooo badly :(. Another thing to note, I was playing earlier today with no problems: 2 sessions, both about 3 hours each, No Issues. Sorry if this is a bit wordy, but I NEED to fix this because I love this game and this error is just ruining it for me :'(

Thanks in advance - A Fellow Starvian (idk just help me lmao)

helPlease.jpg

Thank you and welcome to the forums @Fidooop I believe you have dealt with this probleem before care to give the solution again?

This issue actually shows up in 2 areas with DST...

Game Updates:
When there's a "missing privileges" issue or something similar with your Steam when trying to update Don't Starve Together, literally all you have to do is restart your computer and it'll work just fine!

Steam Workshop:
Now this issue gets a LOT more complicated... It happens at random and occurs when unsubbing from a mod or updating several mods at once...
What Happens: Your game will just outright stop updating the mods and if you get to the workshop folders they'll all be filled with empty folders and refuse any and all permissions... (They literally become immortal files sent from hell to never allow anything to delete them)
How To Find Workshop Folders: Grab the mod's ID off of the workshop page's URL and find the folder in the mods folder found in your Don't Starve Together's file directory (which usually is C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together) with that ID.
Mod ID Example: The 'Erik, The Tennis Player' mod's URL is http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=839280973 so the ID would be '839280973' so the folder you'd be looking for is 'workshop-839280973' Sorry, not sorry... Selfish self-plugs are the best!
How To Fix:

• Write down the IDs of the mods that have transcended to immortality
  • Go to your Steam window and in the upper left hand corner, click Steam and then Settings
  • In this window that pops up, go to the Interface tab and make sure that 'Run Steam when my computer starts' is NOT checked
  • Restart your computer
  • When you're back into Windows, DO NOT OPEN STEAM (If you do this you'll have to restart your computer again)
  • Go to the mods folder in your Don't Starve Together directory and one by one go down the list of written down IDs to enter each of these mods' folders and delete the empty folders found inside
  • THEN delete the now 100% empty folders that match each of these IDs
  • After this is all done, you may open up your Steam, launch Don't Starve Together, and update your mods normally

This issue has been very oddly random and somehow has been dodging the guys over at Klei... And what's weirder is that this appears to only be a Windows 10 issue! However, I have been talking with @PeterA about it and even got to send him some screenshots of the permissions issues that occur because of this. Hopefully it helps out even if it's just a little bit! And maybe soon Klei'll get the problem worked out! :D

Thank you @Fidooop so much man! Promote yo self cuz your my fav modder in the Don't Starve Community :D And yes, Windows 10 is such a pain in the ass...Especially since I'm trying to make a character mod with perks. Not only do i lack information on how to do some things, Windows 10 doesn't let me rename files (resolved), some games crash for no reason, cant use some programs, etc.

But yeah, thanks for the reply and ill make sure to try this next time the problem arises. Fingers crossed :3

On 4/5/2017 at 7:51 AM, Fidooop said:

This issue actually shows up in 2 areas with DST...

Game Updates:
When there's a "missing privileges" issue or something similar with your Steam when trying to update Don't Starve Together, literally all you have to do is restart your computer and it'll work just fine!

Steam Workshop:
Now this issue gets a LOT more complicated... It happens at random and occurs when unsubbing from a mod or updating several mods at once...
What Happens: Your game will just outright stop updating the mods and if you get to the workshop folders they'll all be filled with empty folders and refuse any and all permissions... (They literally become immortal files sent from hell to never allow anything to delete them)
How To Find Workshop Folders: Grab the mod's ID off of the workshop page's URL and find the folder in the mods folder found in your Don't Starve Together's file directory (which usually is C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together) with that ID.
Mod ID Example: The 'Erik, The Tennis Player' mod's URL is http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=839280973 so the ID would be '839280973' so the folder you'd be looking for is 'workshop-839280973' Sorry, not sorry... Selfish self-plugs are the best!
How To Fix:

• Write down the IDs of the mods that have transcended to immortality
  • Go to your Steam window and in the upper right hand corner, click Steam and then Settings
  • In this window that pops up, go to the Interface tab and make sure that 'Run Steam when my computer starts' is NOT checked
  • Restart your computer
  • When you're back into Windows, DO NOT OPEN STEAM (If you do this you'll have to restart your computer again)
  • Go to the mods folder in your Don't Starve Together directory and one by one go down the list of written down IDs to enter each of these mods' folders and delete the empty folders found inside
  • THEN delete the now 100% empty folders that match each of these IDs
  • After this is all done, you may open up your Steam, launch Don't Starve Together, and update your mods normally

This issue has been very oddly random and somehow has been dodging the guys over at Klei... And what's weirder is that this appears to only be a Windows 10 issue! However, I have been talking with @PeterA about it and even got to send him some screenshots of the permissions issues that occur because of this. Hopefully it helps out even if it's just a little bit! And maybe soon Klei'll get the problem worked out! :D

Just wanted to say thanks :D I posted on here earlier but I dont know how to work the forums as I'm new to these lol Like I said big fan :3

Archived