No More Nerfs; Why No Character is "OP"

7 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Well, I still strongly disagree with the idea that there IS one, _obviously_, objectively, always and no matter what, "superior" playstyle. There may be some that get you more points with the MLG or optimiser/perfectionist crowds...but seriously, as long as it _works_ for them?

DO NOT SHAME THE WAY PEOPLE PLAY!  Unless they're a total noob, in which case, they just need _teaching_.  If they're the type that refuses to learn, roll your eyes and forget about it.  But I very seriously refuse to believe that there IS one objectively "better", full stop, playstyle. There really are only playstyles _that are better for a specific person_. 

I'm sorry, I know this sounds incredibly hippy-dippy "Can't we all just get along?" but there absolutely are NOT, repeat, _not_ any objectively, to everybody, solid FACT, "better" ways of playing.  There are only ways _you_ prefer more, and ways you don't.  Some people just don't care that much about uber-efficiency, learning how to properly kite and single-combat every single boss in the game, making fire farms, mega bases, or getting the most out of the ruins.

And as long as they're _enjoying_ the game and still living a decent amount of time, that's perfectly fine.

I'm sorry, I just...I really hate it when people come in and state their opinions as DEFINITELY better, that's it, I'm right.  It just sounds so _snooty_.  Doesn't matter if you're totally badass in the game; your opinion is still an opinion.

And THAT'S why Ressayez made this thread, and thank god he did.  We seriously need to stop all the competitive playstyle shaming/bickering/Master-Race and Peasant garbage that, essentially, just boils down to:  "MY CHARACTER COULD BEAT UP _YOUR_ CHARACTER!"  "NUH-UH!"  "COULD TOO!"  "COULD NOT!"  Or at least take it to private messages--especially if the thread ends up with several pages' worth that are essentially a conversation between only two people.

Bless this thread.  It DESPERATELY needed to exist.

Now, where is this gay luxury space communist space colony/forest base again, and how do I sign up?

...Notorious

So, a play-style of ranged weapons is as managable, as fun and as feasible as a melee combat one?

Whatever you think on this matter is up to you, but game mechanics form facts through obvious math. For instance, relying on thulecite crowns long-term mainly, as if you were using them as often as dark swords is almost impossible unless you don't get hit at all a lot of the times that you normally would. Remember that the more players are using them, the more unreliable they become for each player, since green gems are scarce when it comes to renewing them.

There are superior play styles, and whether you want to accept that or not is up to you. You can accept the truth for what it is or you can try to ignore it, but that isn't going to change facts.

Otherwise, us saying "everything is balanced" would somehow magically have everything be balanced when it isn't. And really it's just a ridiculous excuse for not wanting any form of changes to occur.

14 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Well, I still strongly disagree with the idea that there IS one, _obviously_, objectively, always and no matter what, "superior" playstyle. There may be some that get you more points with the MLG or optimiser/perfectionist crowds...but seriously, as long as it _works_ for them?

There are playstyles that are objectively superior though.

Somebody could probably live forever off of rabbits and farmplots, but the person who's living off of bacon and eggs from their bunnymen and spider farms obviously has a better playstyle.

The only superior playstyle is the one a given player finds the most enjoyable, because DS/DST is a game and its only purpose is to be fun. Since which style a player finds most enjoyable depends entirely on the tastes and mood of that particular player, the superiority of any given style is completely and totally subjective. It literally changes from subject to subject.

Archived