Sustainability is possible

I achieved 100% sustainability. I got to cycle 130, but at this point there isn't anything left to do, and my base doesn't consume anything, so it can last forever. I got bored, and thought I would share how I did it.

I rerolled my starting dupes until all three had the Diver's Lung perk, the Small Bladder weakness, and the Vomit stress response.

First thing I did was build a pit to hold the coming storm of vomit and urine. After that I knocked out all the basic research. While that was going on, I was building outhouses everywhere. Each time a dupe would use the outhouse, I would destroy it. Each destroyed outhouse was a lump of contaminated soil laying on the ground. Contaminated soil generates contaminated oxygen, so thats how I kept my oxygen up. A few of my dupes got sick, but the sicknesses aren't lethal, and they wear off over time.

Eventually, the dupes leveled up their skills enough that the decor wasn't keeping up and they started vomiting from stress. Once that happened, I took them to the top of my base and built the long hallway that you see in the image. I put the beds at the end of the hallway as lures. At night, because of the small bladders one (usually more than one) of the dupes will pee the bed. The urine then runs along the floor the whole length of the hallway. This creates a HUGE surface area to generate contaminated oxygen.

With oxygen down, I created a big field of mealwood. I originally had it in the top/right corner of the base. It did a fair job of generating sustainable food. Don't cook it, don't refridgerate it, just put it in boxes. Cooking wastes water, fridges generate heat. It's not worth it. Just make more mealwood.

I was stumped for a while on dealing with CO2. I knew that mealwood absorbs gasses, so I decided to build a CO2 trap at the bottom of the base and move a bunch of mealwood down there too. Turns out, mealwood will happily eat CO2 as it grows.

So yea, infinite air, infinite food, and infinite CO2 management. None of it requires machines that generate heat, so the base stays nice and cool.

I did build a water distillery, as you can see in the image. It works, but it was so slow that it was basically useless. It's a neat challenge though. If you use mealwood to deal with your CO2, you really don't need any water production though. I finished all the research and never needed water again.

Untitled.png

That's pretty impressive, but please don't take it personally when I say that hopefully it won't work for much longer. (Since as you say, there's nothing left to do once you have full sustainability.) I assume they'll fix the conservation of mass issue and the lack of dangerous diseases before the game leaves the alpha stage.

1 minute ago, HenryBlatbugIII said:

That's pretty impressive, but please don't take it personally when I say that hopefully it won't work for much longer. (Since as you say, there's nothing left to do once you have full sustainability.) I assume they'll fix the conservation of mass issue and the lack of dangerous diseases before the game leaves the alpha stage.

No offense taken. I actually agree with you.

I really wanted the steam distillery approach to work. It would have been a lot more interesting.

Unfortunately, it's known a knwon fact that sustainability is possible only if you don't play with the intended mechanics of the game. As it is now, only upsides really tend to pop up from your dupes being stressed out (if they're vomiters). Sustainability is usually used when referring to playing the game with risks in mind (though not much at the moment), and allowing for a replenishable stock of resources by other means than poop and vomit.

Excellent job. And it shows exactly why alpha tests are needed in a game such as this because if we can achieve sustainability by just mistreating our dupes then the mechanics needs to adjusted.

Granted. I'm also pretty callous when it comes to treating my dupes but that's how we find the bugs in the game.

Nice work. I did find out that generating things with the dupes but didn't try what you did and it's brilliant.

I'm really hoping they will do few things to have it not working (because it shouldn't) :

- Dupes should drink and only water they have (thus tracking water "level" in dupes) can be evacuated

- Contaminated dirt should contaminate the oxygen its touching not create some

- Serious illness from long exposure to contaminated oxygen/water

Archived