My attempt at domesticating a puft

Because a puft will suck up contaminated oxygen and in turn spit out slime, one should use that sucker to generate slime that turns into both algae and water while at the same time getting rid of that dirty oxygen.

While working on some gas management in the main base, I noticed that gasses will travel diagonally between tiles when there are diagonal gaps. Your duplicates can also dig/build/grab stuff the same diagonal way. This could very well be intended behavior as the point where the 2 tiles meet isn't very thick at all, but I'm not sure.

On my hunt for algae and slime, I found this little sucker and wanted to see if he/she could be of any use to me. After roughly 15 cycles I managed to get a sort of working system in place. Its not completely finished yet but I hope it's enough to get the idea across.

The suckers can suck in tremendous amounts of contaminated O2 at once, I've seen it doing 3.5K/s. Hoping it can sustain even a fraction of it (500g/s should be more than enough to take care of anything) on a longer time frame, my base will never need those small cleaners anymore. Plus I can clear out all of the natural gas pockets and turn them into slime.

The main part is the flooring. As you can see it's not a strait line. if it were a strait line, then the dropped slime would be unreachable. So by creating the diagonal holes (red lines), the duplicates can pick up any slime that falls on the lower gas-permitable tiles. Sadly, any slime that falls on the upper tiles is unreachable, yet this can be fixed by plugging the holes with tiles and then deconstructing the ones with slime on top to let the slime fall down, then make diagonal holes again and pickup the slime.

ONI captured puft edited.jpg

These pufts are pretty annoying to stay in a room as they will flee on any possible occasion, they will even just strait up open doors... Crafty little suckers. So it takes some time and patience to make sure you do net set it free, as that's not part of the domestication process. Hopefully it will be easier to domesticate these in the future, or (hopefully) I'm just missing a game mechanic that makes it easier.

For example, I have no clue what the hit box of the puft is. Vertically it seems to be 1 tile, while it doesn't seem to be consistent on the horizontal axes with it sometimes trying to escape through a 1 tile gap and sometimes ignoring the same gap.

Does anyone know if they will also put out small amounts of clean O2? With the gasses flowing in this setup here, I can't really tell.

Pufts create clean o2 you can see that on some newly started maps where pufts are visible from the beginning, they al lstart with slightly decontaminated rooms and will end up with completely clean rooms.

I had a room with a door that a puft wouldn't use it to escape

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

x                            puft           x

x                                             x

x                           xxxxxxxxxxx                                                                                                                                                                               

xzzzzzzzzzzzzzzxAxxxxxxxxxx

so this is about the way the room looked, the zzz are permeable tiles, above the A there was a manual airlock and a ladder left to it

the puft never escaped

I had another puft escape while being lazy in building the pe rmeables without opening it's room

it went soo quickly to my water storage and never came out again

if you use a morb with the puft you can turn chlorine into contaminated gas

hatches can eat annoying dupes without leaving a body and can also be used to clean abyssalite for higher deco values

12 hours ago, dunny said:

hatches can eat annoying dupes without leaving a body and can also be used to clean abyssalite for higher deco values

Interesting, how can you get it to them? My Dupes will not store it anywhere?

4 hours ago, Vilda said:

Interesting, how can you get it to them? My Dupes will not store it anywhere?

I try to trap one as soon as possible and then plan on what line I will drop all abysallite and then clean the floor from everything else as well as removing it's option to go elsewhere.

3 hours ago, O.n.y said:

my puffs somehow use manual airlocks and unlock door o_O so they always do manage to escape if door on auto.

Hmm it might be that I had luck that my puft didn't leave the room I had, tho it was a rather big room, it had massive amounts of cont. oxygen and most of the room was above the tunnel that lead to the door leading into the room

i'm planing to domesticating a puft as well (not tried jet)

so please dont blame me if im wrong but:

are puft not just living in contaminated oxygen and just "float" to the clean oxygen to poop out slime (and create clean oxygen)?

after they pooped they will return to the cont. oxygen zone, right?

so isn't it possible to make the entrance to the whole "puft area" (or how do you called this ^^) on top, where the clean oxygen is?

or is the puft really tried to escape no matter what?

3 minutes ago, MicroJackson said:

i'm planing to domesticating a puft as well (not tried jet)

so please dont blame me if im wrong but:

are puft not just living in contaminated oxygen and just "float" to the clean oxygen to poop out slime (and create clean oxygen)?

after they pooped they will return to the cont. oxygen zone, right?

so isn't it possible to make the entrance to the whole "puft area" (or how do you called this ^^) on top, where the clean oxygen is?

or is the puft really tried to escape no matter what?

I think pufts just float up before they make slime and contaminated oxygen and the normal oxygen is usually at the ceiling but they don't float up because of the oxygen.

1 hour ago, Michi01 said:

I think pufts just float up before they make slime and contaminated oxygen and the normal oxygen is usually at the ceiling but they don't float up because of the oxygen.

yeah anyway. the point is to build the entrance to the puft on top where the clean oxygen is.

the question is, are puft trying to escape, when they have the option to, or do they stay in that  contaminated oxygen area?

1 hour ago, haschischtasche said:

Haven't had much experience with Pufts. Do they actually attack Duplicants? Because if they don't, someone totally needs to build a fart-powered room that creates infinite oxygen.

Already did that.

Archived