Mealwood apparantly requires Oxygen

Under the impression that plants in the game do not use up oxygen (because it doesn't state it), I created an air-tight room specifically for my mealwood plants to grow. I then pumped the room full of oxygen and created a two part manual airlock pressure chamber to minimize air pressure loss. However, the level of oxygen inside the room was steadily decreasing until the room was barely breathable. The room, now with fully grown plants, have become almost a vacuum.

Untitled.png

36 minutes ago, jjcm04 said:

I noticed this as well. Also for some reason it gets really, really hot around the plants as well and then they can't grow dew to being stifled.

That may just be a result of having heat generating machinery around the plants. It's usually a good idea to isolate your farm far from your batteries, fridges, and any other thing that requires power.

1 hour ago, Czeraphine said:

Under the impression that plants in the game do not use up oxygen (because it doesn't state it), I created an air-tight room specifically for my mealwood plants to grow. I then pumped the room full of oxygen and created a two part manual airlock pressure chamber to minimize air pressure loss. However, the level of oxygen inside the room was steadily decreasing until the room was barely breathable. The room, now with fully grown plants, have become almost a vacuum.

Untitled.png

Much science. Very wow! 

It would maybe have been weird to have mealwood grow off of nothing, so i guess they need the oxygen right now... 

i hope they are gonna make them need fertilizer instead one day honestly

3 minutes ago, DNsingbanana said:

Much science. Very wow! 

It would maybe have been weird to have mealwood grow off of nothing, so i guess they need the oxygen right now... 

i hope they are gonna make them need fertilizer instead one day honestly

At first I actually thought it was growing off the nutrients supplied by the fertilizer. Oddly they don't. Fertilizer is relatively useless in the current state of the game.

2 hours ago, Czeraphine said:

Untitled.png

has anybody tested the lights on your plants, mainly the light you use to boost your algae oxidizer plants, just to see if your farm grows faster

4 minutes ago, Spider2430 said:

has anybody tested the lights on your plants, mainly the light you use to boost your algae oxidizer plants, just to see if your farm grows faster

Yes I have. When algae terrarium (which is what I think you mean) are under the effect of light, they gain a 10% boost to their oxygen production.

Just now, Spider2430 said:

yes, but can you use it on farming plants, like the ones in your image

also tried that; it doesn't seem to enhance their growth rate. (you can tell since they have a % chance per cycle when you hover over their growth progress)

23 minutes ago, Czeraphine said:

also tried that; it doesn't seem to enhance their growth rate. (you can tell since they have a % chance per cycle when you hover over their growth progress)

How many "up arrows" does it show for you? The mealwood is always at 2 arrows for me, wondering if that actually fluctuates at all

5 minutes ago, Radje said:

How many "up arrows" does it show for you? The mealwood is always at 2 arrows for me, wondering if that actually fluctuates at all

It's not about the number of up arrows. It displays the actual value of how many percentage points it gains per cycle. Hover over "growth progress" under "needs" when you click on the plant.

Just now, Czeraphine said:

It's not about the number of up arrows. It displays the actual value of how many percentage points it gains per cycle. Hover over "growth progress" under "needs" when you click on the plant.

Yeah it shows 20% per cycle if I'm not mistaken, that's with the 2 arrows. The arrows do differ at times, at least for things like stress and it has a corresponding different % change at that point. Just didn't see it happen for plants yet.

They don't need oxygen,  specifically. I'm growing a farm of 50 plants in a two floor setup designed as a carbon dioxide sink. They grow just fine with no noticeable change from any other gas mix. The only thing I have noticed them living in, and haven't tested, is chlorine. 

4 minutes ago, Zervo said:

they said that it didn't consume anymore gas anymore since the last patch. i haven't tried it yet tho.

I can confirm this. My carefully planned air circulation system based on mealwood suction has stopped working so they've updated that in a patch and forgot to tell us.

Archived