Where can I find the assets?

I want to update the wiki pages with actual pictures and not some low-resolution screenshots so I was looking for all of the assets and all I could find is 2 files:
resources.assets
resources.assets.rsS
And I couldn't find any useful guides on how to extract file from these.
Any advice?

1 hour ago, roydbt said:

I want to update the wiki pages with actual pictures and not some low-resolution screenshots so I was looking for all of the assets and all I could find is 2 files:
resources.assets
resources.assets.rsS
And I couldn't find any useful guides on how to extract file from these.
Any advice?

1 hour ago, ImDaMisterL said:

I don't think Klei officially added a way yet... maybe a modder could help you out? I sure hope so.

I assume that .asset files are Unity asset files, in which there are ways unpack them, results may vary.

Just now, Spider2430 said:

But they could have encrypted the file so that way it's not possible until release

They could do that (probably, I'm not sure Unity offers this apart from .asset file itself.), but what would be the point of that, people would still be able to extract it. You have to remember that there are far bigger games out there that uses Unity, and as a result a large collection of tools to deal with Unity, it's files and encryption of said files.

7 minutes ago, Moonkis said:

They could do that (probably, I'm not sure Unity offers this apart from .asset file itself.), but what would be the point of that, people would still be able to extract it. You have to remember that there are far bigger games out there that uses Unity, and as a result a large collection of tools to deal with Unity, it's files and encryption of said files.

Yeah, but what nut is going to sit there for hours trying to encrypt it when they could be playing the game and shooting out ideas

Just now, Spider2430 said:

Yeah, but what nut is going to sit there for hours trying to encrypt it when they could be playing the game and shooting out ideas

I'll take that as a compliment! ;) You severely underestimates the passion for this kind of stuff.

I'll use Don't Starve (SUPER EARLY DAYS) as an anecdote. Back way back when, the lua files used to be compiled, and you had to de-compile each file, and most of the time, if you where lucky it would de-compile somewhat fine, most of the time. Me, and a smaller group spent hours scavenging through the code, assets and whatnot. We would find easter-eggs, improved information on wikis, future content that wasn't yet included in the game and even fix broken parts of the game long before it actually made it into an official patch. It's fun! You get to see people be happy about your work and honestly that's more satisfaction than I ever get from a game.

Heck, Klei embraced it and included part of their famous patch-puzzles in the code for data miners to find and theorize about, share with the community. At one point they even stopped pre-compile their lua files so that everyone could dig around and mess about with the scripts, it's pretty much how the modding community was born for that game.

I met some of my greatest friends during that period of my life, which I still have extensive contact with.

tl;dr It's a hobby, like stamp-collecting or knitting. 

On 2/18/2017 at 9:55 PM, Moonkis said:

I'll use Don't Starve (SUPER EARLY DAYS) as an anecdote. Back way back when, the lua files used to be compiled, and you had to de-compile each file, and most of the time, if you where lucky it would de-compile somewhat fine, most of the time. Me, and a smaller group spent hours scavenging through the code, assets and whatnot. We would find easter-eggs, improved information on wikis, future content that wasn't yet included in the game and even fix broken parts of the game long before it actually made it into an official patch. It's fun! You get to see people be happy about your work and honestly that's more satisfaction than I ever get from a game.

Heck, Klei embraced it and included part of their famous patch-puzzles in the code for data miners to find and theorize about, share with the community. At one point they even stopped pre-compile their lua files so that everyone could dig around and mess about with the scripts, it's pretty much how the modding community was born for that game.

I met some of my greatest friends during that period of my life, which I still have extensive contact with.

This was pretty much the only reason I ever got into modding this game in the first place. If they hadn't made the move to LUA files loaded at run-time, I don't think the modding scene would have ever taken off.

As they used to say, those were the days...

Archived