~Matt's thread of sharing sounds

~Matt

Loves, I don't know about y'all but music is a huge part of my life. New sounds, like none you've ever heard before or will hear after, seem to make the whole world get wider. They are thrilling to find, fulfilling to listen to. But sometimes it's incredibly hard to come across something new, and that's why I wanted to create this thread.

The objective here is to gather pieces of music (albums, tracks, entire discographies, you name it) that you think are amazing and more obscure than they deserve to be. If you can and want to, also say something about the piece you posted, its author, anything that may help build interest.

I'll start.

And to start I'll show you guys the work of a band that's actually from the city I live in! It's called Mahmed and last year their first album, Sobre A Vida Em Comunidade, was released. In its core the band is entirely instrumental, but some of their tracks include guest work in vocals. While still a bit obscure even in our own country, the band seems to be crawling out of it, and even has, earlier this year, played as opening to a Radiohead concert. Enjoy!

Minimalist music doesn't get the rep it deserves. This 6 minutes long excerpt is from a beautiful 23 minutes long track that is eponymous to the album it is in: On The Other Ocean. Its composer and performer, David Behrman, is (alive and) a pioneer of computer music, having worked with it since the 1960s. Here you can find free samples of his work and much, much more information about Behrman, but you can do that later. Right now you can just hit play, close your eyes and meet me on the other ocean

I have no idea who the people behind this are. This is just an album I stumbled upon while listening to a Broadcast song, namely Colour Me In, on YouTube. What I can only assume is the channel of the independent label that was used to record this had commented the link and I wasn't doing anything anyway, so just figured I'd give it a listen. Turns out it's free for download (as are all other 3 albums that the artist has uploaded) and sounds very unique.

Click here to listen to it in an embedded player* or here to go to the album page on Bandcamp.

* If there actually is a way to embed the player on this post, please let me know. I'll let you call me a dummy.

It's a shame that a recent incident has made this band's sound, which is so lovely, fill me with melancholy. I don't know how many of you have heard of the Oakland warehouse fire that happened two weeks ago (02 Dec.), but a member of this band, Cash Askew, was among the thirty six casualties. As someone inserted in a culture in which death is dealt with mourning and sadness, I can't help but hear something of a bauhausesque tone in anything recently tied to the passing of someone, something that has happened even with my listening of King Crimson after Greg Lake's also recent death. However, as with King Crimson, whatever grim notes I hear are probably an illusion, as this band has a music rooted in a dreamy interpretation of indie and pop. It feels much more like silk sheets than a cold embrace, and I hope to soon be capable of listening to this not in mourning for the dead, but in celebration of their lives.

On 11/7/2016 at 11:29 PM, ~Matt said:

David Behrman - On the Other Ocean

Ooh, thanks for this one, man. Love minimalistic music. Reminds me of Terry Riley.

It may be due to the title, but this reminds me of Become Ocean by John Luther Adams, a similarly minimalistic composer. Adams composes music inspired by nature. On this note, Become Ocean attempts to emulate the unpredictable swelling surges and releases of the ocean. Adams wrote this piece in response to the ever-pressing nature of global warming, reflecting the power of the growing ocean to elicit fright and wonder in the listener. Taylor Swift actually donated $50,000 to the Seattle Symphony after hearing their rendition of Become Ocean.

@Ridd

Video shows up as unavailable for me, but I've found it in bandcamp, so it's all okay!

Yes, it might have been because of the title, but it's really interesting to see how each piece pushes the ocean imagery in our minds. Behrman's water has an unparalleled tranquility, the sounds bring either the feeling of a beach or of being still, floating in a body of water that doesn't even seem to ripple with your presence, while Adams' is as you put it: unpredictable. The ocean moves you around, seizes control, even in its calmest moments. It's our job to let go and follow its will, like The Hanged Man in tarot. Thanks for showing this amazing composition! What you said about his motives for creating Become Ocean reminds me of Brian Eno's for creating Ambient 1: Music For Airports, a sense of pressure from an uncontrollable force. Adams' being global warming, Eno's the "uninspired sound atmosphere" of the Cologne Bonn Airport.

If Eno can be considered obscure enough to make it into this thread is very debatable, but still listening to what you recommended made my mind fly straight into him, so I can't help myself.

Archived