Option to toggle Movement Prediction in Settings.

So today was pretty great, I got my Key in the mail and I was havin' a blast seeing all the new adaptions to PS4, and see some of my forum pals who made it into the Beta. However, One major flaw in the game is that I'm unable to turn off movement prediction, due to there being no access to console. So if I may ask, please add a toggle function in the Settings to turn it on or off.

The reason I propose this is because many people are going to be using PS4 to play soon, and most people will complain about the distinct difference between movement and real time gameplay, and when this happens, people will stop playing because the movement is sometimes too annoying to deal with. This also causes problem in PvE Combat, and PVP Combat because when you're fighting, you always have to face what you want to attack, and there is NO proc whatsoever, and makes it easy to mess up your fighting scheme.

For those wondering what Movement Prediction is; Movement Prediction is when you input actions for your character, and the server calculates where you're going, to help reduce lag, and will predict what action the player will be doing next, and cause rubber-banding on some occasions. Turning it off will make it so the server won't calculate where you're going, but will causes slight delay but improve gameplay significantly because you are freely seeing where your character is in real time, making fighting and resource gathering more effective, and faster.

Spoiler

This was the only way I could explain it, If I didn't explain it well lemme know.

• Developer

Good to hear you are having fun in the beta. 

Adding a setting for movement prediction is something we have been discussing in the office and haven't fully decided upon it yet. It's a hard setting to quickly explain to most people. Thanks for your vote on the issue.

11 hours ago, SuperPsiPower said:

So today was pretty great, I got my Key in the mail and I was havin' a blast seeing all the new adaptions to PS4, and see some of my forum pals who made it into the Beta. However, One major flaw in the game is that I'm unable to turn off movement prediction, due to there being no access to console. So if I may ask, please add a toggle function in the Settings to turn it on or off.

The reason I propose this is because many people are going to be using PS4 to play soon, and most people will complain about the distinct difference between movement and real time gameplay, and when this happens, people will stop playing because the movement is sometimes too annoying to deal with. This also causes problem in PvE Combat, and PVP Combat because when you're fighting, you always have to face what you want to attack, and there is NO proc whatsoever, and makes it easy to mess up your fighting scheme.

For those wondering what Movement Prediction is; Movement Prediction is when you input actions for your character, and the server calculates where you're going, to help reduce lag, and will predict what action the player will be doing next, and cause rubber-banding on some occasions. Turning it off will make it so the server won't calculate where you're going, but will causes slight delay but improve gameplay significantly because you are freely seeing where your character is in real time, making fighting and resource gathering more effective, and faster.

Reveal hidden contents

This was the only way I could explain it, If I didn't explain it well lemme know.

I'm glad you brought this up. I was getting hit by something as simple as a spider continuously, causing me to waste durability off my helmet because of the movement prediction. I would rather see exactly where I am, otherwise it's harder when you're in combat.

Please consider adding in the ability to turn this off if it's possible, this was something that bugged me a lot when I used to play it on steam.

3 hours ago, ScottHansen said:

Adding a setting for movement prediction is something we have been discussing in the office and haven't fully decided upon it yet. It's a hard setting to quickly explain to most people. Thanks for your vote on the issue.

You could always just have movement prediction on by default and have a pop up saying "switch this on if you don't want Bullplop gameplay"

Ok, I'm actually begging the developers to include the option to enable/disable prediction movement. My team mate and I just got killed by deerclops. Neither of us could tell where our characters were at, our screens would show us far away from his ground slam attack, yet we would still get hit almost 50% of the time. I can kill deerclops on my own in singleplayer and his doubled health isn't the issue for me in DST, it's the prediction movement for sure that is making it almost impossible to fight not only him but other things accurately.

@ScottHansen you already have hover text over the world gen icons as a host, how about adding that when we look at server settings as clients? Also, as a suggestion for text on Movement Prediction for both:

[Delay] Predict movement or trust server ... Move Predict <>  Disable

Maybe not the best text suggestion, but trying to think of ways that complete noobs to multiplayer games can understand what MP means in very few words. I don't play MMOs and didn't know the term "movement prediction" until playing this game and reading up on others explanations, but I think if I had had seen wording similar to what I posted above as a new player, I would have tried playing, and then looked up the exact details afterwards to figure out what it meant. There may not be a way to fully explain it in a few words, but there could be ways to strongly hint at it and inspire players to figure it out.

In any case, as @SuperPsiPower suggests, I think it would be a good feature to add in world-gen options or standard Settings/Controls.

54 minutes ago, imsomony said:

In any case, as @SuperPsiPower suggests, I think it would be a good feature to add in world-gen options or standard Settings/Controls.

I don't know how I'd feel about it being a World-gen option, considering the majority of people don't even know what it does, and I don't think it could be a World-gen option anyway because Movement Prediction is purely Client side.

48 minutes ago, SuperPsiPower said:

I don't know how I'd feel about it being a World-gen option, considering the majority of people don't even know what it does, and I don't think it could be a World-gen option anyway because Movement Prediction is purely Client side.

That's true, so perhaps it would be best to have it in the settings/controls for each client. But even in that case, do you think people would consider looking there? I mean, if many people aren't even looking at the front-and-center details of what details are on a server that they join... are they looking at their specific settings if they don't know there's a problem? 

I don't know a huge amount about coding, basically just enough to get me in trouble, haha... but there should be a way to have it on by default, like it is currently, but if/when a player joins a PVP-world, it gets toggled-off as a result of that condition while also being able to be adjusted by the client as-needed. Seems to me like PVP is the most relevant play experience where it matters. That said, I only play PVE and don't join servers with triple digit ping, so I'll certainly defer to others with more insight. I do agree that it should be an option in some way though, I've watched more than enough of you struggle with MP and see how it's an issue. It will only get worse with the lack of modding/console capabilities with PS4.

I'm thinking it could be placed either within settings underneath the option to turn on/off wigfrid'a umlauts, or somewhere in the social wheel. A brief description or tool tip can be provided to explain what it is. More than likely, people will look it up to get more information if they don't know what it is.

Edit: A tick box for it could be provided on the choose character screen when joining a server for the first time, letting you know you can toggle this option on or off anytime by going to said place.

Movement prediction is mostly the same for all games.

You send input to server, client runs input itself, server gets input and updates, if client update matches server update, all is good, else, synchronize with server and act accordingly.

When only walking, this works great, unless you have a huge ping (then you get teleported to previous locations regardless). But you don't just walk. When doing anything else, you will see your character having delays in the animations, rather than delays on the reactions.

Just put in Settings, "Client Prediction: On/Off", with default being "On".

I would argue for the default to be "Off", since you need less than 100 ping to have non trivial delays. I have not had a single time where I said "I wish I had prediction turned on". Ever. Being able to dodge damage without having to gamble about my actual position outweighs the delays.

But in terms of complaints, yeah, you can't win. It's either "why stuff hits me from away???" versus "why I have lag when playing???".

Both get solved entering low latency servers. But which one is worse when entering a laggy server?

4 hours ago, DarkXero said:

Movement prediction is mostly the same for all games.

You send input to server, client runs input itself, server gets input and updates, if client update matches server update, all is good, else, synchronize with server and act accordingly.

When only walking, this works great, unless you have a huge ping (then you get teleported to previous locations regardless). But you don't just walk. When doing anything else, you will see your character having delays in the animations, rather than delays on the reactions.

Just put in Settings, "Client Prediction: On/Off", with default being "On".

I would argue for the default to be "Off", since you need less than 100 ping to have non trivial delays. I have not had a single time where I said "I wish I had prediction turned on". Ever. Being able to dodge damage without having to gamble about my actual position outweighs the delays.

But in terms of complaints, yeah, you can't win. It's either "why stuff hits me from away???" versus "why I have lag when playing???".

Both get solved entering low latency servers. But which one is worse when entering a laggy server?

I find this really interesting. I've never played a game where this has occurred. What is it within a game where movement prediction is this way for some games (i.e., type of servers used, programming, etc)? How come it can't just be normal movement all the time? Thank you for explaining everything as well.

I actually think this is a great idea, I came here to make the same topic but saw this one had been made, kiting is very hard and gets you hit with the current movement prediction, my bud and I couldn't fight the Deerclops either Posterxg1rl, we eventually gave up and went looking for other ways to take em out.

On 7/19/2016 at 10:53 AM, ScottHansen said:

@ScottHansen pls give us the option i have $40 ready once it releases but movement prediction is so hard to deal with and why is there movement prediction when you are playing the style alone or the secret split screen style of server or when you are the host

2 hours ago, ScottHansen said:

For the next patch (Monday is a holiday for us so probably mid next week), there will be a new item in the options menu labeled "Lag Compensation" which will toggle movement prediction on and off.

Thank you! This was the only thing I really wanted in the ps4 version. You all are awesome with making these changes for us. 

3 hours ago, ScottHansen said:

For the next patch (Monday is a holiday for us so probably mid next week), there will be a new item in the options menu labeled "Lag Compensation" which will toggle movement prediction on and off.

Thanks very much. This will make the game a lot easier to play!

Archived