How to find gears?

So, I have recently been addicted to Don't Starve. I've also been starting to like WX-78 a lot. The main problem though is gears. On one of my average worlds I need about 4-6 gears, (2 iceboxes, a flingomatic and some gears for WX-78). Sometimes though this can be very hard and frustrating to find enough gears. I've dug graves, looked for ruins, picked tumbleweeds, searched for clockworks. etc. These techniques take lots of time, and aren't even guaranteed to work. I understand that finding gears are mostly all based on luck, but is there any other way to easily get some?

-Chaq

2 hours ago, CarlZalph said:

As you've stated ruins rushing is a great method on getting a lot of gears.

I'm no expert on it, but I was able to fully ruins myself by day 10.

Ruins is a great method as I've read, but its hard to find them. Ive only found the ruins once on DST, and of course this was in my early days when I didn't even know how valuable they are. I could probably find ruins if I spent 5-10 days searching, but that takes lots of time that you could spend preparing for winter or making a base.

You don't need to go far. As soon as you see the first splumonkey or Relic you know you're near.

If you be lucky enough to find the military, you may even loot 15+ gears in there, not counting the gems and thulecite

But better bring followers or other players, it's a suicide mission to go alone

1 hour ago, spiderdian said:

You don't need to go far. As soon as you see the first splumonkey or Relic you know you're near.

If you be lucky enough to find the military, you may even loot 15+ gears in there, not counting the gems and thulecite

But better bring followers or other players, it's a suicide mission to go alone

Its not that easy for me. I've spent many days and wasted a lot of time looking for the ruins just to find nothing. I have though, found a better way (for me at least) to get gears. I was playing in a new world and had a huge desert next to my base. I decided to pick some tumbleweeds and found its pretty easy to get gears from them. Its only a 1% chance I believe, but going 1-2 days in a desert just picking tumbleweeds gave me about 3-4 gears.

6 minutes ago, t0panka said:

Just do tumbleweeds runs dude. I think that chance of gears in tumbleweeds is bigger than in DS and with full desert run you can get 2-3 gears without problems.

Yeah, I just recently found that out and it is very effective. I think in my world I'm just gonna keep doing tumbleweed runs until I have enough to max out WX-78.

22 minutes ago, t0panka said:

Just do tumbleweeds runs dude. I think that chance of gears in tumbleweeds is bigger than in DS and with full desert run you can get 2-3 gears without problems.

19 minutes ago, Chaquinn said:

Yeah, I just recently found that out and it is very effective. I think in my world I'm just gonna keep doing tumbleweed runs until I have enough to max out WX-78.

You've got a 1% chance per tumbleweed to pull gears. It's not uncommon to get lucky and find a couple in relatively few tries but you'll feel the probability evening out long before you've fully upgraded WX.

Archived