So... this happened on the official Klei server. A Wickerbottom used 'On Tentacles' to spawn a bunch of tentacles around the portal, and walled it off for players entering the server to be killed. 

20160619011544_1.jpg

BestPlayerEver was the only Wickerbottom on the server who could do this.

20160619011640_1.jpg

As seen on the Klei Official Server (cooperative mind you), they also had a friend on earlier and other players didn't vote, so kicking wasn't an option.

20160619015905_1.jpg

Just another image to show the server.

20160619013126_1.jpg

And what we did to stop this? Only could warn other players entering the world, got other players who were killed to stay if they wanted to just camp it out until Wickerbottom died to terrorbeaks. He also tried to lead me and other dead players to this touchstone to be killed by guess what, more tentacles surrounding it. He eventually left.

So question is... what is there to be done about this? Should there be any fixes for this being done? Can he get reported for doing this? This happened on an Official Klei server, which is in the Cooperative section. I can understand this being done on a pvp/anarchy server or something, or on other hosted games. But this wasn't the case.

Should the area around the portal/touchstone be immune to tentacle spawns? I'd like to know. I bet this was a frustrating experience for any new players trying to join a cooperative server.

I don't think Klei has really addressed this because "On Tentacles" doesn't come as easy as a torch or other greifing items, it requires a tentacle spot, which drops from a mob that does TONS of damage and has a DEADLY stun lock. In my Wickerbottom experiences a boomerang and halfish is enough to kill 1 tentacle, which isn't even guaranteed to drop a spot. Basically, to tentacle greif as Wicker you'd have to be VERY dedicated to being a jerk.

Unfortunately, some people ARE that dedicated to being a bag of dicks.  Usually you'd think it'd just be a casual, "Tee hee, I have five minutes, let's see how I can bug people and watch them yell!" but...well, gather 'round, kids!  It's time for Storytime With Chaotica.

I was once on this forum where this dirtbag came on pretending to be other forumers (it didn't have a login system, very primitive) and saying awful things "as" them.  Fortunately, we could tell who it was 'cos the troll could NOT spell for beans--not to mention they would've had to completely changed their personalities overnight to say these things and mean it.  I was one of the many targeted.  The fact that I am such a stickler for spelling "even on the Internet" was, in fact, one of the main things that helped us catch the bastard.

So, we kicked him.

He came back.  (The very next day.  He couldn't stay away!)  Banned his new name. Came back.

MOVED FORUMS ENTIRELY, in a move that the forum owner had been planning to do for a while anyway, but this sped up her decision. The new one required you to log in, so you could no longer impersonate people.

Mr. Douchenozzle showed up again!  This time, he was just saying obnoxious stuff in general, including racial slurs and dragging Hitler into the conversation at random.  (Yes, I just Godwinned the conversation by proxy.  Sorry.)

We banned him again. And again. And again.  Over SEVERAL different names.  Total IP bans.  Moved forums a total of _three times_.

..and yet, we didn't see the back of him until OVER.  A FREAKING.  _YEAR_ since he first came on board.

Yeah, some people ARE _that_ dedicated to their douchebaggery. They really are.  Waiting until you have a tentacle spot doesn't really surprise me, considering.

...Notorious

On 6/26/2016 at 11:09 AM, CaptainChaotica said:

-snip-

So, we kicked him.

He came back.  (The very next day.  He couldn't stay away!)  Banned his new name. Came back.

MOVED FORUMS ENTIRELY, in a move that the forum owner had been planning to do for a while anyway, but this sped up her decision. The new one required you to log in, so you could no longer impersonate people.

Mr. Douchenozzle showed up again!  This time, he was just saying obnoxious stuff in general, including racial slurs and dragging Hitler into the conversation at random.  (Yes, I just Godwinned the conversation by proxy.  Sorry.)

We banned him again. And again. And again.  Over SEVERAL different names.  Total IP bans.  Moved forums a total of _three times_.

..and yet, we didn't see the back of him until OVER.  A FREAKING.  _YEAR_ since he first came on board.

Yeah, some people ARE _that_ dedicated to their douchebaggery. They really are.  Waiting until you have a tentacle spot doesn't really surprise me, considering.

...Notorious

That guy sounds like the Willow griefer I met several days ago, would leave during vote kick or just rejoin after kick to burn everything again several times for several ingame days. New players and afk/ghost people prevented any kicks or rollbacks at a point. And ofc he had slurs in his name and a well... an undesirable profile picture.

Also people are that dedicated, though I find it easy myself to kill a tentacle early with a spear if kited properly, this guy had a friend who was Wigfreid who easily kill all the tentacles needed for the spots. Like seriously, if you are any means decent at the game and have movement prediction off can kill tentacles. I do it as Wes all the time (though with a logsuit, which is also easy to make).

Well, the main problem here is that people are putting tentacles right at _spawn_, where brand-new, totally unequipped characters aren't ready for it yet.  From outside the tentacles' range and with decent armour and weapons, sure.  Appearing right in the middle of them with nothing?  Yeah...

...Notorious

7 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Well, the main problem here is that people are putting tentacles right at _spawn_, where brand-new, totally unequipped characters aren't ready for it yet.  From outside the tentacles' range and with decent armour and weapons, sure.  Appearing right in the middle of them with nothing?  Yeah...

...Notorious

and no punishment whatsoever :/

in Asia server, we have a group of griefer planning by sending one of them acting innocent like, after that they send the torches and burn everything to the ground, and we can't vote kick em too.

Some people just have way to much time...

Archived